1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default FDNY - Paramedic promo?

    Hi guys, I've read through some of the topics already started on this issue and while there was some good information, I felt that none of them really pertained to my situation or fully answered my question so here I am.

    As I read through the other topics, I was almost shocked at how negative people felt about the EMS promotion to Firefighter program NY has. I still don't fully understand this.
    I have always wanted to be a firefighter, and for the last 3 years I've wanted to be a firefighter in NYC. I went out to lunch with a couple firefighters and was surprised to find that most of the calls are medical. That kind of alarmed me but still appealed to me, so I decided that my first order of business was to get involved as an EMT. It could reassure me that this is what I really wanted to do while providing me with a source of income while I try to get into a Fire department. Meanwhile I start a training regime and since I was 17 I've been doing cardio, weight lifting, and other exercises so I'll be in top shape when the time comes.
    Now I am 18 years old and I already have my EMT-B, I will be getting my Paramedic license (technically an "associates of applied sciences in EMS - Paramedic) at the end of this summer. I am already working as an EMT, albeit not in NY, and on paper it's a dreadful job but somehow I always come out enjoying my day. Now I can start thinking about getting into the FDNY. I did some research and found out that it's insanely hard to get into the department and that all the work I'm doing with EMS may not even affect whether or not I get chosen.
    Then I stumbled on the paramedic part of the FDNY website. I saw that they get first pick, and I'm excited. But I still wasn't sure if that was actually a large jump, so I come on here intending to ask... and see that everyone apparently hates EMS guys. FML.

    My basic question is, I have always wanted to be a firefighter in NY and I always intended to work as a medic while waiting and praying that my name would be called on the open lists. I think it's clear that I have been preparing for it physically and the whole thing of being a medic started because I wanted to be that much more prepared, not because I am a weaselly manipulator interested in back-dooring for the least possible work.
    So what's wrong with getting on the FDNY using the promotion opportunity rather than open enrollment if I'm going to be working as a medic while I wait anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong but, it really seems like you are just hating me so you can justify your own sitting around for 4 years when you, too, could have been doing the promotion thing. Or is it that just the EMT-B guys have the negative vibes but the Paramedics get at least a little bit of respect if we land the promotion, perhaps on par with the open enrollment students?

    Second question is much simpler, does the promotion thing actually increase my odds significantly? I would hate to get my hopes up for the promo just to find out that it doesn't actually improve my standing. Because I'll do whatever I freaking have to in order to get in the department and if that means being hated by the guys while I prove to them that I'm worthy of the job, so be it... I'm not going to take the chance of missing this opportunity and regretting it for my whole life, having to rethink everything, because of a slight distaste for EMS transfers.

    Thanks a lot for any answers guys, and if I came off as aggressive or ignorant, I apologize, but I just don't see the reasoning behind hating the EMS transfers. Especially one like me who obviously isn't a backdooring weasel. If I'm wrong, just tell me. And tell me why.
    Last edited by TylerRichardson; 11-18-2009 at 05:41 AM.

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    First and foremost,

    Never, ever, ever post your real name on the internet. ESPECIALLY when your posting about how you want to utilize a contreversial loophole to get into the most difficult FD in the country. What you want to do is frowned upon by many, the last thing you need is for everybody to know who you are. But it's too late now.


    I too have read a number of the posts involving the apparent negativity towards the FDNY EMS people bypassing the main list. From what i have read, many people eye it is as sneaking in the back door. I am not FDNY so i am not going to comment on the reasoning for this, but it most certainly tends to be an issue. At 18 years old, you have a LONG way to go before you even have your shot anyhow. As far as i know, you need to be 21 to go to the academy (Not 100% sure). Being as FDNY members do not need to be EMT's or Paramedics, only CFR trained, why even bother with your EMS route when you would be better off looking at another paid fire department.

    You said it yourself, you goal is be a NYC Firefighter. So start looking for a FD job and forget the EMS. It makes no difference how many medical certs and skills you have, if your responding with the FDNY as a firefighter, you are only going to be allowed to do the basic size up and care till EMS arrives. Thats all they expect from you and that is all they are equipped to handle anyhow. You would be MUCH better off learning firefighting skills that could make your time in the academy easier.

