Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FEPP surprise

Forum Member

Default FEPP surprise

We went yesterday and picked up a 10KW diesel generator the Forestry div of the MO Dept. of Conservation after being notified they were giving us one last week. They guy brought it up from the back, the freaking thing is BRAND NEW, still in the crate, less than 1 hour on the meter. Had a tool package, the manual, a 5# CO2 fire extinguisher, ground rods all paked on it. Will do single or 3 phase 208/240 volts.They told us they got a whole semi load from Ft Hood last week and have 2-3 more loads to get.

If you're not using this program you're missing out!

Forum Member

What else are they giving out?

Forum Member

We got a '98 deuce and a half about 8 months ago from our forest service. We put a 900 gallon tank on and a portable waterous pump. This machine will climb a tree. It will also be used to assist in those interface incidents in the winter where we cannot access due to steep grade roads that our engines cannot reach in heavy snowfall or ice. It may not be much to work with but maybe we can get it knocked down enough to get in and get someone out. This program is a tremendous asset to us and other depts in the state. We are in line for a pickup to put a slip on unit that we already have.

Forum Member

They had everything from ATV's to Semi's in the back lot, nozzles, SCBA's, hose, I'd have to check our wishlist to see what all they had available, I don't have it here at home.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfire1156 View Post
    We got a '98 deuce and a half about 8 months ago from our forest service. We put a 900 gallon tank on and a portable waterous pump. This machine will climb a tree. It will also be used to assist in those interface incidents in the winter where we cannot access due to steep grade roads that our engines cannot reach in heavy snowfall or ice. It may not be much to work with but maybe we can get it knocked down enough to get in and get someone out. This program is a tremendous asset to us and other depts in the state. We are in line for a pickup to put a slip on unit that we already have.

Our 2 brush trucks are pickups we got from the program.

Missouri also got 700 new in box SCBA recently. They were 2001 manufacturer, but most certainly usable.

The store atmosphere for First Responder gear and basic good from wildland pants to 16 foot long shovels (take the shovel off and use the handles to replace older pike pole handles) is tremendous. 5 gallon drums of 10-30 oil. Chains. Ladders. Fans. Trash cans. Sheets. (for wiping cloths, but we are
    outfitting bags with linen sets for the emergency sleep overs at the station,
    using those sheets, wool blankets, etc, almost all from conservation)

You grab a cart and make a list of what you get!

LOTS of medical first responder gear.

Osborn, you said those were 10k units?
    Last edited by LVFD301; 11-19-2009 at 11:42 PM.

Forum Member

Half of our dept is old GI Joe stuff. We picked up two 400kw generators with 5 hours each on them. Both tankers and both brush trucks are old military. The stuff is not ideal, nor NFPA, but it is free(plus freight). The FEPP loaner program has now ended and the DOD program now gives us a title for the trucks. Our local DNR forester is good and letting us know about any new things that show up.

Forum Member

We participate as well. Forestry has given us a tanker, brush truck, leaf blowers, chain saws, protective equipment, indian packs, rakes, etcetera.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Missouri also got 700 new in box SCBA recently.
    Osborn, you said those were 10k units?
    That is correct sir

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Missouri also got 700 new in box SCBA recently. They were 2001 manufacturer, but most certainly usable.
    I think you and I talked about this, but for those others out there, make sure you're careful on how you use those particular air packs. They are not specced for fire service. In particular, the mask straps aren't up to snuff (need the kevlar netting), as well as some other issues I can't remember off the top of my head that raised a red flag when I looked at them.

It probably wouldn't take a whole lot to change out the head net and some little things like that to make the usable, or even to use them as RIT packs or something. I'd just hate to see someone get in a situation where someone got hurt with one and they didn't know any better.

Forum Member

I may of asked this before, but can anyone tell me how to take advantage of this program. Does anyone from PA know what they have to offer. I have tried looking into it, but have gone through a bunch of websites and have found no concrete information. Sorry to bother anyone, but I needed to ask. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fightin23rd View Post
    I may of asked this before, but can anyone tell me how to take advantage of this program. Does anyone from PA know what they have to offer. I have tried looking into it, but have gone through a bunch of websites and have found no concrete information. Sorry to bother anyone, but I needed to ask. Thanks
    Have you put in a request here?

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/ffp/fedexcess.aspx

Have you contacted your local DCNR folks?

Another great resource is www.centralpafire.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fightin23rd View Post
    Federal Excess Property Coordinator
    Charles Choplick
    Rick Temple 717-362-9609
    (Located @ FFP Warehouse,
    2826 White Oak Road, Halifax, PA 17032)

Forum Member

I have not personally used this program from the website. Our department has for the last 20 plus years used vehicles obtained for us by our local DCNR representative. However, I did a little looking and found that the state contact for the programs are listed at this website:

http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/partners/f..._vfa_mgrs.html

And this is the website for the state of PA to request equipment:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...cess_form.aspx

If I find anything else, I will post it for you.

Kelly

Forum Member

I wished Alabama had someone who worked that hard to get surplus property to the fire departments.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranburne View Post
    I wished Alabama had someone who worked that hard to get surplus property to the fire departments.
    Roy Mott
    Alabama Forestry Commission
    513 Madison Avenue
    Montgomery, AL 36104
    (334) 240-9322
    MottR@forestry.alabama.gov
    Steve May
    Alabama Forestry Commission 513 Madison Avenue Montgomery, AL 36104
    (334) 240-9335
    Fax: (334) 240-9380
    stephen.may@forestry.alabama.g ov
    Steve May
    Alabama Forestry Commission
    513 Madison Avenue Montgomery, AL 36104
    (334) 240-9335
    Fax: (334) 240-9380
    stephen.may@forestry.alabama.g ov

Forum Member

I know who the people are that are in charge of the program in Alabama. The thing is it is not a priority on the list of things they do. They do not put the effort into getting the items screened for the fire departments in Alabama. Until last year Alabama was one of the few states who had not signed the papers to be a priority in the federal surplus program. It is very hard to get quality surplus brought into the state system for the fire departments.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Ranburne View Post
    This is why you do your own screening and making the calls to the bases to get what info that you need.If all is what you wanted or needed then call your DNR rep and give him the number to the item. It still makes them feel important since they are the only ones that can push this button even though
    you did the work.

I scored a full size 30k commercial gen set with only 40 hours and mounted on a heavy duty trailer. Thing still had the paint on the exhaust pipes. I also received a dodge V-10 4x4 dually which another dept needed worst them we did for a grass rig.
    Only problem I have is I wish it would be more universal across the board so we could get whatever We could justify.We can't get half of what LVFD301 had listed or can't compete with the Indian Bureau.Why the Fed's knock hole in the oil pan of 4 wheelers I will never understand. Still looking for a portable light set like what they use down on the borders

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

Haven't been able to pull a lot of this out of the TN guy (who ever it is this week). Would like to get my hands on one of those new gen sets though.

Every time I read about what you guys get through this program, it makes my blood boil to think of how we get nothing but the run around from our State Forrester!

Thread Information