Default Truck Battery Chargers

I have a question about how the chargers are designed to work. Our trucks are all connected to power when they are sitting, but they are on timers that are 6 hours on/off. My question is, is that necessary? What do most departments do? I think that it originated from the idea that the chargers where frying the batteries. Our oldest truck is about '78, and the newest is an '07. I'm pretty sure the newer ones are designed to be plugged-in 24/7, right?

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't speak to the technical specifics, electricity is like magic to me!

Out trucks, ranging from 1972 to 2008 are powered 24/7. In 10 years I haven't heard of the 6 hours on, 6 hours off thing.

Forum Member

we use auto chargers in all of our trucks (plugged in 24/7) and have for over 30 years... and its been at least 5 years since we had a truck that wold not start ant it was because the batteries in it were 10 years old ... well past the life expectancy of any battery put in a fire truck
    ~Big O~

Tankers have wheels and carry water, Tenders are breaded and served with BBQ sauce

(if you don't believe me Google it)

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes almost all truck chargers are designed to safely be plugged in 24/7. I say almost all because I am sure somewhere out there is the exception to the rule.

In a nutshell as I understand it they monitor the battery voltage and give the appropriate number of amps to keep the battery at 12. ie. if the battery it low it provides high amps and recharges the battery and when fully charges it acts like a conditioner that you have your boat or snowmobile battery hooked to when not in use. If there's an electrican in here please correct me.

Yes they do go bad and can over charge a battery, if you walk into your bay and have a strong sulfer smell then you have a bad charge.

Forum Member

It depends on the charger. If the charger isn't designed to throttle itself, it can overcharge and boil the thing over. This is the only reason to have a timer on it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Most newer chargers are "Smart Chargers" that stop when the battery is fully charged and continue to monitor the batteries. If the current drops while sitting in the bay, presto; the charger comes back on and tops off the battery.

That is in a perfect world. When you smell sulfur, things are imperfect.

I doubt if older chargers had the technology. That may explain the timers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    Most newer chargers are "Smart Chargers" that stop when the battery is fully charged and continue to monitor the batteries. If the current drops while sitting in the bay, presto; the charger comes back on and tops off the battery.

That is in a perfect world. When you smell sulfur, things are imperfect.

I doubt if older chargers had the technology. That may explain the timers.
    How far back are you going? Our '78 Hahn had a Mule charger. The last time I changed batteries (8Ds), one was 11 years old and the other was 13. Our '68 Hahn had something similar, but with 6 volt batteries seriesed. I don't remember how long those batteries lasted but we left both vehicles plugged in 24/7.

Thread Information