Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Florida NAS or anybody that can help me...

Hey people...just got an email today from Key West NAS HR that said I am being referred for an Emergency Services Dispatcher position NTE 13 months. Does anybody know why this area or position is a term position? Also, if I did take the position and did my year or so down there, would they try to make me a permanent employee or try to relocate me elsewhere to stay in the system? I just want to make sure I have all my information in case I got the offer because this sounds like it would be a good starting point even though it is only a GS-04...Everybody has to start somewhere and now is not the time to be too picky..Thanks

Is it a TERM or TEMP job???
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

it is a TERM appointment...does anybody know what is going on down there....contacting soon? closing the air station?..thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondude View Post
    if I did take the position and did my year or so down there, would they try to make me a permanent employee or try to relocate me elsewhere to stay in the system?
    They could certainly try to make you a career employee, however there is no obligation on the US Government's part to do that. I myself was made a career employee after about a year into a term position. Now, that being said, I take it from your name you are located in Boston- I didn't have to move over a thousand miles to take the job, in fact I didn't have to move at all. So it was easy for me. My advice- if you are indeed in Boston, I wouldn't accept a GS-04 TERM NTE 13 months, without knowing exactly what is going on- which would make me want to contact HR at NAS Key West to get the story, not accept second hand info from some forum sources.

As far as relocation- If you are released from the position due to the term expiring, again the US Government is under no obligation and will not assist you in any way.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

thanks for the info...so I guess the upside is gain the experience, possibly open a door for other dispatcher opportunities, and hopefully make some connections/networking w/ other federal employees down there...downside is moving w/ uncertainty and not knowing the status of the NAS down there...well I know if I do happen to get an offer I will try to get as much info from HR as possible and see why they are only making it a term position...for whatever its worth, I searched other KEY WEST NAS position and it seemed like the majority were term postions so it makes me wonder what the story is down there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondude View Post
    thanks for the info...so I guess the upside is gain the experience, possibly open a door for other dispatcher opportunities, and hopefully make some connections/networking w/ other federal employees down there...downside is moving w/ uncertainty and not knowing the status of the NAS down there...well I know if I do happen to get an offer I will try to get as much info from HR as possible and see why they are only making it a term position...for whatever its worth, I searched other KEY WEST NAS position and it seemed like the majority were term postions so it makes me wonder what the story is down there.

See if there fire department has a website. If they do, I can almost guarantee any info about a possible base closure or down sizing will be addresses.

Thread Information