Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Conflict with personel.

Well first off I work for a paid department. My question to the members of the forum is this. I work with a Captain who demands respect for his position. I have no problem respecting the position all though I do have a problem respecting the man. But the problem I put before the group is not one of my own. What I am looking for is a little help I am trying to figure out what type of abuse it might be when a Captain continuely picks on one individual at his station that works the same shift he does. I have observed over the last three months this captain accuse another firefighter of lieing to him repeatedly. The captain has made it well known that he doesn't like this firefighter. But as of late the captain is getting worse by not letting some of his guys go train with other companies on the job. This cause he didn't want the ladder truck of his station to be to far away in case a call comes in south of the station where response times are somewhat extended. He would have had a full crew on his truck. The ladder crew wanted to go train, but got told no. But my main thing is i am trying to figure out if there is some type of employee abuse or something of that nature. Any comments or help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Medicc315 View Post
    Well first off I work for a paid department. My question to the members of the forum is this. I work with a Captain who demands respect for his position. I have no problem respecting the position all though I do have a problem respecting the man. But the problem I put before the group is not one of my own. What I am looking for is a little help I am trying to figure out what type of abuse it might be when a Captain continuely picks on one individual at his station that works the same shift he does. I have observed over the last three months this captain accuse another firefighter of lieing to him repeatedly. The captain has made it well known that he doesn't like this firefighter. But as of late the captain is getting worse by not letting some of his guys go train with other companies on the job. This cause he didn't want the ladder truck of his station to be to far away in case a call comes in south of the station where response times are somewhat extended. He would have had a full crew on his truck. The ladder crew wanted to go train, but got told no. But my main thing is i am trying to figure out if there is some type of employee abuse or something of that nature. Any comments or help in this matter is greatly appreciated.
    Does your Department have official "Hostile Work Environment" claim forms? If so, just get a few and leave them laying around the station.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by Medicc315 View Post
    It's the same circus... just different towns, different clowns. The number of rings and shows correlate with the number of groups and number of stations.

Respect has to be earned, it cannot be demanded, and respect is a two way street. There are two sides to every story, sometimes there are three, four or more, depending on the group's dynamics.

Pleasing one person may end up ****ing off another.
    Pleasing the majority can **** off the minority.
    Some people you cannot please whatseover. End of story.

A fire officer needs the wisdom of Solomon, the patience of Job, and the foresight to use both of them wisely.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 11-15-2009 at 08:42 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Gonzo is right in every sense. I just recently got promoted to Captain/shift commander on my dept and currently on my same shift until the chief gets the new shift assignments for everyone due out at the start of 2010. As Gonzo said there are more than one side and might be several sides, some not so favorable to the underlings. One thing that might make things easier, if he is in charge, accept it and let him be in charge. It might just make everything a lot easier. As I am having to deal with this "new age" employee thing where everyone thinks they have a voice, that is until they go behind my back to the chief over something petty because they didn't agree with the crew assignment I had for a evening training situation. To the assistant chief and myself that was a case of insubordination for not following the SOG in the chain of command. the chief just wants to sweep it under.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    It's the same circus... just different towns, different clowns. The number of rings and shows correlate with the number of groups and number of stations.

Respect has to be earned, it cannot be demanded, and respect is a two way street. There are two sides to every story, sometimes there are three, four or more, depending on the group's dynamics.

Pleasing one person may end up ****ing off another.
    Plaasing the majority can **** off the minority.
    Some people you cannot please whatseover. End of story.

A fire officer needs the wisdom of Solomon, the patience of Job, and the foresight to use both of them wisely.

EXACTLY!! Very well said!!

You must respect the position because that person is your supervisor. Doesn't mean you have to like who it is or share your lunch with them or invite them over to your house for dinner but you have to work with them.

I would suggest take your issues to the next level in the chain of command...such as the battalion chief, or whomever is the Captain's boss. Make sure you have a valid complaint and not just "whining" over stupid stuff.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

It seems as though everything I was going to say has been said.

Earn Respect.

Hostile Work Environment.

Happens every where.

Sounds like the guy can not handle authority. One of our captains is like that. Unfortunately, we is also our STO with no common sense. In fact, the state won't let him certify to teach classes. Instead of nuturing the department and decreasing risk to the community by finding or providing training, he gets it for himself and his son so that he can become a paid ff in SC or NC. We have to search for it ourselves and pay for it ourselves.

All I can say is good luck.

Thread Information