Thread: Pagers

Forum Member

Default Pagers

My company uses Motorola Minitor. Apollo, US Alert etc are also listed as being decent. I was just wondering what others use and the pros and cons. Thanks.

Forum Member

Honestly, I would just get portable radios that will page. The pager takes up a channel space, but they are cheaper than a pager and some radios will allow you to have two different "pagers." Those are the pros. (2 for 1 & cost.)

Cons: Does your membership have the ability to not abuse the radio, i.e. excessive chatter?

You have to be on the pager channel to get your page. (Good for sleeping.) On the other hand, if you are monitoring the frequency who cares if the device goes beep beep.

Forum Member

All true, however: Radios are also twice the size of a pager, even a small radio. Radios have protruding antennas. Both of these factors make them uncomfortable, ugly, and easier to break. I don't really want to walk around the grocery store or go out to dinner with a two-way radio on my hip 24/7. Also, most two-way radios can only support two sets of tones per channel (foe example fire and medical tones). If you require more than two sets of tones, you are mostly SOL. Minitor V pagers support many more at once.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

I'll give you that.

I honestly do carry my pager more than I do my portable because of the size.

Forum Member

All good points thats why my pager is on my hip untill the tones go off then its the radio.

MembersZone Subscriber

Apollo VP200 voice pagers
    Apollo Pilot XP Alphanumeric Pagers

Both in the VHF Band
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Definitely going to have to say pagers are way better. As someone else said does your membership know how not to abuse the radio? I know most of the departments in my town abuse the use of the radio and they only have them when they are on calls. Radios are great pieces of equipment and very effective when used properly but most of the time they are unneeded. But anyway focusing on the pagers, my department uses Motorola and we are almost completely switched over to the 5's but we still have a lot of 4's. I've had a 5 since I've been in so I can't compare it with anything else but I love the 5's. A very good pager that is reliable. I do admit it is a little bulky but you get use to it and don't even realize it after a while.

Forum Member

Swissphone. T.C.

Thread Information