Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I continue to find it amazing that the FDNY continue to view the EMS side of it's operations as nothing but a drain on resources and a hole for members seemingly not worthy of wearing the FDNY uniform.

FDNY is fire and EMS. Every other urban FD views it's EMS operations and EMS personnel as equally important as it's suppression personnel. In fact, some urban departments make little or no separations between them.

I just simply do not understand it. It makes no sense whatsoever.

The fact is crossing over from the EMS to the fire side should be viewed as completely legitimate. It is just about everywhere else.

I simply do not get it.

It's the same organization.

Or at least that is what you would think given that it says "FDNY" on the side of both the ladders and the ambos.

I find it amazing that you continue to speak about something that you know nothing about. Stay the f*ck out of our threads.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

I continue to find it amazing that the FDNY continue to view the EMS side of it's operations as nothing but a drain on resources and a hole for members seemingly not worthy of wearing the FDNY uniform.

FDNY is fire and EMS. Every other urban FD views it's EMS operations and EMS personnel as equally important as it's suppression personnel. In fact, some urban departments make little or no separations between them.

I just simply do not understand it. It makes no sense whatsoever.

The fact is crossing over from the EMS to the fire side should be viewed as completely legitimate. It is just about everywhere else.

I simply do not get it.

It's the same organization.

Or at least that is what you would think given that it says "FDNY" on the side of both the ladders and the ambos.
    Why don't you stick to exterior ops.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CalmB4Storm View Post
    Why don't you stick to exterior ops.
    Or your apparent "true calling": Security

Quote Originally Posted by SPFD17 View Post
    Just looking for some new answers/opinions.
    Round three of the same question in this thread?

And our opinions have changed how?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleb1983 View Post
    Hahahahahaha...
    Blah blah blah....

Quit being such a drama queen and wasting all that energy by posting about how mad you are at the system and put that energy to good use and change the system if you don't like it. The change ain't gonna come from firehouse forums. People are going to continue to take advantage of opportunities that are presented to them, whether you support it or not.
    And you! Just because an "opportunity" exists, does not mean it is particularly on the level. The promotional was created to appease certain groups. Just like the now relaxed standards for the Open Competitive.
    We are not able to effect change of these practices. But we can be a voice of those that have seen the results of them.

You said it yourself above: "People are going to continue to take advantage".

We highly don't encourage people in our job to "take advantage".

Forum Member

I find it amazing that you continue to speak about something that you know nothing about. Stay the f*ck out of our threads

"Your" threads????

It's a simple question. Please explain to me how making a lateral move within the same department is taking advantage?

How is this different from the same type of move in any other metro department?

Forum Member

I find it amazing that you continue to speak about something that you know nothing about. Stay the f*ck out of our threads

"Your" threads????

It's a simple question. Please explain to me how making a lateral move within the same department is taking advantage?

Learn how to f*cking read, all this sh*t has been rehashed numerous times in this thread and the other ones that go back years.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Here is a quote from a NYC EMS worker:

To begin let me tell you that EMS workers are total outsiders in the Fire Department. We are second class citizens in a department that was supposed to "welcome us". FDNY welcomed EMS workers by taking away our career path that we had under HHC that lead us from EMT's and Paramedics to the careers of Nursing, and Physician Assistant. To make up for this FDNY created a promotional exam for EMS workers that lead to Firefighter. This has made a bad situation worse. Now EMS is overrun with applicants who are looking for the golden ticket to Firefighting. They go to EMS to serve out their 2 years so they can take a back door exam to Firefighter. These people who probably could not pass the regular test for Firefighter don't care about EMS. All they are looking for is their Fire Academy start date. This has decimated EMS ranks.

Go to this website and learn for yourself:

http://fdnyemswebsite.com/
    Last edited by CalmB4Storm; 11-29-2009 at 06:36 PM.

Forum Member

Wow .. Worse that I thought.

Forum Member

Finally! Some actual reasoning and discussion of what the problem with moving from EMS to Fire. Thank you for the fdnyemswebsite link. If somebody would have clearly outlined and explained all this to begin with instead of writing meaningless posts filled with name calling and cussing, people might actually get an idea as to what the issue is.

As somebody who has worked in EMS for nearly a decade, I take great offense to people using my career as a springboard. I got into this to take care of people in what is potentially their biggest time of need and it drives me nuts when people in this career are apathetic.

The problem appears to be the entire system. I've also noticed that DC and Philadelphia have similar issues. There's an overwhelming number of people wanting to jump into firefighting and an underwhelming number of people wanting to take part in EMS. Unfortunately many of the fire departments that take over EMS systems seem to push EMS to the back burner rather than actively building it up. As essential as EMS is, if morale isn't changed, people will not stick with a job that that is understaffed, underpaid, continuously abused by peers, and overworked -- people will continue to jump from EMS to Fire until working on an ambulance is more desirable.

This is a problem that effects everyone within the FDNY. This should be motivation to make a change in the department instead of Fire and EMS being at odds with each other.

If you keep on doing what you've always done, you'll keep on getting what you've always got.
    Last edited by Kaleb1983; 11-30-2009 at 01:05 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like both sides need to grow up a bit. I'm sorry if i offend you new yorkers but i really don't give a rats *****. You kill the messenger because of an overhead decision, that's about as mature as a 5th grade. At least be happy that people still want to test for the department while other people struggle to find candidates just to take the test. What a bunch of spoiled babies

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sorry, the point of your post was what?
    To come in and call name-callers names?
    Hit and run with no relevance, thanks.

Do show us where these "other people struggle to find candidates just to take the test."
    Haven't heard of any shortage in candidates lately.
    But do go on......

MembersZone Subscriber

i've been paying attention to this thread and have replied before in this thread. This is my reaction to the webpage that was posted in this thread. There are actually a shortage of candidates these days not necessarily in the paid world but in the volunteer world there is. The way this argument is going it sounds like FDNY is behind the times. Your setting here bickering about how there is no place for ems in your department when a good majority of departments have both and they get along fine. L.A has fire medics, so does philly, do I need to list more. Most places to test require at least an EMT Certification. This whole thing is boiling down to hurt feelings from a decision way up that was beyond the FDNY firefighters control and a ******ing contest of who is better. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm just saying that the whole argument sounds rather dumb.

Forum Member

Now I remember why I dont engage these threads...
    Last edited by SkylinePCG; 11-30-2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: These people are retards.

MembersZone Subscriber

so everybody in ems is a bunch of lazy bums, and no one from the hiring pool could possibly have the same outcome. I get the reasoning now I'm so glad that this is cleared up. I apologize for trying to make sense of this stupid argument and won't do it again. I also inform those lazy ems bums to shape up.

Forum Member

Last edited by SkylinePCG; 11-30-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Thread Information