Thread: Ice Rescue

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ice Rescue

With the recent completion of a new reservoir in our district (right behind out station!) I have been tasked with putting together ice rescue capabilities in our department. I have zero knowledge about ice rescue, but can seek guidance from the county's volunteer rescue squad (which is currently our only solution for ice rescue). I was curious if anyone has a sample SOG they could provide and a list of necessary equipment.

Thanks in advance!

Forum Member

Get a few dry suits, a few reels 200ft of rope, a few pairs of ice picks that retract, ill try and find the proper name, a few pairs of flippers for cold water rescue, mask, snorkel, towels blankets reflective blankets. A loop which will be used to secure an unconscious person, ill find that out too.

This should help
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cdK36uWjzA

Forum Member

And one of those Nebulus things. I would look at getting us one if we could justify it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Attend a surface ice rescue class from Diver Rescue International.
    Do not exceed your level of training (awarness, operations, Tech)
    At this point your training is recognizing that there is someone on the ice, and call for back up.
    Drysuits are not the appropriate ppe for surface ice rescue. The Mustang ice commander is a far better choice. Get the training first!!! you will have the opportunity to try stuff out before wasting money.
    Right now the reach, throw, row are your options the "GO" rescue is reserved for the time you have the appropriate training and equipment.

By me almost everyone is at the tech level for surface ice rescue. Each engine and the heavy rescue have equipment for this.
    Mustang Ice Commander
    Pick of life ice awls
    200' water rescue rope with two biners and 1 ice rescue carabiner
    1 PFD for shore person

You don't need anything else, call DRI and tell them your situation they will send an instructor to you along with equipment to try out. Do not waste your money on a bunch of toys that only complicate the rescue. KISS, and get training asap

Forum Member

We have a MARSARS sled. It is an awesome piece of equipment for both open water and ice rescue.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ADSNWFLD View Post
    Attend a surface ice rescue class from Diver Rescue International.
    Do not exceed your level of training (awarness, operations, Tech)
    At this point your training is recognizing that there is someone on the ice, and call for back up.
    Drysuits are not the appropriate ppe for surface ice rescue. The Mustang ice commander is a far better choice. Get the training first!!! you will have the opportunity to try stuff out before wasting money.
    Right now the reach, throw, row are your options the "GO" rescue is reserved for the time you have the appropriate training and equipment.

By me almost everyone is at the tech level for surface ice rescue. Each engine and the heavy rescue have equipment for this.
    Mustang Ice Commander
    Pick of life ice awls
    200' water rescue rope with two biners and 1 ice rescue carabiner
    1 PFD for shore person

You don't need anything else, call DRI and tell them your situation they will send an instructor to you along with equipment to try out. Do not waste your money on a bunch of toys that only complicate the rescue. KISS, and get training asap
    We are for sure going to get the training prior to moving forward with purchasing equipment. The rescue squad that we work with has DRI certified instructors and will be providing the necessary training... they taught us today on how to assist them with our current level of equipment/training.

They use the Mustang suits and they seem like the way to go!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1 View Post
    They use the Mustang suits and they seem like the way to go!
    Also the suits we use for ice and cold water. Great suits.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Back In Black

This team does most of the training near me and travel all over the country.

Give them a try.

http://www.teamlgs.com/
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Get a few dry suits, a few reels 200ft of rope, a few pairs of ice picks that retract, ill try and find the proper name, a few pairs of flippers for cold water rescue, mask, snorkel, towels blankets reflective blankets. A loop which will be used to secure an unconscious person, ill find that out too.

This should help
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cdK36uWjzA
    You left out the sled and life jackets. We put all of our ice rescue stuff in those big plastic totes and that is stored in our Utility Pickup truck. We use the pickup becuase it is lighter and more maneuverable.

Thread Information