MembersZone Subscriber

Default Climate Change Propaganda

I don't care what side of this issue you are on. Read this article and look at the underlying message. If you think that saving some tree frog is the true purpose of the climate change movement, this article should show you something that will change your mind.

‘Climate change pushes poor women to prostitution, dangerous work’
    JOSEPH HOLANDES UBALDE, GMANews.TV
    11/19/2009 | 01:19 PM

The effects of climate change have driven women in communities in coastal areas in poor countries like the Philippines into dangerous work, and sometimes even the flesh trade, a United Nations official said.

Suneeta Mukherjee, country representative of the United Nations Food Population Fund (UNFPA), said women in the Philippines are the most vulnerable to the effects of climate change in the country.

“Climate change could reduce income from farming and fishing, possibly driving some women into sex work and thereby increase HIV infection," Mukherjee said during the Wednesday launch of the UNFPA annual State of World Population Report in Pasay City.

In the Philippines, small brothels usually pop up near the coastal areas where many women perform sexual services for transient seafarers. Often, these prostitutes are ferried to bigger ships by their pimps.

Based on the UNFPA report, there are 92 million Filipinos in the country as of 2009 and that number is expected to balloon to more than 146 million in the next 40 years.

Of the 92 million Filipinos, about 60 percent are living in coastal areas and depend on the seas for livelihood, said former Environment secretary Dr. Angel Alcala.

Alcala said that “we have already exceeded the carrying capacity of our marine environment."

But as the sea’s resources are depleted due to overpopulation and overfishing, fishermen start losing their livelihood and women are forced to share the traditional role of the man in providing for the family.

Alacala, who also heads the Angelo King Center for Research and Environmental Management in Siliman University, said some women often pick out shellfish by the coastlines, which exposed to storm surges.

Women who can no longer endure this work often go out to find other jobs, while some are tempted to go into prostitution, Alcala added.

In an interview with the Inter Press News Agency, Marita Rodriguez of the Centre for Empowerment and Resource Development, Inc. said women are taking the brunt of climate change.

"Aside from their household chores and participation in fishing activity, they have to find additional sources of income like working as domestic helpers in affluent families," she said.

The UNFPA noted that the temperature in the earth’s surface has risen 0.74 degrees Celsius in the past 100 years. The 10 warmest years globally since 1880 have also been recorded in the last 13 years.

“Slower population growth, for example, would help build social resilience to climate change’s impacts and would contribute to a reduction of greenhouse gas-emissions in the future," the UNFPA report said.

The UNFPA suggested five measures to mitigate climate change and overpopulation:
    •Bring a better understanding of population dynamics, gender and reproductive health to climate change and environmental discussions at all levels;

•Fully fund family planning services and contraceptive supplies within the framework of reproductive health and rights, and assure that low income is no barrier to access;

•Prioritize research and date collection to improve the understanding of gender and population dynamics in climate change mitigation and adaptation;

•Improve sex-disaggregation of date related to migration flows that are influenced by environmental factors and prepare now for increases in population movements resulting from climate change; and

•Integrate gender considerations into global efforts to mitigate and adapt to climate change.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Melting polar icecaps=bigger oceans=more sailors=more prostitutes. Simple economics, really....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Melting polar icecaps=bigger oceans=more sailors=more prostitutes. Simple economics, really....
    Problem is the actual Ice Mass in Antarctica is growing, not shrinking. What the idiots on the left don't tell you is that while the ice in disappearing from the east and places like the Larsen shelf are breaking off, the West of Antarctica is increasing more in mass than the losses form the other side. The also aren't telling you how there is new ice forming in the Arctic as well. The whole anthropogenic theory of man made global warming is junk science. In fact, if you look at Al Whores (or is that Gore) graph showing the CO2 and temperature correlation you will see that often temperature rise precedes the rise in CO2. Once again, he has it backwards. Makes you wonder how he ever invented the internet.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Finally, after all the junk science and bullcrap surrounding the global warming religion, WE FINALLY HAVE A STATEMENT THAT MAKES SENSE!

Keep up the good work!
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Once again, he has it backwards. Makes you wonder how he ever invented the internet.
    Try again: Al Gore "Invented" the Internet.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Which is still false considering that the military was using LAN and internet systems back in the 1960s and 1970s.

Those things called facts are pesky things.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Talking

Whoever wrote that piece of drivel has never taken a walk along the main drag in olongapo city. You couldn't go a block without being accosted by at least a dozen "PO city Ho's. That was back 35 years ago.

