Default Paramedic????????

Let me start by giving you guys some information about. I graduated the Central Florida Fire Academy 9/08. Since then Iíve been actively applying for any fire jobs in Florida. I've tested and interview at least 20 times. Majority of the time the reason that Iím not hired is due to medic preference. My Question is should I go to medic school? If I attend any local school (Orlando Area) I will be limited to the departments that are close by. I have also consider stop actively looking for a fire job until Iím finished with medic school. My main reason for not attending Medic school is I learn better through experience, I have little EMT experience and I work hard to be the best at an area. In my mind I will be a bad medic if Iím not a great EMT first. Help.... Iím trying to be patient... I want to hear what some seasoned firefighter have to say. Most say go for medic school, you got to help yourself get the job. Any Advice would be great.

Forum Member

Reasons to get your Medic now.
    1. You want a fire job and most got to medics.
    2. I don't agree with the " you must ride the ambulane for X ammount of yeras before you have a chance at being a medic." Being a medic IS being a good EMT.
    3. Medic school is hard work. Pulling shifts as a probie and going to medic school would be quite a challenge.

Just my .02 cents. Good luck with whatever you do.
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Default medic school 100%

I agree with TNFF319 on his points, I thought the same thing to i took medic school. The school you choose unlike Basic school you will be on the medic truck and in the ER alot.
    I would forsure go to paramedic school with all cities looking to say money now. Hiring medic or non-medic is a no brainer, it saves the city so much more money to do that. I believe paramedic card is the near future and even going to a fire science degree down the road. By the way medic school takes your whole life up so being on company is just one more thing to worry about.

Forum Member

Sounds pretty easy to me.

You want a job.
    Employers prefer you have a particular cert.
    Should you get it?
    Of course you should.

Dont buy into that 'you have to be a good tech first.' Thats a load. Experience-wise, between clinicals, classroom, ride-a-longs, and the runs you go on at work, youll have experience coming out of your ears. Youll be swimming in it. Dont even worry about that part.

Medic school is a grind, but if youre dealing with your proby year and the program at the same time, youll be accommodated as needed. Your bigger problem might be getting a seat in a program that starts during the Spring semester; Alot of times they start in the fall, and often have a wait-list.

Forum Member

I am currently in paramedic school. If you want the job of a firefighter it only makes sense to get your license. Not every medic likes being a medic, but with most departments looking to hire medics you'd be foolish to not go with the trend. With not many departments hiring right now, it's the best time to take advantage and start school. Make yourself more competitive so when they do start hiring you are on a level playing field. Now if we are up for the same job don't take my advice. Good luck.

Forum Member

I wouldn't quit applying for fire jobs; you never know when that one will come by that you'll actually get hired. Some of the departments in my area have the requirement of being a license paramedic, or in the class at the time of job offer. Go to medic school, keep applying.

Keep on applying, you never know what it will bring you.

Forum Member

Yes, go to medic class. Knowledge makes you an asset.

I can understand your issue. I have been an EMT-B for 14 years with no intention of getting my medic. However, if I were making a career out of it, I would do it.

Permanently Removed

Yes, more medic jobs out there than just FF/EMT. I cant say much more than whats already been said here.

Here is a link on the subject- http://www.californiafirefighter.com...ighlight=medic

MembersZone Subscriber

I have lived in Central Florida for 13 years, and have worked in this area for 4-5 years, so I understand exactly what you are going through. The problem isn't JUST that you arent a medic: the problem is this state (specifically this area) is so overly saturated with Firefighter/EMT's and Firefighter/Paramedics....I couldn't tell you how many times a day I see that damned "Midflorida tech Firefighter/EMT student" shirt on some 19 year old kids back.....It's ridiculus. 8 fire academys in about 3 counties+ Hundreds of kids put out each semester+ NO jobs = a snowballs chance in hell of getting hired. I'm sorry, but those are the odds. I know PLENTY of certified Firemedics who have YEARS of experience working on a box (rural/metro ambulance, health central, evac, Lake sumter EMS) Who haven't gotten hired yet. No offense, but with those kinds of people going up against you, it is just not going to happen man.

My advice? Get your medic card and get out of this state, come back some day when times aren't like this. You may not wanna do this now, but when a year goes by, and then another one, and you still aren't any closer to getting hired, you will rethink this: trust me: if your truly serious about this job that is. My roommate is getting ready to start EMT school, and some firemen friends of his (that have been on the job longer than me, and got on when times were different) are getting him in the mentality of, "get hired and have the department pay for medic school!!!!". This is the worst possible idea right now, because it won't happen. This is how it USED to be around here: not anymore. I tell almost everyone I know, go to EMT school, get a job as an EMT at one of the abundant ambulance services in the area, and go to medic school. In this area, there are ALWAYS single role paramedic jobs (hospitals, clinics, 911 ambulances, and all kinds of other actually NEAT jobs you can do with a medic card), there are NOT always firefighter jobs: and when it comes to putting food on the table (I have no idea what kind of position you are in in life, I assume you are probably pretty young so this probably doesn't apply to you), the paramedic card will be able to do that for you while you wait to get a fire job.

This is just my two cents though. I know what this area is like right now, the job outlook, and the competition you are up against, so I would seriously take into consideration some of the advice I'm telling you. When 3-400 people apply for 1 POSITION at one of these smaller city departments in this area( that will not be named), there is a serious problem.

Default Thanks

I appericate all the helpful advice. Im Currently looking into medic school.

Thread Information