Forum Member

Default KME Excel Air Filter Options?

Our 2000 KME Excel Custom Cab pumper has a Cummins ISC 8.3L engine. The air filter is a round metal cannister type that only seems available through KME. This is an expensive filter and the obtaining them is more complicated than it should be. I can buy every type of filter for this truck and our other trucks whether through Fleetguard, WIX, Donaldson etc...except this one. Its around $300.

Does anyone know if this filter can be had by another company or brand line? I think its made by FARR if I recall. I don't know the part number off hand but what I remember is that it doesn't cross reference.

It doesn't really look too special. Round cylinder shape. Open one end, metal bottom round outlet that connects to the turbo boot elbow.

Any ideas out there?
    Assistant Chief

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fpvfd502 View Post
    Our 2000 KME Excel Custom Cab pumper has a Cummins ISC 8.3L engine. The air filter is a round metal cannister type that only seems available through KME. This is an expensive filter and the obtaining them is more complicated than it should be. I can buy every type of filter for this truck and our other trucks whether through Fleetguard, WIX, Donaldson etc...except this one. Its around $300.

Does anyone know if this filter can be had by another company or brand line? I think its made by FARR if I recall. I don't know the part number off hand but what I remember is that it doesn't cross reference.

It doesn't really look too special. Round cylinder shape. Open one end, metal bottom round outlet that connects to the turbo boot elbow.

Any ideas out there?
    Is the whole thing a disposable unit, rather than a replaceable element inside of a can? If so, it's probably a Farr Eco series filter. I have a hard time believing that KME can cost justify having a special, proprietary filter engineered, designed and manufactured when they can use an off-the-shelf item. If that's the case they should be available at most truck parts outlets. However, if it is an Eco, to the best of my knowledge you are locked into Farr. But even so, the price should be a lot less than buying it from KME. The Farr part number should be on it somewhere. If not, a competent truck parts counter person should be able to match it up from dimensions and usage. Take the old part or a picture or drawing with the dimesions with you.

I don't know where you are located by in my area sources would be Associated Truck Parts, CCC Heavy Duty Parts, Pardo's Truck Service Parts Warehouse, TransAxle and similar companies.

One other question? What is the motivation for changing filters? Are you getting a high reading on your restriction gauge? I ask that because in normal usage, truck air cleaners are usually good for 50,000 miles or more. I would equate that to well over 1500 engine hours. Truck engine and air filter people will tell you not to change them until the restriction gauge indicates the need for it.

FireMech1, any input?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Air filter

Agree with ChiefEngineer11:
    If it is a throw away it is a Farr filter. If it is a replaceable element it is a Donaldson. Take it to any good big rig truck parts store and they should be able to get you a replacement. http://www.maesco.com/products/racor...ies_intro.html

This website has three Farr filter charts with dimensions and part numbers. Gives you a comparison to what you have.
    Last edited by donethat; 11-16-2009 at 03:42 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11
    FireMech1, any input?
    I've always got input..... it's whether or not you want to read it.

KME does not have a propriety on air filters, as some would suggest. However, you can take it to NAPA, and more than likely match it up. Another source worth looking at would be these guys, they have had some of my hard to find filters. The .pdf should be pretty close to what is on your KME. The KME's I have are older with D60's.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/s...ary/000622.pdf

FM1

EDIT: Hey Chief... We replace ALL our filters yearly, whether they need them or not. Oil is done every 6 months.
    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 11-17-2009 at 04:39 AM.
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    I've always got input..... it's whether or not you want to read it.

KME does not have a propriety on air filters, as some would suggest. However, you can take it to NAPA, and more than likely match it up. Another source worth looking at would be these guys, they have had some of my hard to find filters. The .pdf should be pretty close to what is on your KME. The KME's I have are older with D60's.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/s...ary/000622.pdf

FM1

EDIT: Hey Chief... We replace ALL our filters yearly, whether they need them or not. Oil is done every 6 months.
    I've seen that statement on air cleaner replacement in various places, usually from filter manufacturers. Here's one of them:

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/s...ary/053979.pdf

On oil, no doubt you're getting the miles/hours/total fuel consumption to warrant it. I sample each vehicle's oil and trans fluid (except the ambulances) each year and work from that. The ambulances get it every year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11
    On oil, no doubt you're getting the miles/hours/total fuel consumption to warrant it. I sample each vehicle's oil and trans fluid (except the ambulances) each year and work from that. The ambulances get it every year.
    We have a local vendor that is awesome, that breaks down the oil, fuel, and tranny filters for problems. As for our Med Units, oil is changed every two months, all others twice a year. Each Med avg's about 8 runs a shift.

FM1

"Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

That's an unbelievable irresponsible use of taxpayer's hard earned funds. DOD and industry long ago proved that sampling and testing of diesel engines oil was the appropriate way to determine oil change schedule. Not based on miles, hours or cycle of the moon.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    That's an unbelievable irresponsible use of taxpayer's hard earned funds. DOD and industry long ago proved that sampling and testing of diesel engines oil was the appropriate way to determine oil change schedule. Not based on miles, hours or cycle of the moon.
    Yes and no. Change schedules suggested by vehicle and component manufacturers are based on years of experience but they are also averaged for the many uses to which their products are put. I'm sure that they're also fudged somewhat to the "safe side." Those schedules are also useful for people who don't have the resources to do routine sampling. The schedules are there to keep users out of trouble, and to give the manufacturers a warranty "out" when a failure occurs and no scientific reason for not following their stated schedule is presented.

Large fleets, for the most part, do not do sampling of the fluids from every vehicle at every change. Doing so would represent a considerable expense. After having done sampling of a large portion of their fleets, even every vehicle in their fleets for a period of several years, they are able to develop their own statistical data base that gives them their own ideal change interval translated to miles or hours or total fuel consumption. After that, they do occasional samples for validation and verification purposes.

For a small fleet such as ours, we cannot develop a meaningful data base for several reasons. Our operations are too sporadic. We don't have two of anything. Our vehicles don't run the same number of miles each year. And we're small enough that annual sampling doesn't represent a large number of dollars each year. So our best approach is to sample each item each year, and base our changes on the results.

I will say this much: After three years I do change engine oil even if the analysis comes back with the notation, "Suitable for continued use." And I have added TBN/TAN to the analyses for a minimal added cost.
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 11-20-2009 at 05:32 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10
    KMA

Long ago, you didn't have low sulfur fuel, or ultra low sulfur fuel. Now you do. Problem is, without that sulfur in the fuel, it adds and multiplies the rate of the oil breakdown. This is proven by DOD and through your so called industry analysts. But I digress.

Fire and rescue vehicles are way above the standard title of "severe" usage when it comes to the oil change interval. And with that, I want to protect the investments of our tax payers dollars. I'd rather see them (me included) paying $200 a year for oil changes that will keep the rig running for 15 yrs, than to have to spend $10,000 for a rig that is 8 yrs old, for a new engine.

Until you are a ASE Master Mechanic, Heavy truck and bus, and an EVT Master Mechanic, you need to STFU.

FM1

Oh Thank Heaven for SQ27

The Air Filter is from FARR - we purchase them every couple of years for our 2000 Excel.

We obtained them from a local Napa... just to reinforce what the others have been saying.

Question - Our's has the Q2 through the grill... Anyone have issues with the reinforcement pieces coming loose? When we step on the pedal we get a clunk in the floor boards.

Sean Desjardins, Captain
    Westampton Township Emergency Services
    http://www.westamptonfire.org

Thread Information