Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Resume

Post Resume

Hello I am testing as a firefighter in the state of California and starting to get some of the main requirement that make me a better a candidate. If some of you could check my resume to see if there is anything that I should add or revise I will appreciate it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Input

Ryan, I'm no expert resume writer, but I would recommend getting it down to one page and eliminating the high school info. Different formats may save space if you are having trouble keeping it to one page. Go to www.firerecruit.com and look at the resume builder page. It has some other samples and some articles about resume writing. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tealla42 View Post
    Ryan, I'm no expert resume writer, but I would recommend getting it down to one page and eliminating the high school info.
    I have a very good friend who works in HR of a pretty big firm. One of his responsibilities is looking at resumes. He provided me with some tips of the business, and he also helped me set up a new resume, which I attached a (slightly edited version) copy of here. Fitting it all onto one page is not a big a deal as some people think- The trick is to have a neatly organized resume which provides all of the pertinent information. If you need 2 pages to do that, then so be it- but don't have the wrong or un-necessary info on those two pages. Mine happens to be one page because I have all of the pertinent information on it- if I tried to add more, it would look like I was trying to "pad" my resume. And yes, you can cut the education, if they want that, they will ask you in the interview process.

I'm not thrilled about the lines/boxes on your resume. Looks......I cant place a word with it, it just looks strange. The friend I mentioned above set mine up in a "bullet-point" type of resume, which draws the reader's attention to your strong points.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 11-20-2009 at 10:24 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Resumes

Most resumes are poorly done. The business resume format is not the best for firefighter candidates, because with the high volume of candidates, the raters only have a few moments to look at your resume before you walk into the room.

I’m a one-page resume guy for entry level without a cover letter, not in a binder or folder. Do not give us a book. We will not read it. The board does not have enough time. And do not come an interview thinking you are going to hand out your resume and we’re going to read it. That is not going to happen. This upsets the normal flow of the interview. We’re going to read your application and resume before you come in the room. If you submit a resume, get it to personnel to be placed in your file before the interview. Don’t fax It. Make the appropriate copies and hand deliver or FedEx them.

A candidate faxed me his resume. The cover letter for the position he was applying for stated, “Attached is a “brief” description of my qualifications.” I laughed out loud because he had sent me a book. The printer ran out of paper. Save a tree, the raters will not read these volumes. Don’t send me on a treasure hunt to find your great stuff. Hit me with your major qualifications starting with your experience on one page. Write it believing the raters won’t go past the first page. You can put any supporting details, documents, certificates and letters of recommendation following the first page. Keep it simple.

Many people start their resume with their education. That's a business format. Jump right off the page with professional experience if you want to make a statement in a fire interview. Hit me with experience, bam! Fire fighting, bam! Some kind of training, apparatus operator training, fire school, whatever it is. Hit me with that experience. And that doesn’t necessarily have to be in chronological order or fire service experience.

On so many of the resumes I see, I find the important stuff way down at the bottom of the first page. Because that’s how it falls in chronological order. It starts with some education up here, some college, whatever, blah blah, experience, now we’re down at the bottom of the page where I might not see it.

I was reviewing a candidate’s resume and in chronological order his paramedic certification was at the bottom of the page. I asked him, “What are the most important items on your resume? He said, my Firefighter 1 and Paramedic Certification.” They were at the bottom of the page where they might be missed. We put those items on top so those are the first things that hit you. We put the dates on the right side of the page where it can be referenced. Once you put the dates on the right-hand side of the page, you list your experience in order of importance, not just in chronological order. This makes a big difference.

My suggestion for a firefighter resume format: name, address, phone number & e-mail address, professional experience, education, volunteer and community service. That’s all you need. Nothing more. Nothing less. Keep it simple.

Make a photocopy because you never know when you’re going to that job interview. I talk to people who have put in applications and resumes, and six to eight months later they don’t have a copy and don’t remember what they’ve put down.

Here’s a sample:
    Carl Mcfly (Revised)
    1284 Main St.
    Kensington, Ca 94588
    Phone: 510-286-5890 e-mail: Iwantafirejob@aol.com

OBJECTIVE: To achieve a level within the fire service.

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:

Firefighter Fire Department, CA 2-00 Present
    Duties include but are not limited to fire suppression in structural as well as wild land environments and emergency medical services under highly stressful emergency conditions. Also, fire prevention, public education, vehicle and station maintenance under the supervision of a Captain, always focusing on providing quality customer service.

Engineer (Acting) 2-03 Present

Firefighter Fire Department (Auxiliary) 3-99 2-00
    Perform in a probationary capacity under emergency situations, fire suppression, emergency medical services, also fire prevention, public education, vehicle and station maintenance.

EMT Ambulance Service, CA 3-99 2-00
    Perform under emergency situations; emergency medical services under the direction of Redondo Beach and L.A. County Fire Department Paramedics. Vehicle and station maintenance and Code-3 driving.

INSTRUCTOR Emergency Response CPR Training 3-03 Present
    Adult, Child, & Infant CPR training for the community as well as for the professional rescuer.

Owner/Operator Pool Company, CA 5-97 2-00
    Service and repair of residential and commercial pools and spas according to County Health Department specifications.

EDUCATION

Bachelor’s Degree EMT Defib and Combitube certified
    Firefighter I Red Cross certified CPR Instructor
    Firefighter II Federal Red Card System Member
    Driver/Operator State certified Class B Driver’s License

ACTIVITIES

Member of State University Track and Field Team.
    Member of State University X-Country Team.
    Volunteer for Hubbs Institute White Sea Bass Population Restoration Project.
    Volunteer for Red Cross on various projects.

-30-

That’s all you need. Nothing more. Nothing less. Keep it simple.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 11-23-2009 at 05:27 PM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Ryan- A one page resume is the ticket. Actually, pretty much any one page document is the ticket for me.

Here is some info- 7 Tips for a Better Resume

Also- Since you are living and testing in California, you need to see the CAREER PREP section of California Firefighter.com www.californiafirefighter.com

Thank all of you that all helped out alot... Been working on a update and have gotten it down to one page and put the more important items at top...

Thread Information