MembersZone Subscriber

Default fitness and wellness grants?

Does anyone know anything about the assistance to firefighter grants for fitness and wellness? I'm am responsible for my dept. fitness and wellness program and I talked to the grant writer for our city about a grant. She would not even attempt to write a grant, stating that we are not competitive. She said that volunteer dept and large cities are the most competitive. She also said that since that we have a lot of new equipment and no deaths that we are not competitive. My dept consist of about 110 firefighters with a city population of about 65,000. So is she just not wanting to write the grant or is she right? It seems every thing I try to do to improve things gets shot down with fitness/wellness.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Done fitness/wellness for many different sized departments in many different areas, with all different staffing types. Don't have to have someone as a LODD to prove need for any initiative, let alone health and wellness. Without knowing the full situation can't really judge whether or not she's bagging it because she doesn't want to or does know what she's talking about. Don't know the experience level she has with AFG, and if that's just reading the guidelines then that's not really experience. If she's written other ones and is not applying at all to AFG then it is because she doesn't want to. And if that's the case then that sounds like your taxpayers aren't getting their money's worth in paying her to be there and someone else needs to do that job. Grant writers should apply to every possible program for the most competitive project at the time for whoever they work for, regardless of whether or not they think they have a chance. Bulletproof it and send it in otherwise it definitely won't fund because unsubmitted apps never get funded.

And on a side note combination departments do have an advantage in health and wellness because it's required that the paid personnel get physicals to be hired but most of the time the volunteers don't have a chance because of a lack of funding. So the inequities in the people doing the same job are making that a competitive app situation. Would really need to know more to make a full determination, but again if the city isn't applying at all then that's just the wrong thing to do. If they're chasing other projects that are of a higher priority then it will just have to wait on the H&W projects.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for replying. The grant writer said she has written a lot of AFG grants and knows a lot about them. We have a lot of fitness equipment but I wanted to use it for yearly physicals and blood work. I don't know, I'll talk to my asst. Chief more and see if he can't get her to try since all they can do is day no to us.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for replying. The grant writer said she has written a lot of AFG grants and knows a lot about them. We have a lot of fitness equipment but I wanted to use it for yearly physicals and blood work. I don't know, I'll talk to my asst. Chief more and see if he can't get her to try since all they can do is say no to us.

Forum Member

We put in our SAFER grant app this year for physicals meeting the Nfpa standard along with several other items.
    All the other items were funded , the physicals were NOT.
    Don't know if this is an across the board decision , [should be part of the operating budget] or not.

MembersZone Subscriber

It makes no sense why everyone claims to be concerned about firefighter deaths but are not willing to spend money on what kills the most firefighters.

Forum Member

Build statistical data sets on firefighter health & safety for your department, region and state.

Basically, sell the need to her with evidence.

Isn't AFG giving preference to grants geared toward ff health and safety this year?

That is how we got approved for bunker gear.

Also, I think trucks are a low priority?

Anyone know if that is the case? Health & Safety vs. trucks?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Truck apps don't compete with Health and Wellness apps, the money is split per the program. Vehicles get 25% of the dough, Operations gets everything else which is where gear, SCBA, wellness, etc all are.

And I agree it's an important thing but fitness equipment and shots don't make us any healthy unless the equipment gets used. And even if it is a mandated workout time situation for paid personnel health and fitness is still an individual decision. I wouldn't have lost 20lbs since May in DC at the NFFF presentation unless I realized I was overweight and a cardiac risk from that coupled with a family history, and then decided to do something about it. Unless the individual wants to make progress, no one else can make up their mind for them. I made the decision that I needed to be as fit as possible because if I go down inside that might get someone else on RIT killed coming after me. I've always said if I do something stupid and get hurt then I deserve it, but not when I do something stupid and get someone else hurt. Each firefighter needs to take a look in the mirror and decide if they want to change or not. And that's a hard decision because ego keeps us from doing reality checks on ourselves, that's what happened with me until I realized that after 5 minutes of playing with my 3 year old and our dog in the backyard I was toasted already. This from me, a guy that spent 20+ hours a week on the ice and another 10+ in the gym in the same week. We can mandate some things but some still won't fall in line. Take a look at how many cities have annual PAT tests and have 6' tall 350lb guys somehow pass them and these same guys can't even zip their gear anymore or get winded getting up out of the chair to get to the truck. It's called self-policing, and we let each other get away with it so no surprise it comes back to bite us. Of course I'm hopeful, just saw the stats on the Firehouse.com home page, 6 weeks left in the year and still under 100 for LODDs. Don't want to jinx it but this will be the first year in a long time we're under that mark.

Thread Information