Forum Member

Default Looking to volunteer at a local fire department…

I am interested in working with emergency civil services. Almost finish with college with a major that is towards law enforcement. Was looking into volunteering for a fire department has a way to begin being involved with emergency civil services. Worried that won’t be able to be as committed to the department with finishing up school. Will have to check with volunteer departments in the area, but how does scheduling usually go? Thanks for the feedback.

Forum Member

Default Volunteer

What area are you looking at???
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

You will find that there are almost as many ways that Volunteer departments schedule and their minimum requirements as there are volunteer departments.

Most should be willing and able to work with your schedule. Since volunteers are scarce, they should be willing to work with you, within reason.

As far as being able to make the required committment. Be sure to find out what the minimum participation and training standards are for that department. If you have issues or questions, be sure to be up front with them and let them know.

What area are you in? That may determine what volunteer options you have.

Forum Member

We are always looking for new members. I hope you find a department in your area Our biggest problem is distance from the station. We need people closer because if you're WAY out then you'll never make a truck and won't gain experience.

We work with people's schedules but we also have a timeframe to get the required training done. Thjere is always someone there to help you through it all.

Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DWLWCSU View Post
    I am interested in working with emergency civil services. Almost finish with college with a major that is towards law enforcement. Was looking into volunteering for a fire department has a way to begin being involved with emergency civil services. Worried that won’t be able to be as committed to the department with finishing up school. Will have to check with volunteer departments in the area, but how does scheduling usually go? Thanks for the feedback.
    Here at my dept., we have training and meetings every Monday night (unless it is a holiday). And when the tones go off you go to the call. Maybe this is over simplified but it the short and skinny of our weekly schedule.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Thread Information