Forum Member

Default Truck ID vs Personal ID

Our Dept currently uses personal ID#'s on all radio traffic. It seems the truck or unit # would be less confusing. Any ideas?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dacowfd View Post
    Our Dept currently uses personal ID#'s on all radio traffic. It seems the truck or unit # would be less confusing. Any ideas?
    Nope never heard this one. Every department that I know of, members use the truck ID and riding position as their radio identifier I.E. "Engine 11" for the officer in charge, "Engine 11 nozzle" for the knob man, "Engine 11 backup" for the backup man...."Truck 2 roof"....."Truck 7 hook" etc etc etc.....
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

We respond to dispatch with unit numbers, on our ops channel we use last name.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1 View Post
    We respond to dispatch with unit numbers, on our ops channel we use last name.
    Using this method, how would the incident commander or whomever you were conversing with, know your assignment and area of operation?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

We use personal ID's for fireground ops.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Using this method, how would the incident commander or whomever you were conversing with, know your assignment and area of operation?
    ID tags with names are moved around the board based on assignment. That being said, we do use IC title designations on more complex incidents (attack 1, attack 2, Operations, Ventilation, etc.) We don't necessarily all arrive on an engine with a clear preplanned set of tasks.

It works for us, individual results may vary!

Forum Member

Departments are a little different here. Even though there is no "brotherhood" here, we are still close knit enough to know each other and our aptitudes.

We use truck #'s "with a crew of...." for dispatch and unit #'s on the fire ground. My department doesn't use names, but some of our mutual aid depts do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Generally we use vehicle designations much like FWD:

Engine Officer - "Engine 1"
    Engine Operator - "Engine 1 operator"
    Engine Hydrant person - "Hydrant"
    Engine Nozzle person - "Engine 1 portable"

Everyone has their own personal radio number as well.

Chief - 800
    ***'t Chief - 801
    Capt. - 803
    Capt. - 804
    Lt's - 805, 806, 807, 808
    FF's - 810-840

If an engine company is assigned a task on scene using the NIMS ICS terminology they would become "Division 1, Vent Group, Search Group, etc.
    Ex: "Command to Engine 1, you will be know as Division 1"

Maybe once in a while we might use a personal radio number for something if we are trying to look for one individual but its not very common.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

We use truck name and number (engine 1). We use a attack 1, search 1, and so forth. If IC wants a certain person they call their ID number. (i.e command to 1524). Everyone is tagged in on a command board on anything other than a med call and MVA's

MembersZone Subscriber

We are all volunteer and after we get the page and leave house in pov we use personal numbers. Once we get in the fire apparatus we use apparatus number plus how many on board. then at the scene if you are out of the apparatus we use personal numbers in your in the apparatus ( like tanker drivers) we use apparatus number. All apparatus numbers are 01-09 after the station number ( my depatrtment is station 1100) my pumper is 1106. Chiefs are station plus 10 asst chief are 11's ect. Stations them selves if are 00 serious.

MembersZone Subscriber

We're mid sized suburban department. Pretty much all the depts in the area use the unit type and number: Engine 12, Ladder 14, Ambulance 14, Grass, Water, etc. This is the way we are dispatched. The only exception is when a dispatcher needs to assure our paramedic runs with the ambulance (usually they ride the Engine), they'll say Ambulance 14 with Medic 14 for ALS. They usually just dispatch the Engine with the Ambulance, but if the Engine is Out Of Service and located with the In Service ambulance, then they'll dispatch that way.

The designation Medic is not a personal call sign, but just the medic assigned to that station for the shift. So Medic 14 will be a different person each shift.

If our Admin (Asst Chief, Chief, etc...) responds on something, they have their own numbers and use them, but they don't get dispatched. Usually they'll only respond if they happen to be in the area and say something like '1406 responding from a nearby intersection."

Forum Member

Officer's (they each assigned an individual ID #) So when a piece goes enroute the Officer says his/her ID #, i.e.-Engine 790 enroute with 201. One the rig is on the scene the Officer traditionally uses the ID # issued to them. If not then it is similar to the rest of you.
    Last edited by Weruj1; 11-19-2009 at 11:05 PM.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Columbia (SC) uses unit IDs, and in addition, assigns each firefighter on the rig a number based on seating. For example:

Engine 6:
    Officer: 6-1
    Engineer: 6-2
    Nozzle: 6-3
    Hydrant: 6-4

Accountability tags are left with the first-in Battalion, unless he isn't on scene, in which case they are left on the driver's seat of the first engine on scene, and he collects them. These tags are then moved around on a command board based on tactical assignments (Vent, Attack, RIT, etc.) and location. On-air accountability reports every fifteen minutes (roughly).

It works for us.

Early Adopter

Our engine companies use sort of a hybrid of individual and unit call signs. 510 is Engine 1's officer and 520 is Engine 2's officer. 511/521 is the engineer of each rig. 512/522 is the firefighter. Every once in a while there is a 513. Those days are rare. Heh.

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't issue radios to every member, so we use unit designators. Engine 71, Squad 7, etc. Some of the officers have been issued radios, they simply use their rank and station, ie Captain 7, Chief 7B, etc.

It would seem difficult to keep track of who's who if each individual had a number assigned.

makes good girls go bad

At FT Medic gig, we use our state Medic Cert # when we split (Eg, Medic 3247 {me} has one pt, Medic xxxx has the other).
    At PT Fire gig, Engine 2 Hook and Can, Engine 2 Nozzle, etc.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Ok, here goes:

Radios on all of our rigs are generally labelled with the eng/truck/sq/rescue # and position (nozzle, driver, hydrant, officer). Ex: E-11 Nozzle.

However, each radio has a specific electronic ID number attached to it. Each morning when the officer logs the crew log into our electronic journal system, those radio codes are entered for each specific person. Ex: E-11 Nozzle's radio has electronic ID number 710456. John Smith has radio 710456. Every time that radio is keyed, a notice is displayed at dispatch with the radio number, member name and apparatus.

When we communicate via radio, it is always the apparatus number we are assigned to and position we are in. Ex: Command from E-11 hydrant, water supply is secured.

Back In Black

We are supposed to use the task or IC position we are assigned. Typically it's "fire attack", "roof vent", "roof", etc.. If in doubt, we use last names.

The radios are MDC1200 Coded to their position in the apparatus. So if you can only key up your radio, they at least know what crew you are with. Dispatch, all mobile radios and officer radios have the displays.

Did I mention every seat has a portable?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Thread Information