Forum Member

Question How do I put on turnout gear?

I am an Explorer for a Fire Department in Oklahoma, and I was just issued my set of turnout gear. It is a full set with everything except the SCBA.

1. Is there a particular method you don turnout gear?

2. Any advice on how to get it on...fast?

3. Also, what's an easy way to get your pants and boot to come together as a "unit"...so when you jump into the boots, you can immediately pull up your pants?

4. And...those gloves. Those evil gloves. Anybody have expierence with Firedex's Cow Hide Fire Gloves? It's unbelievably hard to move your hand in these gloves. Is that a normal thing? Do gloves "break in"?

5. What's your dept's reccomend turnout time without SCBA?

6. Is 45 seconds full turnout gear w/o SCBA good?

Also, is it okay to just put on the pants and the coat and get your hood, helmet, and gloves on while en-route to a structure fire?

Thanks!

Forum Member

First in !!!
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, there is a right way to put it all on. Talk to the person in charge of your explorer program and have them teach you the proper way to don and doff your gear. Until then, do NOT wear the gear. You will have a false sense of confidence that you are protected when in fact you will probably not be wearing it properly. Honestly, the explorer post is failing you by issuing you gear without training and are opening themselves up to a huge amount of liability by not providing training. Standard is usually 60 seconds to don PPE minus SCBA. Once trained in the proper don/doff method, just practice bunker drills over and over and over. Until then keep it in a safe place.

Forum Member

you only have to be faster than the slowest guy on the piece. you dont want them to have to wait for you

Forum Member

Put you gear on one leg at a time.Slow down.You ain't gonna make first out all the time.As for putting gear on while on the truck,PUT YOUR SEAT BELT ON.Are you old enough to get on a truck?
    It's not that life is so short,it's cause you're dead for so long.

MembersZone Subscriber

Put it on slow, you don't wan't your concealed handgun falling out of your pocket.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Ask who ever is incharge how to do it.

as for the boots pants issue, scrunch up the leg a bit then put your arm through the pant leg and grab the rung on the boot. Pull through and repeat with other leg. Now the pants are around the ankles ready to delpoy. Just step in the boots one foot at a time and pull them up. make sure the pants are the right sizr for you cause tight pants are a pain to get on.

As for the gloves, ya just got to work them out a bit. get them wet and use them all the time. they will loosen up in time.

anything under a minute is good. But remember that you need to SLOW DOWN TO SPEED UP! Everyone who has been on the job for any amount of time knows what i am talking about. The building is not going anywhere and you will make the rig if you stay calm and get things done smoothly. Talk with your group leader and ask him how your department runs things. you may not need your jacket on when you get on the rig (put it on enroute) and don't wear your helmet in the rig.
    The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men. ~Henry David Thoreau

Forum Member

keep your gear set up the right way outside the truck.

when i first started firefighting i kept my pants/boots outside on the ground and my jacket turned upside down and away from me with the sleeves pulled through a little so after i jumped in my boots i could just bend over and stick my hands in and lift my arms over my head to get my jacket on. i also kept my hood on top of my jacket that way i didnt have to worry about tucking it into my jacket while enroute to a call.

as for the gloves, they will break in. just use them and they'll be comfy and youll have your dexterity back in no time.

theres really no need to have your helmet or gloves on enroute to a call (you just over heat quicker). put your hood on and pull it back and keep your gloves in your pocket for when you get on scene and throw your helmet on when you get out of the truck.

2 minutes was technically our bunker gear drill time limit (scba and bunker gear) but in our SOP with the ARFF unit i was with we had to be dressed and anywhere on the airfield within 2 minutes so they didnt really go hand in hand. most had it down to about 1:15 once you get used to it. keep practicing and always remember SLOW IS FAST! practice doing it slowly at first so you really get a feel of how to do it, and then start speeding it up once you get comfortable.

MembersZone Subscriber

First you get good, then you get fast. Have your officer teach you the proper way that he/she recommends, then practice! Best of luck in the future.

Forum Member

My opinion, not that it really matters, is that you get it on correctly. When you learn how to don the gear correctly you can then work on the speed.

Isn't this also covered in Level 1? It's been so long.

We have Jrs that worry so much about the speed and then they realize they've done it wrong.

As far as the gloves, yes as far as I know they are like anything else leather. They can be broken in, but also make sure the size is right. I wear large gloves, but my large extrication gloves are too small.

Forum Member

Why is a junior going online and asking strangers how to perform a basic task that should be taught by his instructors ? Do you not have any supervision ?

Forum Member

While i agree you should really have an expert show you first hand and walk you through it, there are plenty of video's on YouTube showing people doing it in "races". Do a search.

There is also slow, step by step video's by a fire Captain who walk you through it as well. Again, none of this replaces someone doing it with you to make sure you do it right, but this will get you started:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...irefighter+tur

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureMedic09 View Post
    In a sane society, this is the only question that would get any attention at all.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureMedic09 View Post
    In a sane society, this is the only question that would get any attention at all.
    My problem is that I'm too fast....
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    My problem is that I'm too fast....
    Try putting more gear on after you've put on your first set of gear. That's what I do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Try putting more gear on after you've put on your first set of gear. That's what I do.
    But I always hear the old timers complain that the new gear doesn't let us feel the heat like we used to....

...also, is it okay to borrow gear that belongs to someone else?

Forum Member

But I always hear the old timers complain that the new gear doesn't let us feel the heat like we used to....
    I'm using gear as a verb, not a noun...

I mean go to a second fire after your first. You will fight fire for longer at the second fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm using gear as a verb, not a noun...

I mean go to a second fire after your first. You will fight fire for longer at the second fire.
    I tried that once, I had to go to rehab during the second fire and send in the mutual aid crew....

Forum Member

I tried that once, I had to go to rehab during the second fire and send in the mutual aid crew....
    You're in one of those open fire departments.

Have you ever used a double female?

MembersZone Subscriber

You're in one of those open fire departments.

Have you ever used a double female?
    No, but I had my fair share of friction loss. And once it looked like a real big fire, but I got held up at the gated-Y...

Forum Member

Times have changed. For the better... I guess, but who kinda misses throwing your coat on while rolling down the street, looking for smoke, pulling your boots up while standing up ?... I mostly rode standing in the jumpseat area but would ride the back step as well. I know it wasnt as safe as being belted and enclosed, but it sure was a lot more fun...
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    I know it wasnt as safe as being belted and enclosed, but it sure was a lot more fun...
    Well you know, the times have changed. You should always enclose it to make it safe...

Forum Member

I am getting old. Some other things I miss. Rolling your boots down and opening up your coat when you were overhauling....while having a cigarette.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

most of us still have a cigarette after that final wet down.

Thread Information