Forum Member

Default DRCOG Test in Denver

so i took the test this month on the 2nd and got my score. im just alittle confused on the next step. are we supposed to check each depts qualification requierments and then apply to them. or does each department get the results and then contact who they want to interview?

any info would be good. and i did look on the website and couldnt find anything unless i just missed it.

Forum Member

You get to find yourself a hobby and wait.

How it works is that if any of the participating depts decide to start hiring, they contact DRCOG and ask for a contact list of all the applicants that scored above __ (each dept gets to choose what score they want the cut off score to be and maybe some other requirements like experience, certs, etc.). Then they contact you, so check your junk mail before you delete it.

Also the other thing that you want to make sure you do is A) keep your contact info valid and up to date and B) keep your certs up to date. If heard of some guys getting eliminated because they forgot to add new certs or forgot to update the dates on renewed certs.

I took the same test too and in the past i've gotten several hits off of one test, but that was 2-3 years ago. How'd you do?

Best of luck to you!

MembersZone Subscriber

The best thing you can do is to find the departments that use DRCOG and then send them an interest letter that you would like to be considered for their next hiring process. This is a step that a lot of candidates overlook, but if you show a little initiative it can go along way. Also, be advised that Colorado is like most of the areas in the country that is being effected by the economy. There are very few openings and in some cases there are layoffs (Colorado Springs is laying off 20-23.) Try to make yourself marketable, think about Paramedic school if you are not already a medic. Everyone in Colorado has a FF1 or FF2 and an EMT. You need to separate yourself from everyone else. Best of luck to you.

Forum Member

yea i guess its just a waiting game like ever other test. now do they acutually look at your score and rank u accordingly or is it just if you meet all there qualifications it doesnt matter what your score was? im acutally from Ohio and didnt know if it was the same as it is out here. Also is everyone and their mother a Medic like out here in ohio or are there not as many? cause im hoping the fact that im already a Medic will help my chances. thanks again.

Forum Member

The area isn't flooded with medics which would be an ace up your sleeve *if* anyone started hiring.
    Last edited by yjbrody64; 12-02-2009 at 12:24 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter1126 View Post
    The best thing you can do is to find the departments that use DRCOG and then send them an interest letter that you would like to be considered for their next hiring process. This is a step that a lot of candidates overlook, but if you show a little initiative it can go along way. Also, be advised that Colorado is like most of the areas in the country that is being effected by the economy. There are very few openings and in some cases there are layoffs (Colorado Springs is laying off 20-23.) Try to make yourself marketable, think about Paramedic school if you are not already a medic. Everyone in Colorado has a FF1 or FF2 and an EMT. You need to separate yourself from everyone else. Best of luck to you.
    COLORADO SPRINGS IS NOT LAYING OFF ANY FIREFIGHTERS, at least not at the current moment. They have done a few other things (Furloughs, not re-hiring for atrician, guys giving back vacation days, etc.) The future is uncertain, but lets hope the city council doesn't use the elimination of FD/PD jobs as ways to raise $!!!

Stay Safe,

Thread Information