Forum Member

Default Helmet age an issue?

The helmets we currently use (bullard fh2100) on my department are 19-20 years old. Is their anything saying once a helmet is so old it is to be taken out of service?

Also, I am unaware of what history is behind any of these helmets. They could have been dropped repeatedly, had a well fall on it, or been in a 1000* fire.

I'm mainly looking to get a way to talk people into getting new helmets.

MembersZone Subscriber

Seriously? 20 year old helmets? I would buy my own before I would wear those. Might be different if it was mine for 20 years.

I don't know if the NFPA's 10 year turnout gear rule applies to helmets, but that's what we use. (I'm sure someone will chime in.)

The unknown impact history is also a big concern with any hand me down helmet. Not to mention wondering how many other peoples heads have been in them!

MembersZone Subscriber

My dept replaces turnouts every 5 years and helmets every 10. I'm going out on a limb, but I think 20 years is a little too long.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mach158 View Post
    Also, I am unaware of what history is behind any of these helmets. They could have been dropped repeatedly, had a well fall on it, or been in a 1000* fire.
    Not to be an A ss, but how does one get a well to fall on a helmet? You might drop your helmet down a well but. . . . . . .

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Not to be an A ss, but how does one get a well to fall on a helmet? You might drop your helmet down a well but. . . . . . .

Stay Safe
    Bull
    You are an *****. I was about to call him out on it.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Stay Safe
    Bull
    haha whoops, meant wall.

Also, this department is about 10 member with a small budget but if we only buy 6 helmets for the member willing to go interior then the cost is small and get everyone helmets when we get more money but want to come up with a better reason then I dont like modern style helmets and want to go traditional as well so I figured age should work.

Forum Member

I have been wearing my leather since my 18th bday (thanks pop!)......many moons ago...and it is just fine.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    You are an *****. I was about to call him out on it.
    I just can't help myself some times, I guess it the cop in me. Next time I'll let you do the honor. By the way, you all getting much of this rain? We're get hammered on this side of the mtn.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

haha whoops, meant wall.

Also, this department is about 10 member with a small budget but if we only buy 6 helmets for the member willing to go interior then the cost is small and get everyone helmets when we get more money but want to come up with a better reason then I dont like modern style helmets and want to go traditional as well so I figured age should work.
    I knew what you ment brother, I was just ****ing with you

If you can afford one, you should get a leather, just like FWDbuff suggest. You treat it right and it should last most of your carrier. If you can't afford the cow, at least get a 1010 or 1044, that way you at least look like a ff and not a coal miner

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Last edited by BULL321; 11-11-2009 at 03:08 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

There can be issues with using a 20+ year old helmet. In the case of plastic helmets, there was a time before they were made of real good heat resistant plastic. The picture below is of two helmets which were in the same training fire in a burn building. The yellow one was fairly old, and obviously did not do as well as the red one. Leather helmets, if not properly maintained can dry out and get brittle.

Helmets, especially some of the newer plastic ones are actually pretty cheap. If in doubt, get yourself a new lid.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!

Forum Member

I just can't help myself some times, I guess it the cop in me. Next time I'll let you do the honor. By the way, you all getting much of this rain? We're get hammered on this side of the mtn.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    No rain for us. Im in the 'burbs of Memphis. We've had enough rain.
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    No rain for us. Im in the 'burbs of Memphis. We've had enough rain.
    I hear that. No I googled your FD. Looks we are on the same latitude, just about 500 miles west. By the way what's up with the clown driving the ladder truck? Was it open house?

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Last edited by BULL321; 11-11-2009 at 08:38 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KB1OEV View Post
    There can be issues with using a 20+ year old helmet. In the case of plastic helmets, there was a time before they were made of real good heat resistant plastic. The picture below is of two helmets which were in the same training fire in a burn building. The yellow one was fairly old, and obviously did not do as well as the red one. Leather helmets, if not properly maintained can dry out and get brittle.

Helmets, especially some of the newer plastic ones are actually pretty cheap. If in doubt, get yourself a new lid.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!
    That yellow helmet is the same exact style helmet I have but mine doesnt have the quick connect strap that one appears to have unless it was changed out. Mine still has the push and release but the strap never comes fully out. (I can't think of the proper name for it)

Also I was looking to see if I could get new parts for the helmet and the model has been discontinued, so another big selling point.

Final note, I know alot of people prefer the leather but I tried on one and I just dont like the extra weight. Sweet helmets though.

MembersZone Subscriber

Final note, I know alot of people prefer the leather but I tried on one and I just dont like the extra weight. Sweet helmets though.
    Then get a 1010 or 1044 they weight about 72 ounces and cost any where between $200.00 and $300.00 depending on which one one want. D.E. Williams will hand make sweet shield ($36.00) for your new lid. Or go cheap and get a salad bowl for at or around $150.00

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

The 1010 is the helmet I will be shooting for so I hope majority likes the traditional style. I have wore one before I love it over the helmet I currently have.

MembersZone Subscriber

Great choice. I hope it works out for you

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

You could look into the Phenix TC-1 (Traditional Composite -1) Lightweight and reasonably priced

www.Phenixfirehelmets.com

Forum Member

We replace our lids (Bullard FXs) if they're ten years or older.

Members can purchase their own Cairns 1010 or 1044, which is what I did; I have the 1044 in black with the Bourkes and Defender shield, and I love it (that is, once I got used to the weight and size of it).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Station 49 View Post
    We replace our lids (Bullard FXs) if they're ten years or older.

Members can purchase their own Cairns 1010 or 1044, which is what I did; I have the 1044 in black with the Bourkes and Defender shield, and I love it (that is, once I got used to the weight and size of it).
    i don't see the point of having bourkes and having the defender. i have the 1010 and i just have the defender, i think you only need bourkes if you use goggles. but then again i am just an explorer. but our hand me down helmets are no more than 5 years, my capt said he wouldn't even trust us explorers with helmets older than that. but once again im just an explorer so you can take what i said or leave it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RS1606 View Post
    i don't see the point of having bourkes and having the defender. but once again im just an explorer so you can take what i said or leave it.
    Because they look cool rookie. Because they look cool. Damn
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Because they look cool rookie. Because they look cool. Damn
    oh yes i agree all the way, they just get in the way when not in use. i had them on my old ben2 plus and they always ****ed me off.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RS1606 View Post
    oh yes i agree all the way, they just get in the way when not in use. i had them on my old ben2 plus and they always ****ed me off.
    I know, I was just messing with you.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

alright man. but i do have to agree Bourkes do rock, just get in my way so i only have them on my helmet that has the goggles.

MembersZone Subscriber

NFPA Standard 1851 (2008 edition), states that all parts of the structural firefighting ensemble shall be retired 10 year from the manuafacture date. The ensemble includes garmet, hood, gloves, boots and helmet.

Thread Information