Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Financial Challenge - Cut Cost

Government agencies tend to fall into the trap of we have always done it this way and it works. They tend to have the notion that all they have to do is raise taxes to support their needs.

On the flip side, the taxpayer is always complaining about the high taxes and the burden the government puts on them.

In these Forums I have noticed guys who believe that there is an endless supply of money and that there should always be 56 guys on a truck and a truck on every corner.

My challenge for the guys on this forum is to come up with ways to cut cost and still provide the same service. So have it fellas, what are your suggestion for cutting cost in the Fire Department and improving efficiency? Treat this like your typical brain storming session.

Forum Member

One way would be to cut wasteful spending, i.e.; turning off electrical devices that are not being used; turning the heat down to 70 degrees instead of 80 degrees; limit the use of fuel by making sure that errands are ran before you come to work and improve energy efficiency by winterizing the station.

However, some things are impossible. There will never be a truck on every corner and staffing will always be an issue. You get used to several people on a truck and you get used to those hands being there. If you put 8 on a truck, folks will get used to it and need more.

One way is to fire all consultants working for the government.

This will reduce the amount of waste as most consultants really just goof off and surf the internet posting on message boards and such.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

let me guess, Scarecrow is a consultant?

Forum Member

you are a massive tool bag

eliminate the recruitment budget for the FD. we already have 10 times more applicants than positions, we dont need to spend money printing up a million fliers, renting billboards/bus ads, and all the other crap.
    Last edited by nameless; 11-18-2009 at 04:31 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post

This will reduce the amount of waste as most consultants really just goof off and surf the internet posting on message boards and such.

Oh he will have reasons why he is so great and how the government would shut down without him.

Scarecow you need to get a clue.

Forum Member

Those glass doors on the front of many fire stations could probably be replaced with something more energy efficient.

MembersZone Subscriber

Screw cutting costs, I say we extend the fire scene to a 1 mile square block around the fire, then charge people $5 a head to come closer and watch us be awesome. That will cover the cost of expanding the FD and we will have some money left over to buy tight shorts for the PD.

People will pay big bucks to watch us be sexy and do our thing.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

we'll move to 8 hour shifts, and then rent the bunkrooms out to boarders. We'll also charge them to eat with us. The firehouses will actually start turning a profit.

In northern states, we'll put plows on the front of the truck and we'll replace the highway dept. We'll patrol our neighborhoods and clear the streets of snow all at the same time.

We'll get rid of our old rescue, and buy a new one with a walk in body. We'll keep the crew cab, but use the walk in body as a paddy wagon. That way we can transport prisoners in between fires.

We'll go back to station wagons for one of the cheif's buggys, but use a hearse. The cheif can run funeral duty during the day to make money. We'll even have the other cheifs run traffic duty. They'll keep their own buggy's and use the opticom to hold the traffic lights so the procession can make its way through.

We'll be the fire rescue housing prisoner highway mortuary department
    Last edited by nameless; 11-18-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Screw cutting costs, I say we extend the fire scene to a 1 mile square block around the fire, then charge people $5 a head to come closer and watch us be awesome. That will cover the cost of expanding the FD and we will have some money left over to buy tight shorts for the PD.

People will pay big bucks to watch us be sexy and do our thing.
    LMAO!! That is funny! Sadly, we have enough rubber neckers here to work with this. Except that there is no one sexy on my deparment.

My challenge for the guys on this forum is to come up with ways to cut cost and still provide the same service.
    Our challenge for you is to shut the **** up for just one day.

The answer to your question,you tool,is quite SIMPLE(like the asker). Simply put:..... YOU CAN'T. Cut your budget,you cut service;cut and dried,DIRT SIMPLE. It takes X amount of stations,apparatus and manpower to protect X amount of citizens and property. You cut anywhere and you cut service levels. YES it REALLY is that simple. Our budget is at the lowest level it can be and still provide the consistant level of service that we do now, which is exceptional for the dollars spent. T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    you are a massive tool bag

Why are you looking at my tool bag?

Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Maybe he wants a banana and same tangarines?

Just kidding before the fall out comes.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post

I agree very much with this statement.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Looking at my Department, sure, cuts could be made.

We could cut the $1500 we spend on Fire Prevention, after all, without all that wasteful spending on prevention...we'll have a few more fires and possibly injuries, but we'll save the $1500.

Turnout gear really doesn't need to be replaced when it's hitting 15 years of age....it still does it's job.

No reason to replace an engine after 20 years, that would only free up half my budget as that is being spent on repairs to outdated/outlived equipment.

oh wait, my budget was cut. Operating budget went from $74k to $40k.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Looking at my Department, sure, cuts could be made.

We could cut the $1500 we spend on Fire Prevention, after all, without all that wasteful spending on prevention...we'll have a few more fires and possibly injuries, but we'll save the $1500.

Turnout gear really doesn't need to be replaced when it's hitting 15 years of age....it still does it's job.

No reason to replace an engine after 20 years, that would only free up half my budget as that is being spent on repairs to outdated/outlived equipment.

oh wait, my budget was cut. Operating budget went from $74k to $40k.
    But at least you were consulted and your opinion was valued.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

I can see little places to cut costs, but not that many big things.

The little things would be actually taking out the trash less. The rookie takes out the trash from all cans everyday even if there is just one Coke can in the bag. Just take out the trash when it is full, or carry your trash to a central trash can. There you save a box of trash bags a year for a grand total savings of $4.99 a year. Wash the BRT when it is dirty, not every day/shift, there you save $25 in ZipWax Car Wash and water a year.

Only big savings I can see is replace the chief buggies less often. The big guy gets a new ride every 18 months, no matter the milage or condition of said vehicle. The battalion Chiefs put wear and tear running around to incident scenes all over, the Deprtment Chief does not. So there you can save $18-30K a year.

I have not seen a department yet, that does not run their engines a bit more than needed, however that is not going to have nearly the savings as some think.

Personnel is really the only large place for cost savings, and we all know it is dangerous on too many levels to be cutting positions on the fireline.

In conclusion, ScareCrow should just STFU.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    The answer to your question,you tool,is quite SIMPLE(like the asker). Simply put:..... YOU CAN'T. Cut your budget,you cut service;cut and dried,DIRT SIMPLE. It takes X amount of stations,apparatus and manpower to protect X amount of citizens and property. You cut anywhere and you cut service levels. YES it REALLY is that simple. Our budget is at the lowest level it can be and still provide the consistant level of service that we do now, which is exceptional for the dollars spent. T.C.
    I agree with this, any cut will lead to a reduction in service. Most FDs right now are understaffed right now or at the bottom of what can be considered adequate staffing.

We, the willing, facing the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much for so long with so little that the mutts expect us to do everything with nothing.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information