Forum Member

Default fire standards question

where in fl am i able to take the standards to get certed that doesnt involve little to no heights. i have a fear of heights. any suggestions.

Forum Member

uhh.. somewhere online..
    -__-

lol, just face your fear

Forum Member

lol i wish i tryed at a local fire acadamy and i couldent do it

Forum Member

Not to sound mean but I think maybe you should look into another profession. I wouldn't want a firefighter to attempt to rescue me from a roof who is scared of heights.

Forum Member

you can't take standards online. part of my class was climbing to the top of the ladder on a ladder truck (75' I think it was) clipping in with a ladder belt and leaning back with your arms extended. I think climbing a ladder truck is one of the state requirements during the academy.

if you are afraid of heights, this profession is not for you. I climbed a 105' ladder and had to lean back to pass my standards. We had a couple yelling and screaming, but everyone managed. You may also have to repel from 30 to 40 ft. They make ladder trucks for a reason!

Forum Member

Just wondering do you want to be a firefighter? you will have to climb ladders its part of the job, it seems odd that you want to be certified/firefighter, but don't want to climb because of heights, I don't know of any department or academy that will let you skip that part.

smalizia1 "i couldn't do it" that statement will not fly in the fire service, your partners life could be in your hands and saying "i couldn't do it,".........well you career will be short. If you have that mentality this is not your gig.

Face your fear, nothing ventured, nothing gained, besides 20 years from now you don't want to look back and say I wish I did it.....Regret is worse than fear or a broken bone!!!

Forum Member

ok so im not an idiot, i know this proff u have to climb ladders and such and im ok with that. the acadmy i was at had a ladder truck that was 110 feet in the air basically straight up. i dont know why i couldent bring myself to do it but i didnt. i do thanks you all for the critisim and advice you have all shared. any suggestion on how to work on my fear?

Forum Member

9actually i have no problem repeling off the tower, ive done it b4,when i was a explore

MembersZone Subscriber

Only way to work on it is to face your fear.

Forum Member

There are a lot of things I didn't like, but when someone's life is on the line you will be amazed at what you can overcome in a hurry.

I hope.

Forum Member

I hope I didn't come off as saying your an idiot, I don't think that at all, your first post just read that "doesn't involve little to no heights" well that to me says that your looking for the easy way out.

Where did you go for the academy and are you still there? I guess my advise is you have to ask your self do you really want this, and really think hard about it, if you've repelled than you've won half the battle with heights. When you go up to the ladder truck focus on the reward and make that ladder truck your B!TCH!!! Seriously you have to have I'm a bad azz attitude to conquer fears. Stay focused on each rung and don't look down, or look down and be the bad azz that you can be!!!!

The Fire College offers an Aerial class with a ladder truck to give you some practice.

Thread Information