Forum Member

Default High Pressure Lifting Bag Prefferances

Hello all,
    Brand New to the forums. Glad I finally got my stuff together, I’ve been meaning to get involved here for the past few years. Anyhow, the reason for the post:
    I am now the Lt. of the Rescue Company in my small call fire department. We are working hard to fulfill the Rescue Companies Mission by carefully increasing its capabilities. So we have come to contemplation of High Pressure Lifting Bags. Not whether we should or not, but which air bags to get. We have great mutual aid to our north and south, both about a 5-6 minute response drive time to the
    “center of our town” and both the rescue company to the north and the truck company to the south have 3 and 7 lifting bags respectively.
    So the questions: 1) What brands air lifting bags do you prefer, and why? 2) If you were getting 5 lifting bags for you company what sizes would you get, and why?
    Thanks in advance for your time and your input.
    -Doc

MembersZone Subscriber

2 main schools of thought here. The first would be get what your neighbors have so if you have a large job everything is compatable. The other is to have something that is unique so it can compliment an operation.
    I've had exposure to Mat Jack, Vetter, Paratech/Maxiforce, and see no major difference.
    My department uses the Res Q Tek NT bags. We purchased them because of the high lift that we could get out of them, they connect which means you can stack them 3 high. They have a load plate on them that protects the bag allowing you to lift on a sharp or hot surface. You can set the bags and do an entire lift from just one position. (always crib as you go) Capacities are 25, 64, and 145 US tons. You can get a 6 foot lift with 3 bags.

It is nice to have the small purchase height of some of the other bags, but overall we like our Res Q Tek bags

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry I forgot
    If the money and storage space were available I would get all three sizes and then 2 more 145 ton bags, if your concerned with having a small footprint then get a second 25 and 64 ton bag. The 3 145 ton bags will give you a true 145 ton lift. If you just stack the set you are limited to 25 tons. (smallest bag capacity)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ADSNWFLD View Post
    2 main schools of thought here. The first would be get what your neighbors have so if you have a large job everything is compatable. The other is to have something that is unique so it can compliment an operation.
    I agree with this guy. It would be beneficial to have the same bags as the neighbors. I can not remember what bags we have, but they will pull your butt out of a sling in a hurry. Invariably if the situation is serious enough, you will need mutual aid. We had a guy stuck underneath a piece of farm equipment that rolled. We used the airbags and LOTS of cribbing. The SOB survived.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have had similar experience with the NT bags, we also had a similar situation where our neighbors had the square bags. Our feeling was on larger incidents they complimented each other. No complaints here.

Forum Member

One other little point on the NT's. They can be taken apart and repaired if you damage one.Only bag system I know of that you can. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've grown up with Paratech. I like them.

If you have only the space/funds for 5 bags, do yourself a favor and don't buy 5 different sizes.

Remember, the Capacity of the bag is only relevant when its entire surface is in contact with the load. With that said, this almost never happens. The choice of bags should be more about considerations of insertion space, stackability and lifting height. The surface contact of the load will be the ultimate ruler of the bag capacity. My point in simplistic summary is you'll never lift an 80,000lb truck if you are only lifting against its axle with a 40 ton bag, not even an inch.

My suggestion is Paratech, of course. I would get a pair of the rectangular bags in the 15 to 20 ton range and a pair of the square bags in the 40 to 50 ton range. I would also get a small rectangular bag in the 3 ton range.

having sets of two allows you even lifting heights, equal capacity if stacked and the rectangular bags allow placement in their long profile or their narrow profile.

Remember, just like you can change the capacity of a rectangular bag by adjusting its orientation, you can get more lifting capacity on a square bag by using the bag diagonally if you are lifting a long slender shaped load and you have the space to fit it.

Beyond the bags, purchase a few steel plates (like aerial outrigger plates) to use on top of the bags for load distribution to increase the capacity/surface contace of the bags. Also, assure that you have ample wood cribbing (4x4, 2x4, 6x6 and wedges. Have a few precut 3/4" plywood plates the size of your bags too to use on top of your cribbing stacks or on top of the bags too for load distribution and bag protection.