    At your age, another option is the military. You could join the Navy right now on a 2 or 3 year enlistment and learn a wealth on info on shipboard firefighting and damage control as well as a great physical training program. Ask to go in as a Damage Control Technician. You will learn more skills, make your resume look great, serve your conntry and get the ultra valuable Veteran status on your FDNY application. Even a brief stint in the military would be MUCH more valuable to your career goals then having a dozen EMT certs on a job that does not require them. You would have a definate edge at the academy with a recent military enlistment to give you discipline and strength and valuable firefighting training you can apply at the academy and your job.

    I understand your dream. I grew up in NY about 20 minutes from the Bronx. I went to school with a kid who's father was an FDNY Firefighter. To this day i still remember when i was in like 3rd grade and he came in for his sons show and tell wearing his bunker gear. That guy was our hero for years. I have an enormous amount of respect for anybody who chooses the military or civil service jobs with the goal of helping others. Your goal is the same as many. And if you stay focused, you will get it. But you need to be patient. It may take you 10 years. But your 18. You have PLENTY of time. Unless the FIT 5 really takes off, the FDNY will still be around (Kidding).

    A girl i know has a Fiancee who was an FDNY EMT and did the back door thing (with the job, not with her) and got onto FDNY just this past March i think. I have not spoke to him directly but she actually mentioned he has been taking some grief over it from people.

    Thre was a kid i used to hang around with in a town outside NYC called Yonkers when i was in high school and right after (i am 35 now). I lost touch with him over the years but just last week i bumped into him online. I head heard from other freinds that he was NYPD. Long story short, i got his number and called him to catch up after 15 years. As it turns out, he WAS NYPD. He hired on NYPD in 97 and he had also taken the FDNY test. As it turns out, in 2004 he gets a letter from the FDNY saying he is accepted to the academy. He had literally forgot all about it. He jumped at the chance and switched over. I forget the Engine he was on, somewhere in Riverdale. In any event, i was shocked. So i asked how it was going and he says "Oh, i quit in 06', now i am a cop in a department in Westchester county" Apparently he had also taken a country police test and did so well he had his pick of departments. He chose the department in the town he lived. I was floored. I could not believe that he would quit a job that even he claimed to love and that people are trying desperatley to get. But when he said he was making the same as an FDNY LT, working 7 minutes from home as opposed to commuting over an hour, i understood, i think. In any event, i have plans in the next few weeks to head down to NY, smack him around, buy him some drinks and hear some stories. But that just blew my mind.

    The point is, be prepared to wait years and don't get discouraged. Stay in shape and keep getting hands on expierience doing the things that will help your goal of being a FF.

  3. #3
    FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Default

    Rather then try to pose an argument in this stalemate I'm just going to try and point out some facts:

    -The next Open Competitive Exam for Firefighter is projected for 2011.
    -FDNY EMS isn't hiring paramedics. When they hire medics they will probably have a build up of people waiting to get on from both civil service lists, EMT promotion lists, and open application (by phone).
    -You need to establish civil service status with EMS for I think* a minimum of 1 year (might be 2). So basically you wont make it in time to take the 2011 promo exam that will come out with the open competitive. If you manage to get hired soon after you could make the promo exam 2 years later. That is 2 years of hiring off the open competitive list.
    -There is no scheduled or projected civil service Paramedic exam (you could end up waiting longer).
    -In this era of hiring with the mayor and the economy if you add up all the waiting periods, they come up to about the same. In other words, if you move into the city for the +5 and score near perfect on the next open competitive exam, it will probably make no difference.

    Do what makes you happy. You said you felt your situation was different and warranted a post. What was different in your post? You feel you're going to get more respect cause you're a medic promo and not an EMT promo? Not many guys will care (or even know for that matter) the difference between the two. Everything you posted was almost verbatim all the other posts. "I just don't get it... You put up with EMS you deserve it... If I'm doing everything I can and other people aren't how is that MY fault..." etc. And you posted with your (presumably) real name? Do your research and do what makes you happy.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,702

    Default

    TylerRichardson, simple question. Why would you think that you (as an EMS person) should get preference over someone that deserves the job more, simply because you went the EMS route?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    TylerRichardson, simple question. Why would you think that you (as an EMS person) should get preference over someone that deserves the job more, simply because you went the EMS route?
    Why is it assumed in your argument that somebody else deserves the job more?

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,702

    Default

    The assumption is simple. If a guy gets 100 on the test, passed the psych, gets 100 on the physical test and then gets 5 residency and 5 veteran, an EMT transferring in (through the back door) gets the job before that person.

