Default Parking garage apparatus

A new complex being built in our district will have 4 good size buildings with underground parking. The builder is to provide us with a small pumper for this, what are others using? Photo's and links to departments would be helpful. Thank you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Around here they use stairs and stand-pipes... I can't imagine a separate piece of apparatus JUST for parking garage fires...

MembersZone Subscriber

What will be the maximum overall height allowed? I would think this would be the way to determine what you can do before any other planning starts.

My question is - if the garages are underground, i.e. not open to fresh air like most above ground parking garages, I'm not sure if I'd want to be driving an apparatus into the space. You'd get much better suppression with sprinklers and standpipes, without the risk.

Is this the developer's way to get out of installing sprinklers?
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

I would have them install standpipes and sprinklers, but yes you do need a unit that can easily move around, such as a small quick attack rescue on an F-550 chassis with 250-300gallons of water and foam, maybe a Holmatro combi tool setup to pop a door open, couple of airpacks, and some hand tools, maybe even some 3" supply hose in case you need to lay a supply line from a hydrant or engine on the outside. Just a small unit that can handle your basic car fires and fender benders.
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

Forum Member

we just use the standpipes and high rise packs for parking garage fires. It wouldn't be worth the money for us to get a separate vehicle just for car fires in a parking garage.

MembersZone Subscriber

How do you drive and operate a pumper in an area full of smoke and heat? Why wouldnt you just assure your current hose beds are set up to make a long stretch and as others said, use the standpipes? Money would be better spent elsewhere.

MembersZone Subscriber

I can almost see justification for such a unit if the parking garage was above grade. But if you're underground, it sounds like a good way to get killed and/or wreck a new apparatus. To me this is no different than driving your engine through the overhead door of a burning warehouse building so you don't have to drag hose...

Verona, WI has such a unit. I believe a large facility was built with elevated parking garages in their jurisdiction. The unit was clearly made for the low clearance encountered in such a facility.

http://http://veronafire.com/engine4.htm

Look through the photos and you can see who gave it to them...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Smile

try firematic in new york they make a truck could a brat that will work

Forum Member

I know the Philadelphia Fire Department has a low-profile unit down at the Phila. International Airport that doubles as a ARFF quick-response ramp unit and as a parking garage unit, lemme see if I can dig up a pic.

I'm pretty sure the NY/NJ Port Authority have several for the plethora of parking garages that they operate.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Parking Garage Unit

Department in our area had one built years ago for the airport parking garages. Could not be over 7' (84") high or 7' (84") wide. Was a small fire fighting, 200# dry chemical and 60 gal pre-charged foam I think and a lot of medical gear. Small utility body on F-250 I think. More heart attacks of people walking to their cars hauling a lot of bags than anything.

Forum Member

One of our neighboring professional departments has a quick attack they use for that, but it wasn't an extra expense. They all ready had one on the fleet.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.ashevillenc.gov/uploadedF...cks%206-08.pdf

Squad 1 was designed as a first response/ garage truck. (I know the picture isn't that great, but it was the first truck that came to my mind.)

Forum Member

Hi All,

We have multiple office buildings with underground parking garages for their employees. I would not recommend utilizing any type of vehicle for a fire/situation in this type of structure, above ground or below ground. I say this from experience.

We had a single car fire in one these underground garages. Fully involved and 4 sprinkler heads activated. The sprinkler heads did their job and kept the fire in check and stopped it from spreading to other nearby vehicles and the building. But the smoke from the fire that was generated combined with the steam from the sprinkler heads flowing made it impossible to see your hand in front of your face. Thermal imaging cameras were used to locate the fire and to keep track of personnel.

The best solution is standpipe hose connections in the stairwells. If code requires standpipe connections in the garage itself, i would suggest a strobe light at the location so that with the fire alarm sounding you maybe able to locate the hose connection. Have the building owner provide you an easy method of utilizing the ventilation system to aid it the removal of smoke. Most underground garages have a makeup and exhaust air system.

But driving any type vehicle into a garage with a fire, car or otherwise, is asking for trouble.

Hope this helps.

Be Safe,

Captain Lou
    "GotFoam?"

Default Parking garage apparatus

Thanks for all your input, never intended to drive the truck in during fire. We want access to this area and to limited access areas above ground.

Forum Member

I saw (and i don't remember where) a company that had a "small" mini pumper build to fit the the low clearance. Had something like a 750 pump and two, maybe three hundred of water. 2 handlines and a booster reel. It doubled as a brush unit. They would take it down and attack wit hthat, while a "normal" engine would connect to the pipes, then if the mini needed more water they would connect to the pipes on the inside and use it as a hydrant.
    Never acutaly saw them do it, but they way he explained it, it sounded like it would work pretty well.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Default Parking Garage Truck

If you have your heart set on a truck, this may be a nice solution:

http://www.unruh-fire.com/inexpensive-brush-truck/

Forum Member

Here's what we use for above ground parking structures. Not sure if they would use it in underground parking structures or not.

It's a 1 ton Silverado Duramax with a 250gpm pump with a300g tank. They have eductors if they want or need to flow foam (A&B). They also carry 100' of 3" to hook up to a standpipe or an outside engine (if needed). 2 SCBA's are on board, if needed.

No need on commenting on the broken primer. It's the reason I was called out today, and was able to get pics of it.

FM1

EDIT: It was built by Danko with a waterous pump.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 11-21-2009 at 02:53 AM.
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

See this recent thread on parking garage fire tactics.
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109643 (Parking deck fires)
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

It you are going to get a separate vehicle for just fires in garages I would either go with a mini pumper with a 500 GPM PTO Pump & 250 gallon tank or a rescue body with a self contained 200 gallon cafs unit. Either way I would include some extraction equipment.

Forum Member

Here's an old parking garage vehicle from SanFran
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescue61 View Post
    Either way I would include some extraction equipment.
    Uh, why? It would seem this would be a fairly low use apparatus to start unless it became a multi-role apparatus. In either case how often is extrication an issue in parking garages? Not exactly high speed accidents occurring too often. Extrication tools are very expensive, maybe the money could be better spent elsewhere or just give your taxpayers a little break?

Forum Member

Wow! Never saw anything like it.

Forum Member

Just a combi-tool for a door pop.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescue61 View Post
    Just a combi-tool for a door pop.
    You must sell rescue tools in his area.

Intresting how many people have said that this vehicle would be ineffective and dangerous and others have vehicle ideas.

Standpipes is my vote.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

I am with the standpipe and sprinkler crowd on this.

+ Infinite water supply.
    + Increased reliability (less chance for mechanical failure).
    + Lower operational cost. No ongoing maintenance cost for FD (fuel, insurance, repairs).

- No shiny new truck for FD.

I'm pondering the financial motive of the parking garage builder: Is this a trade-off for installing automatic sprinkles and standpipes or code concessions?

C6

Thread Information