As far as global warming , it was 62 f today here in Maine. Most years we have frost and snow by now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Simple supply and demand.

Gotta love it!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    As far as global warming , it was 62 f today here in Maine. Most years we have frost and snow by now.
    As you said "most years" ..... go look back over a forty year history and you will see this cyclical pattern happens.

Its not about whether its warming or not ... it about whether we (mankind) are causing it. As silly as it sounds I remember reading one year where it got hotter in 49 of the fifty states .... apparently Texas was spared from the global warming that year ? Does that even make sense? Regional variations occur due to natural weather patterns.

Second thing i remember being up near VT and having a seventy degree day the second week of January .... thats proof you say of global warming ... except it was over twenty years ago. Way before the "alleged" great warming period of the 90's. Again regional weather patterns vary from year to year ... a lot of times depending on the winds (el nino and such).

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by owenscott View Post
    Its not about whether its warming or not ... it about whether we (mankind) are causing it.
    If woolly Mammoths had the Internet and "Science" they would have been debating if they are causing Global Warming during the last Ice Age.

I believe that Global Warming as a phenomenon exists, but I don't think that we are that big of a cause or that there is much of anything we can do to prevent it.

Instead of ways to "prevent" global warming, I think our resources would be better spend to "adapt" to global warming:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative of creating the internet" - Al Gore

Sounds to me his direct quote was that he was taking credit for creating the internet. Something you should know about Snopes, It is run by a bunch of liberals. It is in fact not a very reliable source. It falls into the same category as wikipedia.

And oh by the way, the first network was built in the 1960s in a lab in UCLA or MIT, I forget which it was. I do know it was well before Al Gore was old enough to start doing the drugs that messed him up for life.
    Last edited by ScareCrow57; 11-22-2009 at 11:05 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by owenscott View Post
    As you said "most years" ..... go look back over a forty year history and you will see this cyclical pattern happens.

Its not about whether its warming or not ... it about whether we (mankind) are causing it. As silly as it sounds I remember reading one year where it got hotter in 49 of the fifty states .... apparently Texas was spared from the global warming that year ? Does that even make sense? Regional variations occur due to natural weather patterns.

Second thing i remember being up near VT and having a seventy degree day the second week of January .... thats proof you say of global warming ... except it was over twenty years ago. Way before the "alleged" great warming period of the 90's. Again regional weather patterns vary from year to year ... a lot of times depending on the winds (el nino and such).
    I recall just a couple of years ago Baghdad had snow, and China had the coldest winter in years. And if you look at the graph of temperature for the last 1,000,000 years you will see that we go into an inter-glacial period every 130,000 years or so. People seem to forget that 15,000 years ago there was a 2 mile think sheet of ice over NYC.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    If woolly Mammoths had the Internet and "Science" they would have been debating if they are causing Global Warming during the last Ice Age.

I believe that Global Warming as a phenomenon exists, but I don't think that we are that big of a cause or that there is much of anything we can do to prevent it.

Instead of ways to "prevent" global warming, I think our resources would be better spend to "adapt" to global warming:

I believe the correct term is climate change. The Climate has a natural variability to it and mankind is powerless to change it. There is a fellow from I believe it is Sweden who thinks exactly the same. We shouldn't be spending our efforts to try to control the climate, our efforts and resources should be spent on adapting to the new world as it will exist. That makes far more sense. We should be doing things like preventing the building of homes and businesses in coastal and low lying areas. That way when the seas rise you don't end up with something as stupid as a city below sea level.

MembersZone Subscriber

The story has nothing to do with climate change. It has nothing to do with the Internet or Al Gore.

The story exposes what the liberal's underlying agenda is; to use "climate change" as a means to create a new social order and to advance every liberal social issue they possibly can. I would suggest to you, that based on the available evidence, most liberal climate change activists do not give a crap about climate change.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Uhhhh........

People seem to forget that 15,000 years ago there was a 2 mile think sheet of ice over NYC.

Amazing........... How did they keep the Streets Plowed??.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    They had tunnels instead.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    They covered the ice with delicious flavored syrups. Rossie O'Donnel ate the streets clear.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

Problem is the actual Ice Mass in Antarctica is growing, not shrinking. What the idiots on the left don't tell you is that while the ice in disappearing from the east and places like the Larsen shelf are breaking off, the West of Antarctica is increasing more in mass than the losses form the other side.
    Antarctica Loses Ice From East as Well as West, Scientists Say

Nov. 23 (Bloomberg) -- Antarctica is losing ice from its larger eastern side as well as the western part, an indication the southernmost continent may add “significantly more” to rising seas, researchers in Texas said.

