Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Need Help and Info

Hello all,
    I am currently working as a firefighter for a federal base in California. I have been placed on a light duty status because of medications that I am taking.
    The medications I am taking are for my PTSD that I have been diagnosed with after returning home from Iraq. These meds stabilize me so I may work and enjoy my family and life. These meds are something that have helped me mentally and because of this my work has placed me on a lightduty status. One hitch to this, there is no lightduty status for my department so I am left to take my sick leave and vacation time.
    The light duty form stated my restristions are: No SCBA use or wearing of bunker gear. But verbally told me the meds are mind altering. My VA Dr. told me they are not mind altering for me they are mind stabilizing.

If there is anyone that can help me get back to work or just be medically retired from the federal government please help me. I only have a couple of weeks left of sick leave and after that I will not have a paycheck.

Thank You all in advance

Quote Originally Posted by cafrfghtr View Post
    If there is anyone that can help me get back to work or just be medically retired from the federal government please help me. I only have a couple of weeks left of sick leave and after that I will not have a paycheck.
    You really need to speak to a labor attorney. Also, why not post this over at DoDfire.com?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Check and see if your agency says they abide by NFPA 1500. I think it used to say something about having to have a program for light duty somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by LT2387 View Post
    Check and see if your agency says they abide by NFPA 1500. I think it used to say something about having to have a program for light duty somewhere
    If he works for the DoD, and the facility he works at says they have no light duty, he's f*cked. Trust me. Been there, done that (the "light duty" game.)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Sorry, was worth a try

cafrfghtr,

The fire department should have to provide the documentation they reference stating that the meds are mind altering. If not they could be discriminating against you because of your military service. Were you active duty or are you Guard/Reserve? I know that as a member of the Guard/Reserves you have re-employment rights which may help you in this case.

Otherwise anyone that takes a med should be on light duty because the meds are mind altering. Just look at the possible side effects then next time you pick up a prescription. Now those are side effects experienced by the control group while they were in the trial. It may have only happened to 1:100,000 but they had to list it. Most of those side effects could be encompassed under mind altering.

Good luck,
    Walt.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

MembersZone Subscriber

first thanks for your service.

We had a person on "mind altering" meds or for him like you said "mind stabilizing" meds. We also have no light duty. They tried to not allow him to return. The unio V.P. cam in to the district and asked for a copy off all the meds the staff is taking to which he pulled up facts about the druga and he found that a lot of them are not allowed to used by firemen ie. coumidin. The comprimise was the firefighter was returned to shift work but not allowed to drive the equipment while on the meds. The bad part of the story was that the firefighter prior to getting on the meds had a "eppisode" while working and driviong the ambulance to a call "zoned out" almost running into a parked car on the highway doing about 70 mph. So with that history of driving incident was what cause his loss in status. Since the meds he is doing great and has had no incidents.

Thread Information