    Even though that EMT did NOT do the above stuff as well.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    327

    Default

    You assume that the guy in the open test does all those things and then in the same breath you assume that the EMT does not. Your argument is flawed.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    nyckftbl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On a Hill, overlooking George's Kingdom
    Posts
    2,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515 View Post
    You assume that the guy in the open test does all those things and then in the same breath you assume that the EMT does not. Your argument is flawed.
    its not an assumption, its fact.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying, but you can't address the OP individually and then make a blanket statement that. You are assuming that there is someone who deserves the job more just because he is promoting from EMS. Let's assume that he gets 100% on the test...now, who deserves the job more?

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    nyckftbl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On a Hill, overlooking George's Kingdom
    Posts
    2,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying, but you can't address the OP individually and then make a blanket statement that. You are assuming that there is someone who deserves the job more just because he is promoting from EMS. Let's assume that he gets 100% on the test...now, who deserves the job more?
    neither. .



    but Im still not "assuming" anything.....someone who fails 2 events on a physical and almost fails a 4th grade written exam doesnt deserve to be checking parking meters, let alone being a fireman.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default

    @Everyone: actually, no, Tyler Richardson is not my real name. I took Tyler Durden's first name (from the book/movie fight club) and my 2nd grade best friend's last name. I didn't want to use my real name and I've never been very clever with that type of thing so that's why I did that.

    @WD6956
    Thanks a lot for your response. I want to make it clear that I am not getting the medical certs for resume type experience, but rather for personal experience and because I have to make a living between now and FDNY somehow. But nonetheless you made a lot of valid points and I'm definitely going to consider some new options now, particularly the Navy option. That solves the problem of experience, gives me money, and looks better on a resume. I also enjoyed your stories, even for the pay and stuff I couldn't imagine getting into the FD and then actually choosing to leave it. But I suppose at my age certain goals are less prevalent. I still couldn't see actually giving up on the FD... I lived in NYC for 10 years, but recently had to leave for financial reasons (my dad always said that when I turned 18 I would have a month to find a new place... well, I turned 18 and I simply couldn't afford NY. So I moved to Jersey City where some relatives gave me a place to stay while I found a job.). I absolutely can't wait until I can move back. Even though I'm only 45 minutes away, it's just not even close to the same.

    @FLA1786
    I wasn't aware that the wait for city paramedic was that long, since it's not usually a career choice for most people (they work for a few years while finding something else to do) I thought there would be more open spots. This might change things for me, especially after some of the options WD6956 brought up. And as for why paramedics would get the respect of open enrollment guys? Well, since it is harder to become a medic I thought it would show that I wasn't just looking for the quick route, but I now see that it's the principle of it rather than the logistics. I thought the firefighters were angry that somebody could take a couple week long course and then transfer in, not that the firefighters were angry about the actual transfering regardless of how much work they did to get it. In any case I hold my position that if people dislike the system, they should hold it against the people that run the system - not the people like me that just see a more sure route and think to utilize it. I would have been completely unaware of the negative stigma attached to this route if I hadn't looked it up, and that's frustrating.
    Anyway, thanks for the response. Again, I have some things to think over now.

    @Bones42
    That's a fallacy and you know it. I never explicitly or implicitly said that EMS guys are somehow inherently better than the open competitive guys, because I don't believe that at all. That's what the CITY is saying with their current system. My point of contention is that I DIDN'T COME UP WITH THE CURRENT SYSTEM and thus, if I see that EMS offers a more guaranteed approach and decide to utilize it to further my goals, you can't say that I have some false sense of pride burrowed deep in my EMS soul. That's ridiculous, and makes no sense whatsoever. It's not like I'm getting a boost for being the son of a politician - anyone could use the EMS transfer if they wanted, thus it's not unfair for me to use it. Perhaps unfair of the system to set it up that way. But that brings us to the next point; you can't realistically pin all your negative thoughts of the SYSTEM on to me, someone that is not part of the system. By your rationale you can't reasonably say that someone with the plus five in residential and plus five for veteran but got five points less on the written than someone without those bonuses deserves the job more, yet they would indeed get it. By your logic, a veteran living in the city is also "backdooring it". In case i didn't phrase it well in a sentence, which is common for me, I'll write it out as the math:
    Veteran with residency gets a
    95 on the test
    5 points for veteran
    5 points for resident
    105 total

    Someone who is not a veteran and who lives outside NY gets a
    100 on the test
    100 total.

    So even though Person 2 did better, he still doesn't get the job. Do you blame it on Person 1? No, you blame it on the system. Same thing here.

