Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default in high school, want to be paramedic/SAR, need advice

I'm a senior in high school and I'm going to college next fall (2010). I previously wanted to go into law enforcement but don't think I will have the right opportunities to actually help people through active duty so my current career focus is Search and Rescue or paramedic/EMS.

Does a college degree matter for SAR/EMS? If so, what are some courses of study that would be helpful for this in college? I'm in Washington state and the colleges that I'm looking at don't have EMS or related as a major or minor option.

Thanks for the help!

W

Forum Member

A lot of colleges offer AAS's in Paramedicine here. Fire Science degrees are popular too.

Listen to your biology teacher now. Most of the human anatomy I use now, I learned in high school.

Do a Google search for the degrees you are interested in. They will provide you with an intended track.

Forum Member

if the college i'm going to doesn't offer either fire science or paramedicine, what else might be helpful? i'm hoping to go to western washington u, they have a physical education and health/kinesiology major that breaks down from there, would that even help? or should i just plan on doing emt training during college and major in whatever, getting any more education i need after college?

Forum Member

Hey Brother,
    Im also a senior in high school and have 6 credits til i get my assoc. degree in fire science. Im currently having the same problem of no colleges offering EMS.. I was wondering if you have gotten any other help from others on this issue?

Forum Member

There is no school that has an advanced degree in fire science that I am aware of, possibly because you donít need to have a B/A to be a good firefighter. You do need to be smart, but I would say common sense is the most important.

What I would suggest is to get your certificate in fire science and take all of the related classes. Then transfer to a four year school if that is what you need to do. That way you can either test while in school or even work as a firefighter paid on call or volunteer. I have talked to a number of people that were able to do this on their college campus which had a fire department they could work for/volunteer with. That way you would come out with a fire cert. a four year degree and some experience as a firefighter. Summer employment with a forestry fire department would also be great and they usually will tailor the season for people in school.

If you think about it if you can get your firefighter stuff and EMT then go to school it would be cheaper getting credits at a JC, and when you got done with the degree you would have had the opportunity to get a few seasons of experience under your belt. In other words you could present some department with ďThe whole packageĒ.

Good Luck, Capt Rob

Thread Information