Forum Member

Default Battery powered "Flares" and pop-up cones?

There are a lot of different battery "flares" out there. I was wondering how many folks use them and what type they use. What would you do different and what do you like/dislike about them?
    I like the idea of a reusable unit over the standard flare simply because it would be less money and easier to use in many cases.

Also how about the pop-up style cones. I like the idea of having the ability to carry more cones in less space but if you use them how are they holding up? Problems?
    I like the idea of lighted ones simply because they almost have to be more visible than the standard cones.

Forum Member

We have two sets of six PowerFlares in each of our crash trucks. They have come into great use as they are rechargable, compact, and we don't have to carry the flamable traditional flares around.

They are useful by themself or you have put them under a cone at night to light up the cone as well. They have several different light patterns and are very bright.

The pop up cones didn't seem to be durrable enough for our liking within the department and the constant change of batteries turned us off as well.

I'll be honest, I haven't found anything wrong with them.

http://www.powerflare.coml

Mickey
    Last edited by scootr2200; 05-24-2010 at 10:58 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scootr2200 View Post
    We have two sets of six PowerFlares in each of our crash trucks. They have come into great use as they are rechargable, compact, and we don't have to carry the flamable traditional flares around.

They are useful by themself or you have put them under a cone at night to light up the cone as well. They have several different light patterns and are very bright.

The pop up cones didn't seem to be durrable enough for our liking within the department and the constant change of batteries turned us off as well.

I'll be honest, I haven't found anything wrong with them.

http://www.powerflare.coml

Mickey
    I personally use the powerflares almost every day and they are extremely effective and reliable.

Forum Member

I have four FlareAlerts for personal use and they work great.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

We use the pop-up cones and we like them a lot. They hold up OK to everything but actually getting run over by a vehicle (which can happen, of course...we had a deputy run over one the other day but it still works, just cracked around the base). I find the batteries are holding up alright as well as long as you remember to turn them off when putting them away. We've been using them for a few months now and we're getting much better at setting up our accident scenes now that we're in the habit of using them.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

My department bought some of pop-up cones from Galls, they are great storage wise since the truck is packed full of stuff, the lights in them really doesn't do much though. Overall I'll say they are a pretty good investment.

Stay safe out there
    Last edited by JakeT59; 09-07-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Forum Member

I 2nd (or 3rd I should say) the powerflares.

We just got some for all our apparatus and they seem pretty effective. I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but just playing around with them at the station they seem plenty bright, have lots of light patterns and are durable enough to take getting run over. I could see these working well to square off a LZ for flight too because they are visible from the sides and top. Nice product.

We also got a set of lightup popup cones too, but I wasn't really impressed. They worked fine, but just didn't seem very bright nor do I see them holding up over time.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Around these 'parts', one could get seriously injured (or worse yet killed)...attempting to set the bloddy things out at an accident.

Just barrcade the scene with a $1 mil. quint or ladder, and hope for the best.

As they say in the military..."watch your six."
    "we will bankrupt ourselves in the vain attempt at absolute security"
    Pres. / General Dwight D. Eisenhower

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a pile of the turbo flares, and while they are spiffy, work ok, etc, I would not pay the asking price for them.

I got mine when Sams Club was clearancing them out at 8 bucks a card of 4 or 6....

Forum Member

Powerflares work great, right untill it snows. They don't produce any heat so they are quickly covered by snow in a storm or from snow kicked up by passing vehicles and are worthless. If it never snowed up here, they would be great.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    Powerflares work great, right untill it snows. They don't produce any heat so they are quickly covered by snow in a storm or from snow kicked up by passing vehicles and are worthless. If it never snowed up here, they would be great.
    Being from southern Missouri, you are going to have explain this snow concept to me....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Being from southern Missouri, you are going to have explain this snow concept to me....
    HA!. You are not missing much...

MembersZone Subscriber

I will have to admit, I used to live in Fitchburg years ago, so while I do remember what snow was, I just don't remember that much about it... LOL

Forum Member

If the pop up cones don't have the two white reflective bands and are a minimum of 18 inches tall, they are not legal in California. Check your local state transportation department's standards to see what your state's requirements are.
    everyonegoeshome.com

Thread Information