    Not to mention, like someone else already said - you're assuming I won't do well on either test. If someone like, say, me, gets 100 on both tests plus has experience on medical calls already, and put in the time working as a medic rather than a civilian job for two years (which some might compare to the military veteran bonus, albeit less so I'll admit) because he wouldn't stand for any job other than with the FDNY should he not be chosen over the person that gets 100 on the test and already has a job doing whatever else?

    You can't have it both ways, you're essentially arguing against yourself with one point or another.

    In any case, I'm done arguing, you can have the last word if you want. Everyone else, thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by TylerRichardson; 11-19-2009 at 04:18 AM.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,702

    Default

    Interesting how you say to blame the system, but it's that system that you are taking advantage of.

    You could simply be an EMT in the city and not take the back door approach. You can still go through the process just like every other candidate.

    Then, there is no ill-will towards you and you are taking the same chances and making the same effort that all the rest of the candidates are.

    So what's wrong with getting on the FDNY using the promotion opportunity rather than open enrollment if I'm going to be working as a medic while I wait anyway?
    That was your question. It was answered. You may or may not like the answers. But you asked.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    47

    Default

    just because you can take a test and pass it with 100% does not mean you should be firefighter. Doing that lateral, back door EMS. there should be nothing wrong with that.

    say someone off the street comes in with no certs, live in the area, was in the service. get a 100% with 5% living in the area, 5% for serving. On the waiting list for two years, not doing anything but waiting, but should be going back in fire or ems school to get certs.

    let just go with me. I move to the area, have no service background. i get 77% on all of it. But for the last 5years i have been in school, i have medic, level 2 firefighter, hazmat tech, rescue tech, 40 other cards. and say I use the back door. I think i should be able to and no one should have a problem with it. I would not have a problem with someone that had more certs got in front of me. even those i waited 2 years and he got in to job in 90days.

    If you have more certs than person in front of you, you should be able to just in front of them.
    that test score should only be uses if its a tie between two people with the same certs or whatever

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,702

    Default

    Except the FDNY does not care about certs from anywhere other than FDNY.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ETmedic252 View Post
    I would not have a problem with someone that had more certs got in front of me. even those i waited 2 years and he got in to job in 90days.

    If you have more certs than person in front of you, you should be able to just in front of them.
    that test score should only be uses if its a tie between two people with the same certs or whatever
    Look at it this way. The Department can and does hire people with NO certs. They will train you on everything you will ever need to know. Except common sense.

    Does someone with alot of fire/resuce type certs look good on paper? Sure. Does having alot of fire/resuce certs mean you are or will be a better firefighter then someone who currently has ZERO certs? NO. Not at all. And that is the issue.

    I know plenty of people with books full of certs and yet i would not trust them alone with the simplest task. And i know new guys who are far more smart then guys with 10 years on the job. So no, i personally do not think if you have more certs then someone else you should jump ahead on the list. At the end of the day, some certs are no more useful the paper they are printed on. Who gives a rats behind about your ALS cert when the department you are applying for has ZERO ALS equipped trucks? What good is your skill to them now? I have a buddy with a ton of dive cert's including underwater cave resuce. But if i was in charge of hiring, i would not really be too concerned with certs that have nothing to do with the job the person is applying for.

    All those certs might help for smaller departments where there is not the same amount of applicants.

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    47

    Default

    yeah i understand you know how it is, it just sucks all the way around it. seem like no one is hiring lol

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ETmedic252 View Post
    yeah i understand you know how it is, it just sucks all the way around it. seem like no one is hiring lol
    Just apply to those that are hiring in places that you want to work. Stay in shape, do every practice test you can get your hands on, and with your prior experiance and your EMT-P you will get hired on sooner than you think somewhere. FDNY might just take a while, but you have more than enough time in life to at least try out the Civil Service Exam route before going the EMS promo route.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    47

    Default

    wd656 so i guessing you have no certs than. wright?

    Hands down, I would chose someone with alot of trainning over someone with out it. knowing that you have to go Departments fire school again. but, coming in with those certs will help you pick up stuff you miss the first time, also making you better the second time!


    "I know plenty of people with books full of certs and yet i would not trust them alone with the simplest task. And i know new guys who are far more smart then guys with 10 years on the job." quote from WD6956

    I know alot people that have no certs, that got on. Also, there is no way in hell i would go in a fire with. some with 10 years on, knows more than someone who is new by far!
    Last edited by ETmedic252; 11-19-2009 at 10:41 PM.

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ETmedic252 View Post
    wd656 so i guessing you have no certs than. wright?