The eastern sheet lost ice at a rate of about 57 billion metric tons a year from 2002 to 2009, contributing to the continent’s total annual average loss of about 190 billion tons, scientists at the University of Texas at Austin said in the journal Nature Geoscience.

United Nations scientists in 2007 said most of Antarctica’s contribution to rising sea levels amid global warming comes from the western sheet, with the eastern part either holding steady or gaining mass. The latest findings for East Antarctica are “surprising” because they differ from other estimates, said glaciologist Jonathan Bamber, who wasn’t involved in the study.

“I’m surprised because other studies for slightly different time periods have come up with values that are very close to zero,” Bamber, professor of physical geography at the University of Bristol in England, said in a telephone interview. “This result really confirms that there are very substantial inconsistencies between different estimates.”

The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change in 2007 said oceans will gain 18 centimeters to 59 centimeters (7 inches to 23 inches) by 2100 and that uncertainty surrounds forecasts for the amount Antarctica will contribute. Bamber said the margin of error for the latest prediction about East Antarctica -- of 52 billion tons -- meant the sheet’s contribution could still be close to zero.

NASA Satellites

“The margins of error are so large that it can be difficult to draw strong conclusions,” Bamber said, pointing to a 2008 study he co-wrote that estimated East Antarctica’s ice loss at 4 billion tons, with an error margin of 61 billion tons. The eastern sheet is about 10 times the size of the western sheet, he said.

The University of Texas scientists used data from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment, or Grace, which measures changes in gravitational pull. NASA’s two Grace satellites were launched in 2002 so prior data using the same methodology isn’t available.

The researchers’ figure for ice loss for the continent as a whole of 190 billion tons, with a margin of error of 77 billion tons, comes in at the upper end of UN estimates. The UN climate panel in 2007 said estimates of changes in the mass of Antarctic ice cover ranged from an annual gain of 50 billion tons to a yearly loss of 200 billion tons from 1993 through 2003.

Sea-Level Rise

Since 2006, Antarctica’s ice loss may be as high as 220 billion tons a year, the University of Texas scientists said in the paper.

“In contrast to previous estimates, they indicate that as a whole Antarctica may soon be contributing significantly more to global sea-level rise,” the researchers wrote, referring to their own estimates. They didn’t say how much the oceans may rise as a result of melting ice.

NASA researchers last year calculated Antarctica as a whole lost 196 billion metric tons of ice in 2006, enough to raise sea levels by 0.5 millimeters (0.02 inches).

Bamber said while the current contribution to rising seas of melting ice sheets in Antarctica and Greenland isn’t “trivial,” it’s also “not absolutely catastrophic.”

Even so, “if I was in the Maldives or Bangladesh I might not be quite as bullish as that,” Bamber said, referring to two low-lying nations. “If this acceleration continues at the rate we’ve seen over the past 5 to 10 years, that’s very serious.”

Antarctica has registered the world’s lowest temperature: minus 89 degrees Celsius, or minus 128 degrees Fahrenheit, U.S. Climatic Data Center scientists say.

Banned

It would appear that I got my east and west crossed up.

Antarctica – warming, ice melting – not yet
    Since the wisdom in the press headline is that “Antarctica is melting – sell the beach house”, but we see Antarctic ice increasing, one can only conclude that like Steigs upside down thermometers, we must also have upside down ice sensors, and the ice is actually less than last year. I’m sure somebody can prove that statistically.
    East Antarctic Ice Sheet Gains Mass and Slows Sea Level Rise, Study Finds
    From 1992 to 2003, Curt Davis, MU professor of electrical and computer engineering, and his team of researchers observed 7.1 million kilometers of the ice sheet, using satellites to measure changes in elevation. They discovered that the ice sheet's interior was gaining mass by about 45 billion tons per year, which was enough to slow sea level rise by .12 millimeters per year. The interior of the ice sheet is the only large terrestrial ice body that is likely gaining mass rather than losing it, Davis said.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Yeah..........

I think the Climate really does change. I mean, look at August of 2009. Hot, Humid, Etc. Now here we are in late November, it's Colder, Wetter, etc...... That's a Change.............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information