Forum Member

Default NREMT/Florida EMT/Paramedic certs expiring

My NREMT is due to expire in March of 2010. From what I remember, we needed to have the NREMT before we could have our Florida EMT License. My Florida EMT and Paramedic licenses are due to expire in Dec. 2010. Can I just let my NREMT expire since I am not interested in working in another state? Or will I need to renew my NREMT again in order to renew my Florida EMT and Paramedic licences again. If anyone can inform me on this, I would greatly appreciate it. I am currently not working for any department and would like to keep my certs up in hopes of the economy getting better and landing a job.

mikesica

It is not necessary to maintain NREMT to hold either/or both FL EMT-B & EMT-P Licenses. The Florida EMT-B State Exam gives you with both NREMT & FL EMT-B Licenses after passing the exam. To work in Florida as in most states you need a state issued license requiring a state test typically all states will recognize NREMT and let you challenge their state test. I let my NREMT-B expire because I don't intend to leave the state. Hope that helps!

makes good girls go bad

Are you even practicing as an EMT or Paramedic?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by drod17 View Post
    Can I just let my NREMT expire since I am not interested in working in another state? Or will I need to renew my NREMT again in order to renew my Florida EMT and Paramedic licences again. If anyone can inform me on this, I would greatly appreciate it.
    While you don't need to keep your NREMT cert in order to keep your FLA certs, you should never let any cert you have lapse. Some depts pay extra for NREMT and you NEVER know what will happen or where yu may end up some day.

Quote Originally Posted by drod17 View Post
    I am currently not working for any department and would like to keep my certs up in hopes of the economy getting better and landing a job.
    If I were you I'd look into some type of work that will provide you with continuing ed. ERs, private ambos and some high end security jobs will pay for or provide credit hours.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    While you don't need to keep your NREMT cert in order to keep your FLA certs, you should never let any cert you have lapse. Some depts pay extra for NREMT and you NEVER know what will happen or where yu may end up some day.

If I were you I'd look into some type of work that will provide you with continuing ed. ERs, private ambos and some high end security jobs will pay for or provide credit hours.
    I work in the ER and I don't get any CEU's there to keep my National lic going. It stinks but I had let it expire and about a couple of months ago I was going to leave the state (florida) because nothing was happening. I was going to go to Georgia because they were hiring at least 100 firefighters at Johns Creek county.
    Can I actually receive ceu's from the ER?

Forum Member

Several years in a row I got my CEUs from an online service. It cost me some money but was worth it for me to get them done in the last month before I expired. I bought a subscription and got enough CEUs for 2 renewals. Now I get everything through my dept.
    ...at this time.

Thread Information