Thread: SAFER Questions

Forum Member

Default SAFER Questions

How do you find the minimum staffing levels for volunteer depts? I know NFPA 1720 states it, but i read it and am still confused as to the number they are lookin for

MembersZone Subscriber

If you had 6 people who didn't have full-time jobs, families, vacations, hobbies, illnesses, and never left your jurisdiction--you could meet 1720. Now, in real life how many real people does it take to get that job done enough of the time?

The answer really depends on the department--what have your responses been in the past few years and how many additional folks will it take to get you from where you are to where you need to be?

We have 23 active right now, covering 24 sq miles--with enough members in the township (or close and flexible) to average about 6.5 minutes, even on the weekday afternoons. We've got a neighboring dept that really can't get more than about 3 members out on a weekday afternoon, with similar membership to ours. Totally different need for them.

Only taking a look at your own situation can answer the question--then you put together a plan to recruit to fill the weak spots, and you win a SAFER.

earl

Forum Member

I think I know the answer to this already, but if you are a small combination department, and you are applying for hiring of a full time position (split among two part time guys) do those guys have to be at the station during their work hours? I have looked through the PG and couldn't find anything that particularly addressed this topic other than the response times listed by NFPA. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Now that I'm done with three funerals and a wreck all within a month's time-frame and got caught up on my college classes, I've got some time to deal with this SAFER thing.

For you guys more familiar with SAFER, I've got a question for you. I'm looking at getting some amenities for a live-in program; couple of beds, TV, computer and work station (will help since these are going to be college kids), and maybe some chairs or something. Is that allowable items? To be honest, I'm way behind and need to read up on the PG still, but it's been a bit hectic.

I'm also looking at putting in for tuition, college and if it's acceptable, for things like the state's Summer Fire School (beyond NFPA 1001 and 1002 training) to go with the above. Surprisingly, that seems to be the most favorable thing we've come up with as a "rewards program" so far.

The guys all brought up getting uniforms or even starting an honor guard to instill some pride, but I haven't heard a lot of guys that have talked about being successful with that. I'm also trying to think of means to help our Explorer program, which has turned into our biggest recruitment tool. If anyone's got any ideas, I'm always willing to accept them!

Forum Member

Talking

Catch: We set up a scholarship program for responding members or their family members as a recruitment tool. It was named for a 30 year member of the department & former rescue chief that passed away.
    The funds for this were raised through donations from the community outside of our normal budget. We have given money out twice since starting it three years ago. Both awards went to a young member towards finishing their degree.
    Last year we asked for funding under safer and were awarded.

As far as furnishings for the station , that may be a grey area but may be worth a try.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 11-29-2009 at 09:31 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Catch: We set up a scholarship program for responding members or their family members as a recruitment tool. It was named for a 30 year member of the department & former rescue chief that passed away.
    The funds for this were raised through donations from the community outside of our normal budget. We have given money out twice since starting it three years ago. Both awards went to a young member towards fining their degree.
    Last year we asked for funding under safer and were awarded.

As far as furnishings for the station , that may be a grey area but may be worth a try.
    I was thinking about starting a scholarship foundation or something in honor of a former chief that passed away a couple of years ago to continue it, much like what yours sounds like. Have a fundraiser or two during the year and all that. I had never thought of including family members, but was definitely looking at current members and Explorers that are going to go on to college and still serve.

I was thinking the same on the furnishings, but thought I'd see if anyone might have some input or experience. I've heard of guys getting the TV's and video game consoles in the past, so I figured the furnishings might be worth a shot. I guess it never hurts to ask!

Forum Member

Catch ; sent you a PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Catch ; sent you a PM.
    Got it, thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    For you guys more familiar with SAFER, I've got a question for you. I'm looking at getting some amenities for a live-in program; couple of beds, TV, computer and work station (will help since these are going to be college kids), and maybe some chairs or something. Is that allowable items? To be honest, I'm way behind and need to read up on the PG still, but it's been a bit hectic.

I'm also looking at putting in for tuition, college and if it's acceptable, for things like the state's Summer Fire School (beyond NFPA 1001 and 1002 training) to go with the above. Surprisingly, that seems to be the most favorable thing we've come up with as a "rewards program" so far.
    We got the live in/lounge equipment, big screen tv, video game, grill, beds, etc. To be honest, its a flop, and I have been told no longer funded.

The biggest draw yet is the tuition reimbursement, and off duty coats (with our new engine embroidered on the back). People have loved those things. Actually had one guy get upset - real upset because his coat was not in yet!

MembersZone Subscriber

is it worth the effort to apply for a fitness program/ equipment through safer?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chief41 View Post
    is it worth the effort to apply for a fitness program/ equipment through safer?
    This would be an extreme long shot. Even under the AFG program this type of project has lower consideration. Under SAFER physicals are an eligible expense. Even though your proposed project is not specifcally listed as eligible or ineligble under the PG, IMHO they will not approve anything, but the physicals.

If this is the only project that you are looking for under R&R, it doesn't hurt to try....stranger things do happen. If it's part of a more comprehensive project, I would eliminate it so it doesn't bring down the overall project.

Thread Information