Forum Member

Default New Rescue 2 for Boston - KME

I had known for a while that Boston was replacing the current Rescue 2(1996 E-One) and naturally assumed like everything else they've ordered in recent years it'd be from E-One as well. Upon discovering the Facebook page for R2 I was surprised to see that they went with KME, apparently they were the low bid. My question is, how is their track record as far as reliability, build quality and such. Virtually every department around Boston is dominated by E-One and Pierce with Seagrave picking up some steam so you don't see or hear much about KME around here.

Here's the link to the construction/final inspection pics. There are some historical shots of crews and apparatus over the years in the main photo album that might be worth a look.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?pa...id=21192589974

Forum Member

I've heard of some reliability issues with KME, but that is only second hand.

As for the manufacturer domination, Boston has used Pierce and EOne in there last few orders correct? Seems that whatever brands are popular with the large dept. in the area becomes popular with the smaller dept. and volley outfits. Thats probably why EONE and Pierce are popular in the Boston area.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sorry to hear this.......

Forum Member

Ask Philadelphia about their KME Heavy Rescue....Or their engines.....They are not called "Keeps Mechanics Employed" for nothing.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Can't speak to their current products, but there's a reason why we aren't replacing our KME engine with another KME.

Forum Member

I love our KME's (2). Job security at its best.

Curious to know why they need to replace a '96 E-One with a substandard (new) KME???

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Curious to know why they need to replace a '96 E-One with a substandard (new) KME???
    I would guess Boston might have the luxury to replace some of their rigs with a higher call volume earlier. We just placed several 1999 Quantum pumpers in the reserve fleet, so it's not unheard of.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

What breaks on KME trucks more than the other brands? dont they use many of the same componets? is it poor design or poor craftsmanship?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Seems that whatever brands are popular with the large dept. in the area becomes popular with the smaller dept. and volley outfits. Thats probably why EONE and Pierce are popular in the Boston area.
    The E-One and Peirce dealers in MA are the strongest by far, and hence they get the majority of the business.

There is lots of speculation about why Boston bought some Peirce's, but most common is the tie between the former commissioner and the owner of the local P dealer. While I'm not a big E-One fan, they seem to have been decent for Boston and I've certainly heard the truck companies are far more biased to E-One due to ability to set up in the tighter areas that Boston is known for. Of course no one should over look the power of the dollar or lack there of in any city's decision making process. With the BFD Union and City Hall being at odds, who knows who's input was used to determine what's best for BFD?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Its probably because KME makes the engines, trans, pumps, drivelines, & the other components and just puts CAT, Detroit, Cummins, Allison, Hale, Waterous, and other names on them so so u think they are from the same manufacturers as the others. FWDBUFF tell thats what happens! I almost thought thats whats it about. FWD what are they? where are they?

MembersZone Subscriber

Grapes.

We have two KME engines, one commercial cab 2007, and one 1980's custom cab. The 80's unit has been almost trouble free, but it is an 80's. A valve stuck on one discharge line, and till we rebuild the valve it will stay stuck.

The commercial? The only issues we have had have been strictly International issues, nothing KME.

YMMV, IMHO, all the standard disclaimers.

Our Lafrances have been MUCH more problematic.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by westofd1 View Post
    Its probably because KME makes the engines, trans, pumps, drivelines, & the other components and just puts CAT, Detroit, Cummins, Allison, Hale, Waterous, and other names on them so so u think they are from the same manufacturers as the others. FWDBUFF tell thats what happens! I almost thought thats whats it about. FWD what are they? where are they?
    What the hell are you talking about?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

In previous threads fwdbuff says kme builds junk. point is they use same components,suppliers as all other manufacturers! so when there is trouble with your Cat engine, allison trans, waterous pump kme its kme's fault but, when its put together by any other manufacturer its not a problem. stay safe

Forum Member

In previous threads fwdbuff says kme builds junk. point is they use same components,suppliers as all other manufacturers! so when there is trouble with your Cat engine, allison trans, waterous pump kme its kme's fault but, when its put together by any other manufacturer its not a problem. stay safe
    Their is alot more to a truck then engines, drivelines and pumps. Their are plenty of ways a manufacturer can do things poorly. How about electrical systems to start with?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I would guess Boston might have the luxury to replace some of their rigs with a higher call volume earlier. We just placed several 1999 Quantum pumpers in the reserve fleet, so it's not unheard of.