Forum Member

Umn,Not exactly true with the NT bags.They have greater lift over the paratechs due to construction and load plates. Having used both(currently have paratechs)our new ones will be NT's.The ability to link the bags together has it's advantages.We've been evaluating tools and bags over the last two years and our next bags will be Resqtek NT,no other bag even comes close. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Umn,Not exactly true with the NT bags.They have greater lift over the paratechs due to construction and load plates. Having used both(currently have paratechs)our new ones will be NT's.The ability to link the bags together has it's advantages.We've been evaluating tools and bags over the last two years and our next bags will be Resqtek NT,no other bag even comes close. T.C.
    Sorry, I wasnt referring to NT Bags. HP only.

Even if I was, any airbag will only lift the amount of weight based on the surface area in contact multiplied by the operating pressure. I would say if you put a steel plate on top of a paratech bag, you'd see some capacity gain too (as I suggested).

Forum Member

Refer to above. I've GOT Paratech now. Good bag,no questions. Ours are at the end of their service life and will be replaced with NT's which I regard as a better system. No arguement on the surface area but the round NT's have a superior lift in all categories.And a NT by classification IS a HP bag,therein my reply. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Refer to above. I've GOT Paratech now. Good bag,no questions. Ours are at the end of their service life and will be replaced with NT's which I regard as a better system. No arguement on the surface area but the round NT's have a superior lift in all categories.And a NT by classification IS a HP bag,therein my reply. T.C.
    More like a donut looking thingy used for lifting.....

Forum Member

Hehe,love dem doughnuts! T.C.

Forum Member

Hey everyone, thanks for all the responses and great info. Those who know the Res-Q-Tek NT bag product. How high can the 3 different sizes lift to at full height?

Thanks!
    ~ Doc

- Happy Public Servant working in the Public Safety Field since 1998

“Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils.” ~ General John Stark

Forum Member

NT 2 is 11", NT 4 is 18", and NT 8 is 26"

So if you purchase three NT 2 bags you can lift 33"s
    Three NT 4's is 54"s and three NT 8's is 78"s

Forum Member

I'm not going to get into a debate on which bags to buy, as I would be impartial. but a look at the warranty might offer some insight.

anyways, don't get caught up in the big 50 ton bags and bigger. you will find that having multiple bags in the 20 to 35 ton range will serve you far better.

also some of the smaller (below 20 ton to 3) are great for different types of scenarios

bags are rated on surface area. if you need a 50, you could use two of the smaller side by side to get the lift. For the most part, many of your lifts are going to require lifts at separate locations on the machine, equipment, casualty. Which leads me to the bad training methods taught using the "y adapter" during bag lifts. I do allot of heavy lifts, utilizing high and low pressure. there's a reason I want to be able to control each bag individually.

also, that 50 is heavy and cumbersome and a pain to store..lol

Forum Member

Default they are all the same

Don't get caught up in some of the features like stacking 3 high. I'm not against them, my department just purchased some that stack 3 high that i recomended. Not the screw together Res Q Tek but another brand that straps together. It does have an advantage but realistically how often are you going to NEED to stack 3 bags high and make a 6 foot lift. If your not going to get good training on doing lifts like this I wouldn't recomend doing it. (A sales rep coming out for an hour and showing you how to use his bags is just good enough training to get someone hurt). No offense to the guys trying to sell their stuff on here. I would be more focused on interoperability with your mutual aid departments and customer service. Also make sure you have lots of cribbing.

Forum Member

As I mentioned earlier,the BIGGEST thing the Resqtek NT's have going for them is the ability to repair or Inspect them.From the INSIDE which is hard or impossible to do with about everyone else's bag. Stacking is nice but in a lot of years of bag use,the ONLY Hi lifts I've ever had to do were TT rollovers and LONG after the rescue had been made. T.C.

Forum Member

Thanks for everyone one's input. The officers, as a group decided to go with Paratech. They had the best commitment to continued service of the top 4 companies who's products the group liked. We selected the following, with thoughts of possible expansion in the near future.
    1: KPI-3 6"x12" (2.8 Ton) Lift Bag
    2: KPI-12 15"x15" (10.8 Ton) Lift Bags
    2: KPI-35L 15"x42" (31.1 Ton) Lift Bags
    1: Dual Deadman Controller
    1: Piston Regulator
    4: Inline Relief Valves
    5: Air Hoses (Black, Blue, Red, Green and Yellow).

Thanks again for everyone's input.
    - Doc
    ~ Doc

- Happy Public Servant working in the Public Safety Field since 1998

“Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils.” ~ General John Stark

Thread Information