Forum Member

Default Christmas / Academy Graduation Gift

My boyfriend is graduating Fire Academy in December. I'd like to get him a nice Christmas present that will either commemorate this milestone or will be useful to him. He is an EMT planning on getting his medic in a few years, and this academy is for a combo volunteer/paid dept. but he is currently testing for paid departments and is strong enough of a candidate that he should be on a paid dept. in a year or 2.

Thank you in advance for any ideas!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    My boyfriend is graduating Fire Academy in December. I'd like to get him a nice Christmas present that will either commemorate this milestone or will be useful to him. He is an EMT planning on getting his medic in a few years, and this academy is for a combo volunteer/paid dept. but he is currently testing for paid departments and is strong enough of a candidate that he should be on a paid dept. in a year or 2.

Thank you in advance for any ideas!!!
    A pair of high quality leather fire boots. Pro Warrington or Thorogood are good choices.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    He should be picked up by a paid department in a year or two? You know this for a fact do you? Who told you this? Your Magic 8-Ball?
    In this present economy, I would not be betting on that. However! Hold out good hope and thoughts for him.

That said; if he is graduating an academy with a combination department next month, any and all equipment should be issued to him. Therefore I would urge against not getting him anything equipment/gear wise as these will be provided. Any tools, knives, etc; I would advise against also. He may likely have an idea of some tools he wants already and unless you are aware of what these are, you are most likely not to get the one he wants and therefore will probabaly feel a little obligated to use. This may backfire.

Instead, look for something more along the lines of commemoration. A shadow box, a maltese cross medallion, a St Florian's medal. I think these will have more sentimental value to him than a tool, knife, boots or glove holder.

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

well in the short term if he remains a volunteer - Short/long term disability insurance policy would be very helpful. Most state's worker's comp only cover medical expenses. Trust me I've learned the hard way

leather suspenders!

Thread Information