Forum Member

Default motorola minitor v ?

I just go hired as a call firefighter and was given this pager. I know how to change the channel from scan for our two districts and how to have it on only my district, but what does the button on top of the abcd dial do? and the reset button on the top right that makes it squelch, how does this stuff work? I don't know if it has stored voice or not but I am just curious because there are no user manuals anywhere and just want to know what all the buttons do. Thanks.

Forum Member

The button is for stored voice playback.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

ABCD are different freq./alert options. It depends how it was set up, so you will need to try them out or ask. Mine is set:

A-audible and vibrate alert
    B-vibrate alert
    C-Open on Channel 1, vibrate alert
    D-Priority Scan of 2 channels, audible and vibe alert.

Top button on ABCD knob is repeat stored, top corner button is squelch. Sometimes I need to push this to get it to close after a tone or it just stays open with static.

See if this works:

http://forums.radioreference.com/att...user-guide.pdf

MembersZone Subscriber

The other 2 posts explain what to do with the pager, but there's no explanation for the people that set you up for failure by not telling you how to work it!!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    The other 2 posts explain what to do with the pager, but there's no explanation for the people that set you up for failure by not telling you how to work it!!
    It's a pager...it goes off, you reset it. Not a whole lot to learn...
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

You'd be surprised how many times people have come on here wondering how the thing works because they're handed a pager with no instruction.

Forum Member

ok so I understand it now, and I was told about which abcd channels are which but not about any other buttons. But wait so after a tone goes off I need to reset it? When do I need to hit the reset button?

Forum Member

I know how to change the abcd channels and what they do, but I was confused as to what the top button and side button did. Wait GTRider what do you mean I have to reset it after I get a call?

Forum Member

Sometimes, no apparent reason, the squelch will not close and it will sit there hissing. Hitting the side button will close the squelch.

Forum Member

Also, after a tone, the red light will stay on indicating it has been tripped. It will stay on until you listen to the message all the way through or turn it off and on again.

Pushing the stored voice button once will play the most recent tone first. Pushing it again will keep going backwards through the stored pages if you have more than one. Once you reach the end, it will beep and stop. So if you missed an address or something, you can hit the repeat button. Once you get the info you need, hit it again and (if it's the only stored page) it will beep and go back to monitor or whatever you have it set at without having to listen to the entire message again. If you have more than one stored page, you will have to hit it mutiple times until you reach the end and it beeps.

Forum Member

thanks for the replies that helps out a lot seeing as that red light stayed on today.

Forum Member

I hope this isnt too off topic.

Ive used all the minitor models from II to V.

It would appear that the reception ranges for the models has decreased somewhat over the years, as the models have evolved.

An oldtimer (real old timer he joined our dept in the 1960's), who's also our pager maintainance says he thinks this may be due to changing fcc regulations governing devices such as these pager systems.

Is there anything to that?

P.S. - the area my dept operates in is covered in foothills, and we operate our dispatch system at 46.40, supposedly lowband radio freq's work better in areas with alot of hills.

Forum Member

The FCC has nothing to do with it. Electronically synthesized receivers are naturally a hair less sensitive than older crystal controlled receivers. Minitor I and II pagers used crystals. The III, IV, and IV along with all non archaic two-way radios are electronically synthesized. The difference is marginal, but everyone is picky so the slightest necessary difference in the name of progress is made into a big deal. Complaining about the old pagers receiving better is a common but pointless complaint.

The theory that low band works better in hills is mostly a myth too. There are too many factors in how radio signals propagate to summarize it in a blanket statement like that. To give you an example, in our hilly terrain, 50 watts UHF works better than 200 watts on low band.

Forum Member

Hmm intresting i always thought that low freq radio waves penetrated matter more easily. Thats why they use ULF for submarines (ultra low freq).

By the way did you know that if you built a prism out of stone it will split radio waves the same as a glass one will with visable light?

[Then theres that thing with infra red and smoke]

Fact is that low freq electormagnetic waves move farther through matter than high freq ones do, ask any physicist.

Its documented , tried , true , and tested.

The thing about crystals vs synth seems valid though.

MembersZone Subscriber

When dealing with RF NMfire is totally correct.

Low band works GREAT over long distances, to mobiles, etc. However, this causes
    skip, which means interference, and long antennas are needed. Portable coverage is
    terrible. Manufacturers are few that even make low band equipment anymore.

VHF works very well in the suburban areas, rolling hills, etc, but penetration - a matter more of the length of the waves - is subpar into buildings.

UHF does not have quite the reach of VHF in free space, but has better penetration and
    terrain following.

800 again shorter reach in free space, but superior penetration into buildings. Think about a long wave such as found at 40 MHZ trying to penetrate into a building - it simply is harder to make it through and opening, whereas 800 is a much shorter wavelength.

Your reference to ULF is comparing apples to oranges - those messages are extremely short, normally just a single item, say for instance the letter A in CW. They penetrate the earth, but not at the voice and data levels that we are accustomed to. That letter A simply tells the submarine to surface, or come up to depth to float or extend and antenna to get the message.

I guess we could send out a message on ULF to get everyone underwater to get on a hill to recieve the dispatch....

This is tried and true - documented, tested, confirmed, and the basis for radio communications systems everywhere.

Forum Member

Nice

I now know more than i did before

Thats the purpose of these forums after all

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeffvic View Post
    If you have more than one stored page, you will have to hit it mutiple times until you reach the end and it beeps.
    or hit the reset/squelch button on the side

Thread Information