Forum Member

Default Bout to take EMT B

I am about to start taking courses to become firefighter, my first class will be EMT B. Is there anything that I should learn before going? I heard that Northwest Akansas is a tough place to get your emt licence, where I am taking the class. Should I study anything before starting class?
    Thanks
    Blake

Forum Member

Anatomy and Physiology is a must for sure. Also if you have your EMT-B book look over Vitals and History/Patient Assessment. This covers the hardest to learn sections of EMT-B, for me any how.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure if Arkansas uses a test based off the NREMT test, but if they do start working on learning the Medical and Trauma Assessments. It will probably be in the first few chapters of the book. Nearly everything else builds off these two skills. You'll also find many test questions throughout the course from these two items and on the NREMT test.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Blake,
    I am going to guess that it your are in NWA then you will be going to NWACC?

If you are just starting your EMT-B classes, then I assume that you have your First responder class out of the way, which is a good starting point. What you'll need to know; Pay attention in class, Study, read the chapters, take notes. Pretty much everything you'll need to do for any other class you will ever take. Arkansas uses that National registry testing for state testing, so it's a good general test that the registry can be used in many different states if you decide to move.

NWACC has a great staff of educators there. There is not a single instructor there that doesn't currently work on the streets or the ER.

What department are you on? Which do you want to get on at?

Forum Member

Just got done with my EMT-b class myself. Can only think of one think that no one else has said yet. Remember

BSI SCENE SAFE

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trojans15 View Post
    I am about to start taking courses to become firefighter, my first class will be EMT B. Is there anything that I should learn before going? I heard that Northwest Akansas is a tough place to get your emt licence, where I am taking the class. Should I study anything before starting class?
    Thanks
    Blake
    It is harder to get your EMT there than anywhere else? That is hard to believe since it is NREMT testing.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

No
    It is just like any other NREMT testing.

Forum Member

Im just telling you what I heard, I planned on going to NWACC but I do not have First Responder so I was looking into Ft. Smith UofA because you dont need first responder, should I just get first responder then go to NWACC or go ahead and take it at Ft. Smith? It will be a longer distance to drive to ft. smith but I really want to get emtb so I can go ahead and start testing at local stations.

Forum Member

If your interested in NWACC, go and talk to Scott Byrd he is incharge of the EMTB program there. He may let you into the program without the First responder class.

The program isn't any harder than others in the area; UAFS or NorthARK. As for testing you'll get plenty of time to practice. If you show up for the practice and pay attention in the class you'll pass the testing.

I'm just telling you what I since I've help test EMT and Paramedic students for the NREMT at NWACC for a few years now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    It is harder to get your EMT there than anywhere else? That is hard to believe since it is NREMT testing.
    It was SARCASM.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Arparamedic04, I am going into NWACC today to take a test that will allow me to bypass first responder. What should I expect from this test? Im not sure you will get this in time but I thought I would try.

Forum Member

The test was over first responder so now im just waiting on the results.

Forum Member

Just pay attention and study and you wont fail.

If you do fail, consider yourself not fit for the job.

Its the divine being's way of showing you to not persue the field.

Forum Member

If you fail it doesn't mean you aren't fit for the job. You just have to work for it. If you don't study, don't expect to pass.
    I got my NREMT back in Michigan, and aced the practicals, but missed the written by one point. (Have a Bachelor's degree as well) I used what was on the test to study from, and got it the second time.
    Some people are just not good at written tests, like my husband for example. But somehow he managed to get the 10th highest score on the video-based fire test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bobbbbbbbbbbo View Post
    I think you're half right. I have seen people who DO make it through the class and into the field who aren't fit for the job. Heck, I've seen people in the field who I wouldn't let work on a CAT, much less a human being. Some folks are just great at taking tests but lack the compassion or common sense it takes to work in EMS. That said, I agree with brownsquirrel... some folks aren't good test takers. That doesn't necessarily mean they won't make excellent EMTs/Medics/FFs.

But whether you are great at taking tests or not should never be an excuse for not doing your absolute best. STUDY, STUDY, STUDY! Read the material. Read it twice, three times. You should be able to spout off random information from your book at a moment's notice. Granted, MOST folks won't retain all of the info in their books, that's why it's important to be constantly brushing up on those seldom used skills and subjects so that when they ARE needed, your patient's well being won't be compromised.

Forum Member

I see what you all are saying, I didnt mean that it applies 100%, as anyone can fail due to a variety of reasons. Didnt mean to dog on you Trojan.

But I do see a large amount of people who persue the field just because of the so-called "glamour" from being in EMS, and those are the people I'm referring to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trojans15 View Post
    Im just telling you what I heard, I planned on going to NWACC but I do not have First Responder so I was looking into Ft. Smith UofA because you dont need first responder, should I just get first responder then go to NWACC or go ahead and take it at Ft. Smith? It will be a longer distance to drive to ft. smith but I really want to get emtb so I can go ahead and start testing at local stations.
    I don't see any need for first responder certification to take EMT class. Get first aide and healthcare provider CPR/AED certified and take the EMT class wherever they will let you. As far as advice pre class, DO NOTHING. You need to learn the skills in class where there is practical execution and demonstrations. If you read ahead or try teaching yourself you will just have to relearn. Remember these classes vary by region protocols and I highly recommend you learn both what is needed for your region and remember national standards for taking the national exam. Don't over think anything, take it at face value. This isn't rocket science it's basics of life support which are the essentials. Good luck and hope to see you posting about being on a department or ambulance service!

PS: You don't need your EMT to be on a volunteer BLS service.
    Firefighter/EMT 712
    NREMT
    Gifford Fire And Rescue
    6 month Probie
    Medic Student

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bobbbbbbbbbbo View Post
    Just pay attention and study and you wont fail.

Its the divine being's way of showing you to not persue the field.
    If you fail try again. Many things can contribute to failing the class such as different teaching methods etc. . It's a very simple class as said but don't take failing as defeat, EVER.
    Firefighter/EMT 712
    NREMT
    Gifford Fire And Rescue
    6 month Probie
    Medic Student

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireEMT712 View Post

PS: You don't need your EMT to be on a volunteer BLS service.
    Not true. Here depends on department and weither you live in distract or out. Most if you in distract will let you join weither you have anything or not. Out of distract some want you to have atleast EMT-B. Some its EMT-B or FF1 and some require you have both weither in distract or out. I am not sure about where your at but I would say it really just depends on where your at.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Anatomy and medical terminology would be a couple of good places to start especially if you dont have a strong background in medical.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by supafly808 View Post
    Anatomy and medical terminology would be a couple of good places to start especially if you dont have a strong background in medical.
    I agree 100%. I took my EMT class with minimal prior medical knowledge, got out into the field, then took some anatomy and medical terminology classes. Looking back I would have taken those classes first, although not a huge deal. The information I learned in these classes helped so many things make much more sense; they really tie things together in a way that taking the EMT class alone won't do for you.

At the risk of sounding contradictory, I would really only concern myself with taking the anatomy/med terms classes if there is some reason you can't take the EMT class right away. They do help, but the class itself is not horribly difficult so I wouldn't call them necessary. I would say they help more with patient care than success in your EMT class.

Forum Member

I am loving EMT. I dont think I will have to hard of a time in the class. I never put much effort into school but EMT really makes me want to learn as much as I can to prepare for firefighting. Assuming that I pass the class, what should I do next? Are there other certs I could get? Such as Firefighter I, how does that work do I need to wait to get hired to take this class or could I go ahead and take it? Any advise on what to do next would be great.
    Thanks for all the feedback

Thread Information