I agree. 13 years for a busy fire truck is a long time. Especially when you add in the 13 winters its seen, and I can't imagine that coastal environment is all too nice.

Forum Member

, when its put together by any other manufacturer its not a problem
    Think about that!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

As a key member of the spec committee for our 2007 KME i can speak for us; we found that KME assembled the components poorly or wrong in some instances. In the firehouse across town, their 2008 KME has many similar issues, most relating to what I feel is poor craftsmanship. What KME offers that some other manufacturers don't is a very custom rig. They do wonderfully in taking your idea and making it a reality. Where the issues for us were was in the quality of assembly and fabrication of some aspects.

We have 3 KME's (94, 07, 08), a Pierce (86), two E-Ones (91, 98), a Sutphen (02) and some other smaller rigs. The KME mechanics spend the most time at our two firehouses, hands down.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    I've heard of some reliability issues with KME, but that is only second hand.
    I have First hand and Second hand knowledge.
    THe First hand... **** poor factory service, 3 months after delivery, Our Rig developed 2 decent body cranks (each 1/8" wide, 2" long) it took KME 5 months to return calls and acknowledge the fact that there was an issue and that they had to fix it, then it took another 4 months to come get it to fix it. The fix that was to only take a week or 2 took almost 2 months. When we bought the rig it was between KME and Pierce..KME was about 12K less....wish we would have spent the money.

Second Hand info.... During the G-20 summit in Pittsburgh, I was assigned to a city crew station at their fleet maintnance. Pittsburgh has I would say 10 or 12 pumpers, all less than 3 years old, Their mechanics hate them...hard to work on and ALWAYS in the shop. The Guys on the street feel the same way. They are hardly ever in service and when they are they don't work right. One of the guys i was with was the chauffer for one of the engine companies that had one of the KMEs. His, less than a year old, at the time, had been sitting in their bay unable to move, Both Cab piviot points were severly cracked to the point where they couldn't drive or tow it for fear the cab would shift causing more damage, or even worse fall off. Where they're at now with the rig,I dont know, but the general concensious of those I spoke with can't wait to get rid of them.

Keep
    Mechanics
    Employed
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

fwdbuff coming from the same as in you that said in another thread here a few years ago that our problem with a hale pump was because it was a kme unit! Think before u blast others. I can tell u horror stories about every manufacturer out there the same as you can. A wise person once said to me, if u dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything. But maybe u didn't have a mother. stay safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

The issues some of you are referring to seem strange to our area. We have a large amount of very new KME's around here. All are overly pleased with their performance and with service. At my volunteer company, we had a cab mount break while lifting the cab on our 2002 KME. Only one person was there and it is suspected that it was an operator error and not a defect. We immediately called our salesman who was there in 30 minutes in suit and tie crawling under the engine and snapping picutres to send the engineers at the KME factory. A few hours later that wanted us to get the rig there for repair (all on the weekend).

Where I work, we bought a 2009 KME and have had it for about a year now. We had very minimal problems. The most major one happened while training on it before it was placed in service. The Pump throttle would not work. Again, the saleman was called and he was there within 25 minutes (on a Sunday). It was found that this was a class 1 control that was to be water tight, but water had leaked in and shorted it out. this was fixed within 2 days.

KME has greatly improved over the years. The service problems seem to be dependant upon the area you are located. As for some of the quality issues that you speak of on here, I don't know the answer, but it can and does happen with any manufacture. The best thing for anyone looking for/at KME is check out the local service center and their reputation first.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoofTopTrucky View Post
    I have First hand and Second hand knowledge.
    THe First hand... **** poor factory service, 3 months after delivery, Our Rig developed 2 decent body cranks (each 1/8" wide, 2" long) it took KME 5 months to return calls and acknowledge the fact that there was an issue and that they had to fix it, then it took another 4 months to come get it to fix it. The fix that was to only take a week or 2 took almost 2 months. When we bought the rig it was between KME and Pierce..KME was about 12K less....wish we would have spent the money.