    Hands down i would chose someone with alot of trainning over someone with out and it should be that way. You know person can pass the stuff, he know his stuff. Plus i know you have to go threw the depts fire school again, but coming in with those certs will help you pick up stuff you miss the first time, also making you better the second time!


    "I know plenty of people with books full of certs and yet i would not trust them alone with the simplest task. And i know new guys who are far more smart then guys with 10 years on the job." quot from WD6956

    i know alot people that have no certs, that got on. that, there is no way in hell i would go in a fire with. some with 10 years know more than some who is new by far!
    For some departments you are correct. If I had a department with say 50 guys on the payroll, there is no way we could reasonably have our own academy for new hires. We would HAVE to hire folks with the pre-requ certifications and experience. In a smaller department everyone gets to know who is good at what and they have the ability to let each other do their thing to get the job done, at the same time, but if things get out of hand they do not have as many resources to call for immediate back up.

    FDNY on the other hand has over ten thousand guys(and a hand full of girls) working. Because there is going to be so much shifting around of staff, there is little chance that you are going to have the same guys working every incident together every time. In fact, I have heard one Bronx Lt. tell me over a beer that half the time he does not know half the guys on the scene with him. So they need to be sure everyone is trained to the same standard and knows exactly what their roll is on the scene. Since everyone will need to go through and pass the same exact academy, they do not have the need for folks to have any prior firefighting experience, they just need to prove that they have the aptitude and fitness to do the work and training expected in the academy.

    Sort of like the Marines, we could get a new guy two days before going into combat, we did not know him well, but we knew he had survived Boot Camp and his MOS school and had been trained to a basic standard that we knew we could hold him too, should he do better than the high standard, awesome, but we always knew he would do at least very well.

    No FDNY Firefighter that I have met face to face has had a problem with the FDNY-EMS promo guys since they have all been through the same academy as everyone else. But you can see that some on here do have a problem with it. I see it as just another path to take to a goal. You know there are some guys that will take the traditional route just as something to do, they are natural test takers and will get on the job with little problem and minimal effort, be bored or broke after two-three years on the job and quit. There will be others that go the EMS route because they are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier and will squeak onto The Rock, work their hearts out and gain the title FDNY Firefighter just like everyone else who gets through in their class and once out on the job will work hard and no one will ever care how they got on the job. The guy who quits afte a couple of years is screwing over other guys that took the test just as much or more than the guy who went the EMS route with the lower scores.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 11-19-2009 at 04:03 PM.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ETmedic252 View Post
    wd656 so i guessing you have no certs than. wright?

    Hands down i would chose someone with alot of trainning over someone with out and it should be that way. Plus i know you have to go threw the depts fire school again, but coming in with those certs will help you pick up stuff you miss the first time, also making you better the second time!


    i know alot people that have no certs, that got on. that, there is no way in hell i would go in a fire with. some with 10 years know more than some who is new by far!

    Here is a cert you should look into, Spell Check!. Seriously, while i can work my way through and figure out what it is your trying to say, some people are going to give up and dismiss your posts because of the sheer number of spelling mistakes on even simple words. I am not trying to be mean, i am just trying to help. I sometimes type in a rush and make mistakes, but wow.

    That aside, as has been mentioned, in the case of FDNY, all those certs are not needed to get hired. And as for everywhere else, you need to understand that just having a cert in something does not automatically mean that person is any sort of expert in it. Nor does it mean that the person is (or will be) a great Firefighter. Sure, having a dozen certs would be an indication someone is motivated. But being motivated and having great common sense do not go hand in hand. I can take a class in high angle rescue then never practice it or touch a rope ever again. What good is that cert now? Many certs simple mean you took a class then passed the tests. They are by no means any sort of proof you are great at whatever that field is. I got a NAUI SCUBA cert about 20 years ago. Have not been SCUBA diving in about 15 years. So i don't claim to be a SCUBA diver despite the fact i had that cert.

    How about this scenario. You are looking to hire a Firefighter for your medium sized suburban town in New England. You have no heavy industry, no ocean, no mountains, no caves and the tallest buildings you cover are 5 stories. Your FD does not do ANY EMS calls. You have a separate Ambulance corps for that. Here are your two candidates.

    Both are 30 years old and can easily pass the physical.

    Candidate 1 has 10 years with the FDNY in a busy Truck Company and has all the required Certs FDNY required and nothing more. Perfect record.

    Candidate 2 has 10 years in a volunteer fire company in a small town that sees little action. A handful of small fires a year. BUT he has a ton of EMS certs, high angle rescue, open water rescue, etc.

