MembersZone Subscriber

Default AFG budget "adjustments"...

A few of us have been discussing "budget adjustments" in the "Glimmer of Hope thread." I just discovered that several of the grants I have written have been "adjusted."

So I am starting a new thread about it because I was wanting to bring it to some of you grant gurus attention and to get your thoughts of what exactly it means.

As a side note, none of my 1199s have been updated.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Snipe hunted a few apps and found 2 with SCBA pricing reduced to $5250 from the $6000 that was requested. One had quantity reduced from 14 to 11. Word is that DHS wants things to move and move quick so looks like reductions are being handled first by Program Management as part of the recommendation to release 1199As before they're actually released. Guess we'll see them shortly. Their goal is to drop a lot of awards before year's end so everyone needs to be on their toes for 1199A submissions and reduction requests. Early rounds will be those that act quick.

Also for anyone that doesn't see a budget change you may be under their limits for funding so don't fret yet and think you're out of the game. Long way to go before this ride is over.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Snipe hunted a few apps and found 2 with SCBA pricing reduced to $5250 from the $6000 that was requested. One had quantity reduced from 14 to 11. Word is that DHS wants things to move and move quick so looks like reductions are being handled first by Program Management as part of the recommendation to release 1199As before they're actually released. Guess we'll see them shortly. Their goal is to drop a lot of awards before year's end so everyone needs to be on their toes for 1199A submissions and reduction requests. Early rounds will be those that act quick.

Also for anyone that doesn't see a budget change you may be under their limits for funding so don't fret yet and think you're out of the game. Long way to go before this ride is over.

Brian, you are the one I have been waiting to hear from. I have gotten budget reductions on five grants--that I can access right now (I am at my second job and all my log in/passwords are in a file cabinet at my first job--have to wait until tomorrow to get them). None of them have 1199a changes/updates/whatever you want to call them.

I hope you are right about them being ready to drop them because I can't take this kind of anticipation--it's one thing to go a long time without knowing anything; it's completely different to be teased AND THEN have to keep waiting!

MembersZone Subscriber

anyone have a list if max values for turnouts, gloves, etc?

Forum Member

Cool

I just checked my vehicle application and it was reduced by 27K, maybe tomorrow will be the 1199 release (the day I picked).

Forum Member

Cool

I also checked my OPS application and it was increased by $580 from the original request.

Forum Member

where are you guys finding this

MembersZone Subscriber

20 minutes North of Cooperstown, NY/ Baseball Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyMan29 View Post
    where are you guys finding this
    Moneyman,

you have to go to the status page on the FEMA web sight, log in and check your app. there.

I have no 1199's new or old, but I did find a reduction of $65 per set of PPE for 20 sets.

Oh how I hope this is a good sign!

Forum Member

rjcont, just wondering what that reduction brought your sets down to?

MembersZone Subscriber

No reduction in ours, but with the numbers we used it wouldn't be expected anyway. We've had good success in the past, so it's getting tough to put together a need that fits the program priorities. Got a chance, but i think ours is slim.

earl

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shinds View Post
    I just checked my vehicle application and it was reduced by 27K, maybe tomorrow will be the 1199 release (the day I picked).
    What vehicle did you ask for? We desperately need a new tanker, but are the vehicle priorities pumpers first?

MembersZone Subscriber

Found 6 that I helped with that had reductions.

Looks like SCBA will be $5250 per unit.
    Last edited by onebugle; 11-10-2009 at 10:26 AM.

Forum Member

Our new complete fill station was reduced to 32500 and a RIT pack to 3500.

Forum Member

We were reduced on turn-outs from 15 sets to 3 sets. I know we had to enter the age and it looks like they need to be over 10 years old. I thought NFPA said 5 years. Anyway the 12 sets that they deleted are in pretty rough shape. Would it be worth my while to question the reduction or are their age limits cut in stone?

Forum Member

Wink sure!

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy1 View Post
    We were reduced on turn-outs from 15 sets to 3 sets. I know we had to enter the age and it looks like they need to be over 10 years old. I thought NFPA said 5 years. Anyway the 12 sets that they deleted are in pretty rough shape. Would it be worth my while to question the reduction or are their age limits cut in stone?
    After you get the 10 questions. I think it would be worth a shot. At least you will hear their reasons why. My rep cleared everything up for me when I asked.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

waterboy depends on the age. DHS themselves says anything 8 years and older at the time of application since NFPA is 10 and out. They used to say 5 since if it didn't pass the tests at that age it had to go also. If you have the repair records on the 12 sets they're proposing to replace you can use those to plead your case. Or if it failed the last inspections that means that technically you don't have gear but they don't have a way to represent that in the apps other than the narrative. Reductions mainly use the request details, they don't look over the narratives.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    anyone have a list if max values for turnouts, gloves, etc?
    That is a good question. Brian. Kurt would you guys have a link or a list we could look at?

Myself no reductions, but I based my price for a vehicle on one we bought 4 years ago and then added the increase in chassis and metal costs. Ops app was strictly based on the middle range of quotes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just took a look at my budget, yep there is a reduction of just over $5,000 for my turn-out application. Complete set is looking like $2,050 award range.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Last year it was $900 coats, $800 pants, $250 boots & helmet, $50 hoods & gloves, $100 on flashlights if you asked for them. Unknown on bailout kits but most are around $250 and up so that will be interesting to see.

Forum Member

Brian congrats on your newborn. Check on my app and no adjustments have been made yet. a 1.4 M Communications Grant.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Last year it was $900 coats, $800 pants, $250 boots & helmet, $50 hoods & gloves, $100 on flashlights if you asked for them. Unknown on bailout kits but most are around $250 and up so that will be interesting to see.
    Thanks Brian. I hate to keep prodding but do you know any max on vehicles, more specifically tankers. We have a desperate need for a new tanker and it came more evident last night after another problem. It sucks having to put thousands of dollars into a 26 year old tanker that isn't worth 1500 bucks.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Probably won't see anything on regionals, they tend to be near the end and have to clear the state also so takes longer.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by BSFD9302 View Post
    Thanks Brian. I hate to keep prodding but do you know any max on vehicles, more specifically tankers. We have a desperate need for a new tanker and it came more evident last night after another problem. It sucks having to put thousands of dollars into a 26 year old tanker that isn't worth 1500 bucks.
    Depends on specs. Pump vs no pump, size, chassis type, 2/4 door, etc. Ranges from $140k for bare bones all of the way up to $240k for 4 door with small pump and large tank.

Forum Member

Let me get this straight. I can expect a reduction if I look at my budget in my app and I see a reduction there from my original request?
    Blandford Fire Department
    93 Main Street
    Blandford, Ma 01008

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BlandfordFire View Post
    Let me get this straight. I can expect a reduction if I look at my budget in my app and I see a reduction there from my original request?
    Yeah, go to your narrative statement (or if you remember what the amount was you asked for don't worry about this part) and get whatever the amount was you asked for...then look at the Budget page...if there has been a reduction (or in some cases they have added to the price for a couple of people), that means they are "moving" (presumably) on your grant...however, according to the grant gurus on here, it does NOT necessarily mean you are out if there is no change, etc...there's a long way to go in this thing!

Thread Information