MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Canadian wood in space

At least that was the "Talk of The Radio" this morning. Apparently in addtion to the regular gear being sent up, they also put up a load of weeping willow sapplings to see how zero g would affect their growth.....

Shuttle Atlantis heads to space station

By Irene Klotz, Reuters November 16, 2009

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Space shuttle Atlantis and six astronauts blasted off from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida on Monday on one of the last supply runs to the International Space Station before the shuttle fleet is retired next year.

The shuttle roared off its seaside launch pad at 2:28 p.m. EST (1928 GMT), punching through a thin layer of clouds as it soared over the Atlantic Ocean heading toward an orbital linkup with the space station on Wednesday.

"Have a great ride to orbit and a fantastic mission," Jeff Lauffer, test director for shuttle contractor United Space Alliance, radioed to the crew shortly before Atlantis lifted off.

Atlantis carries nearly 30,000 pounds (13,610 kg) of pumps, gyroscopes and tanks of nitrogen, ammonia and oxygen, as well as other gear too big to be carried by the Russian, European and Japanese cargo ships that will keep the station supplied after the shuttles are retired.

"It's been the workhorse of just getting the big parts up," Atlantis commander Charles Hobaugh said of the shuttle in a prelaunch interview. "The station itself right now is an incredible vehicle. We just need to provide its sustainment."

Following Atlantis' mission, which is scheduled to last 11 days, NASA plans five more flights to complete the station.

The shuttle is being replaced by a capsule-style spacecraft called Orion that can travel to the moon and other places in the solar system in addition to the station, which orbits about 225 miles (360 km) above Earth.

The station, a $100 billion project of 16 nations, has been under construction for more than a decade.

NASA plans to end the 30-year-old space shuttle program next year, bowing to long-standing concerns about safety and the expense associated with maintaining and flying Atlantis and its two sister ships, Discovery and Endeavour.

The shuttle program costs NASA about $5 billion a year, and has claimed the lives of 14 astronauts. The first crew of seven perished during a launch accident in 1986 and the second died during a landing attempt in 2003 due to a heat shield breach.

Atlantis will bring home station flight engineer Nicole Stott, the last station crew member to fly on the shuttle. She spent three months living and working on the space station.

During its planned 11-day mission, the Atlantis crew is scheduled to conduct three spacewalks to install antennas, replace an oxygen tank on the U.S. airlock and other tasks.

NASA built four pallets to hold spare pumps, gyroscopes, tanks of oxygen, nitrogen and ammonia, as well as other gear.

Two will fly on Atlantis and will be mounted outside the station during the shuttle's weeklong visit. The final two pallets will fly on the last two shuttle flights next year.

"We're going to warehouse parts that only the shuttle can deliver in large volume," said Mike Sarafin, NASA's lead flight director.

While the equipment is not needed today, NASA wants to have the critical spare parts available so the station can remain viable through at least 2015, and possibly to 2020 or beyond.

Extending the station is among the recommendations of a presidential panel that reviewed the U.S. human space program this summer. The Obama administration is considering changes to the agency's $18 billion budget, about half of which is spent on human space exploration initiatives.

In addition to Hobaugh, who is making his third spaceflight, the crew includes pilot Barry Wilmore, flight engineer Randy Bresnik, lead spacewalker Michael Foreman and astronauts Leland Melvin and Robert Satcher. Wilmore, Bresnik and Satcher are making their first spaceflights.

Copyright (c) AFP

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not going to lie, if I was in space I would have wood too.....
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

You can't tell me they have not had "experiments" on sex in space.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    You can't tell me they have not had "experiments" on sex in space.
    I know it seems like they have cameras and mics everywhere, so common sense would be no.

But I know that every guy (and I'm sure some gals) would be curious to know what it would be like to get it on in space. And I have seen enough security tapes out there to show that the cameras don't always discourage people.

I wonder if NASA has classified "experiments" up there.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    I know it seems like they have cameras and mics everywhere, so common sense would be no.

But I know that every guy (and I'm sure some gals) would be curious to know what it would be like to get it on in space. And I have seen enough security tapes out there to show that the cameras don't always discourage people.

There's a movie with Lou Diamond Phillips (Supernova) about a space crew who basically run a medical/ambulance service. Mixed crew, of course, and at one point he's talking to the sr doctor and she's asked him why he hasn't made an effort to get to know the crew. His response is something like:

"The Captain is playing with his plants and Lund and Marley are practicing anatomy in any dark corridor." Or something like that.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post

You know they have "researched" reproduction in a weightless environment.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information