    Candidate 1 may have less certs, but he has FAR more hands on experience in a far more demanding department.
    Candidate 2 has lots of certs, but has had little chance to use them and most of the certs he has would never be used in your department.

    Who in your eyes could bring more to your department?

    It's just how i look at things. If you see things differently, that is fine.

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Every Fire Department in the Nation is involved in EMS some way. Therefore those who choose to get EMS training and experience prior to getting the job can help in that aspect. Until they completely separate the two entities, I say go with your hearts desire, especially if it will help your career.

    Now with that said; you already see what you'll have to deal with if you go that route. It is up to you to prove yourself, and prove that you can do the job and are well deserving.

    I wonder, how much heat would an unemployed vet living in the city get if he scored 90 on the test?

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brnsknFF View Post
    Every Fire Department in the Nation is involved in EMS some way. Therefore those who choose to get EMS training and experience prior to getting the job can help in that aspect.
    Yes, but if a departments guidelines are that everyone has to have the training anyhow and includes it in thier academy, you can see why to some departments do not really care about those certs.

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    Here is a cert you should look into, Spell Check!. Seriously, while i can work my way through and figure out what it is your trying to say, some people are going to give up and dismiss your posts because of the sheer number of spelling mistakes on even simple words. I am not trying to be mean, i am just trying to help. I sometimes type in a rush and make mistakes, but wow.
    I'm not a big fan of forum spelling police but, DAMN, ETmedic252 you really come off as an illiterate. Not bashing you but you must understand that your posts will be viewed more on their errors than their content. Take it for what it's worth and slow down and re-read before you hit "submit reply".

    As for the threads subject, it's been hashed out here and there enough. Statements like...:

    No FDNY Firefighter that I have met face to face has had a problem with the FDNY-EMS promo guys since they have all been through the same academy as everyone else.
    ... are bull$hit. Anyone who makes that statement has not met too many FFs face to face. The EMS promo circumvents the merit system, plain and simple. If you think you can do that and be accepted by the 99% of the job who took the hard road, you're dead wrong.

    This is a job where every man and woman is judged from their first day until the day they die. If your first day is sneaking in the job, it will follow you forever. You don't like that, don't do that.

    Now, somebody put this thread to sleep with the thousand other threads started by those who think they can sneak in un-noticed.

  24. #24
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalmB4Storm View Post



    ... are bull$hit. Anyone who makes that statement has not met too many FFs face to face. The EMS promo circumvents the merit system, plain and simple. If you think you can do that and be accepted by the 99% of the job who took the hard road, you're dead wrong.

    This is a job where every man and woman is judged from their first day until the day they die. If your first day is sneaking in the job, it will follow you forever. You don't like that, don't do that.
    How is taking a day off of work to take a test the hard road compaired to taking a a crappy job for a minimum of two years? I have talked to real life guys, these real life guys had no problems and they have been second, third, or more generation FDNY.... If you hold a grudge sorry, won't ever be my problem since even if I wanted to be FDNY, I am a few years past due to test.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  25. #25
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post



    There will be others that go the EMS route because they are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier and will squeak onto The Rock, work their hearts out and gain the title FDNY Firefighter just like everyone else who gets through in their class and once out on the job will work hard and no one will ever care how they got on the job. The guy who quits afte a couple of years is screwing over other guys that took the test just as much or more than the guy who went the EMS route with the lower scores.
    If you can pass your emt-b and paramedic and be nationally registered you can't be that dumb. Especially since paramedic programs are usually an associates. I'm not saying civil service exams are cake either but, if they can pass their EMS Certs they should be able to study and be just as competitive taking the normal firefighter entrance test. Second thing if paramedic isn't a requirement, why even go through all that trouble? that's alot of money to be throwing away. Third at the beginning of this thread this person did not seem that excited about EMS work. How is he going to like any fire department at all when most statistics with runs in any department is usually a 75%-80% ratio of medical calls.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. EMS promo to fire age requirement?
    By amfal01 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-27-2009, 04:39 AM
  2. PXT Promo Video
    By flexteamboss in forum Specialized Rescue
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 12:17 PM
  3. Promo Products
    By capt4nocfa in forum Fire Prevention and Life Safety
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2007, 05:02 PM
  4. Help - Promo Policy
    By dtruelove in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-06-2006, 10:19 AM
  5. Great Fire promo video...See it here, now!
    By CAFFBOU in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2002, 02:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register