Second Hand info.... During the G-20 summit in Pittsburgh, I was assigned to a city crew station at their fleet maintnance. Pittsburgh has I would say 10 or 12 pumpers, all less than 3 years old, Their mechanics hate them...hard to work on and ALWAYS in the shop. The Guys on the street feel the same way. They are hardly ever in service and when they are they don't work right. One of the guys i was with was the chauffer for one of the engine companies that had one of the KMEs. His, less than a year old, at the time, had been sitting in their bay unable to move, Both Cab piviot points were severly cracked to the point where they couldn't drive or tow it for fear the cab would shift causing more damage, or even worse fall off. Where they're at now with the rig,I dont know, but the general concensious of those I spoke with can't wait to get rid of them.

Keep
    Mechanics
    Employed

Hey can i ask what year your engine was that you talked about in the first paragraph?? are you combination department or all career??

In a difference to the paragraph above, i have to say i just had some of the best factory service from KME in two issues. Just had our 1995 102' KME Tower involved in a accident with the bucket about a month ago. This happened on a monday morning, now the whole front handrailing was ripped off the bucket, had the tower at KME by monday afternoon and was back in my station repaired and back in service by that wednesday morning. now to me that is pretty good factory service, no matter what product you buy, to have that turn around, how can anyone argue

Last weekend, the same tower went down after a early sunday morning structure fire. it lost all power at the fire, now this was when the vehicle was returning. got the tower running again and nursed it back to the station, spoke to the KME service rep that morning, within three hours he had two techs and a new alternator installed and the tower was back in service. I know some on here will say , damm KME again breaking, was not KME's fault that after 14 years the alternator just gave up, oh wait some believe it is there fault, but then again i did not know KME built motors, alternators and fire pumps

No one is perfect in building appartus , if they where , they would be the only one building them

and just curious, how are the new engines in philly holding up???

in regards to rescue 1 in philly must being running okay, just saw it on call the other day!!! or maybe it was a twin!!!

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    As a key member of the spec committee for our 2007 KME i can speak for us; we found that KME assembled the components poorly or wrong in some instances. In the firehouse across town, their 2008 KME has many similar issues, most relating to what I feel is poor craftsmanship. What KME offers that some other manufacturers don't is a very custom rig. They do wonderfully in taking your idea and making it a reality. Where the issues for us were was in the quality of assembly and fabrication of some aspects.

We have 3 KME's (94, 07, 08), a Pierce (86), two E-Ones (91, 98), a Sutphen (02) and some other smaller rigs. The KME mechanics spend the most time at our two firehouses, hands down.
    Our 2005 Kme Excel pumper has been problem free, the only work done has been oil changes, filters, and a major visit to the plant's body shop after a MVA!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrFireman78 View Post
    Hey can i ask what year your engine was that you talked about in the first paragraph?? are you combination department or all career??

In a difference to the paragraph above, i have to say i just had some of the best factory service from KME in two issues. Just had our 1995 102' KME Tower involved in a accident with the bucket about a month ago. This happened on a monday morning, now the whole front handrailing was ripped off the bucket, had the tower at KME by monday afternoon and was back in my station repaired and back in service by that wednesday morning. now to me that is pretty good factory service, no matter what product you buy, to have that turn around, how can anyone argue

Last weekend, the same tower went down after a early sunday morning structure fire. it lost all power at the fire, now this was when the vehicle was returning. got the tower running again and nursed it back to the station, spoke to the KME service rep that morning, within three hours he had two techs and a new alternator installed and the tower was back in service. I know some on here will say , damm KME again breaking, was not KME's fault that after 14 years the alternator just gave up, oh wait some believe it is there fault, but then again i did not know KME built motors, alternators and fire pumps

No one is perfect in building appartus , if they where , they would be the only one building them

and just curious, how are the new engines in philly holding up???

in regards to rescue 1 in philly must being running okay, just saw it on call the other day!!! or maybe it was a twin!!!
    IT's a 2007 ElipticalTanker, and we are Volunteer, but not sure what that has to do with anything. If you sell a rig you should service it proptly and efficiantly reguardless of what type of dept. purchansed the rig.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Under the most recent NFPA regs, shouldn't this piece have rear chevrons or are rescues exempted from that one?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tms122 View Post
    Under the most recent NFPA regs, shouldn't this piece have rear chevrons or are rescues exempted from that one?
    Yes it should have, but depending on when the order was placed, this rig could've been exempt. If I'm not mistaken, the chevron requirement went into effect on orders placed after December 31, 2008. It was optional prior to that date.

On the other hand, they could've just opted not to follow that part of the standard.

Thread Information