Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default Firefighter's vehicle banned from inside station due to anti-obama bumper stickers

http://www.wfsb.com/news/21597350/detail.html

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Firefighter Mike Di’Giacomo said his SUV is banned from in the firehouse because the bumper stickers he has on it, displays his political views.

Di’Giacomo said he has never run into a problem like this in the 10 years he has been with the department.

The bumper stickers read:

- Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing its idiot

- I’ll keep my guns, freedom and money. You keep the change

- Obama Bin Lyin. Impeach Now

Di’Giacomo said that because of them, he’s not being treated the same as everyone else in his firehouse. He said, “These are just my political views. It’s freedom of speech as far as I’m concerned. It’s my personal vehicle.”

Di’Giacomo said on Tuesday night, a supervisor told him because of his stickers, he could not park his SUV inside the firehouse anymore.

Parking is allowed inside the firehouse on a first-come, first-served basis.

“He (Di’Giacomo’s supervisor) said that the union, corporation counsel, and downtown were all in agreement that I could not park inside of the firehouse anymore. However, I spoke to the union president this morning and said he was not aware of any such agreement and that I was welcome to come down and file a grievance, which I will do,” Di’Giacomo said.

Channel 3 Eyewitness News asked the fire department about the incident and was told to submit questions to Chief Charles Teale in writing.

Di’Giacomo said no matter what Teale’s explanation is, he will not remove the stickers.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

This is a non-issue and a waste of time to pursue, from all parties involved.

Banned

Perhaps they should ban all stickers on vehicles, lockers, and helmets.

It may be a little overkill to ban because of some political points of view. At the same time, who care's about a sticker? I would just take it off and be done with it. Back to business.

Forum Member

Who doesn't recall seeing similar sentiments about George Walker Bush during his tenure?
    Unless this department made sure that it had the same policy of no anti President stickers for any previous President,or it turns out this guy keeps his Klan sheets in plain view in his vehicle,I'm on his side in saying that it's Freedom of speech.

Forum Member

stickers on personal vehicles are a much different story than stickers on lockers.

I'd just be interested to see if there is a car parked in the firehouse that says "somewhere in texas a village is missing it's idiot"

MembersZone Subscriber

Unless they have a blanket policy that covers any form of political speech they could be in some hot water.

For all we know there could be a long history of similar problems at the department. I don't expect the news to report all the facts.

“These are just my political views. It’s freedom of speech as far as I’m concerned. It’s my personal vehicle.”
    It's his vehicle, but he wants to park on departments property. They can make rules about what is allowed to park, but only if it has been enforced for similar instances before. If anti-Bush stickers were allowed then I can see some problems there. I'm guessing it's a classic case of "there is a lot more to the story".
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

wait, cant he just park it outside?

Quote Originally Posted by zackman1801 View Post
    wait, cant he just park it outside?
    Yes. What's your point?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Yes. What's your point?
    my point is dont worry about the stickes and park the car outside. the way i see it its not a HUGE deal. He can do a few things, he can submit to the depts wishes and remove them and gain access to the building again, or he can leave them there and deal with the consequences. I would doubt that a few stickers is worth his time and money to peruse the issue in court, or lose his job over.
    Last edited by zackman1801; 11-14-2009 at 07:44 PM.

So the apparatus bay is only for Obama supporters and bush-haters and that's ok?

What kind of Hoople goofs up his vehicle with bumperstickers anyway?
    IAFF

Forum Member

Where does it say that anyone else had stickers on their car that said anything different and were allowed. Maybe no one else has bumper stickers? Like i said before stickers are not worth losing your job over. People are so quick to say people are denying freedoms by asking them to remove stickers, and other paraphernalia they may have. But in all reality those bumper stickers are offensive, and no im not a hardcore obama supporter. People are all about making sure that personal views are not reflected onto the dept they work for. Like the threads about people wearing their dept shirts to bars, or getting into fights wearing them, or doing other stupid things. But what is the difference of having people drive around with bumper stickers or other things on their vehicles that could offend people and label their depts as "obama haters" or other things. It is really no different.

Forum Member

then don't allow any vehicles in the building if you care about the "message" their vehicles sends. If you let people with big trucks and SUVs park inside they could be sending the message they don't care about the environment. You wouldn't want to do that now would you.

Can they kick him out of the parking lot and make him park on the street?

It sounds like there is more to this story, and good for the FF to not let himself get bullied over a bumper sticker on his personal vehicle.

Forum Member

"I'm offended that I offended you."

Who cares??
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Amen to that.

I mean, unless you are constantly looking to be a participant in road rage or submitting comprehensive claims for all the damage to your car.

I don't care if it's Obama stickers or Phillies stickers. Someone will object and take it out on your ride.

Plus it looks so tacky.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Originally Posted by snowball
    I've seen conservative hooples and liberal hooples, soccer mom hooples, parents of honor student hooples, my dog is smarter than your kid hooples, NASCAR hooples,"God is my co-pilot" hooples (in that case, please let Him take over the driving, because you suck at it! ) the "I fight what you fear" hooples (these bumperstickers are usually accompanied by enough blue and red lights as to require a generator to power them be towed behind the vehicle), elect (insert politician's name here) hooples... everyone but Mott the Hoople!

www.mottthehoople.com
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 11-15-2009 at 08:33 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

What difference does it make who you support or don't? There's freedom of speech, so go put a sign in your lawn. However at work or at a fire hall, there's no need for politics and such, just go do your job.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zackman1801 View Post
    my point is dont worry about the stickes and park the car outside. the way i see it its not a HUGE deal. He can do a few things, he can submit to the depts wishes and remove them and gain access to the building again, or he can leave them there and deal with the consequences. I would doubt that a few stickers is worth his time and money to peruse the issue in court, or lose his job over.
    Yes, but the parking lot is public property. Am I not allowed to park in a public parking lot becuase of my political beliefs? It is a huge deal. It's about freedom of speech and not allowing the thought police to dictate what you say. This is wrong on every level. It isn't like he is displaying a religious symbol. Those are obviously banned on public property.

Thread Information