Forum Member

Default SAFER question Federal Employees

Reading thru Safer guidance again on page 33 in section 4 item F leaves me a little confused.

"Federal employees arre prohibited from serving in any capacity (paid or unpaid) on any proposal submitted under this grant opportunity. Federal employees may not receive funds under this award."

Does this just reinterate that Federal Fire Departments are not eligible or is it saying in Recruitment and Retention I cant target trying to recruit volunteers from the local US Forest Service office? In fact if I work for the Social Security Administration in my regular paid job, but at night I'm a volunteer firefighter and grant writer for my local vollie dept, I am ineligible to do either of these things?

This is tripping me up a little.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hinesfire View Post
    Reading thru Safer guidance again on page 33 in section 4 item F leaves me a little confused.

"Federal employees arre prohibited from serving in any capacity (paid or unpaid) on any proposal submitted under this grant opportunity. Federal employees may not receive funds under this award."

Does this just reinterate that Federal Fire Departments are not eligible or is it saying in Recruitment and Retention I cant target trying to recruit volunteers from the local US Forest Service office? In fact if I work for the Social Security Administration in my regular paid job, but at night I'm a volunteer firefighter and grant writer for my local vollie dept, I am ineligible to do either of these things?

This is tripping me up a little.
    I've read this a number of times and come up with the following conclusions/interpretations.

IMHO:

1) As an employee for SSA, you cannot work on the grant application.

2) You can still recruit volunteers that work for another federal agency, but they cannot recieve any of the benefits associated with an R&R program.

3) You still can be a firefighter, but would not be able to benefit from the R&R program.

In all honesty, this needs to bounced up to the next level (not the Help Desk) for further clarification.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Same thing as in other areas they're afraid of the conflict of interest situation and someone claiming because a member works for the federal government in some capacity then they influenced the outcome of the application. I think it's mainly for the hiring side, after all we have lots of folks in the military that are both career and volunteer firefighters and last time I checked they are federal employees. Stretch it even farther and technically when a department responds to an incident in most states for workman's comp they are considered employees of the municipality that the department is located in. Large enough of an incident and federal requests for assistance come in then that fits the IRS definition of "work" and makes everyone there a federal employee. Some of this is in jest of course, but considering how some people in this country are it's a possible connection that they'd scream conflict on and want the award pulled.

Of course I could say that since we're taxpayers the government is supposed to work for us but think that ship sailed many moons ago...

Forum Member

Talking

This is just so wrong. We had several members that are employed by uncle between having a naval air station and a major naval shipyard in the area.
    "W" solved the air base problem for us as it's last three aircraft are leaving over the next 5 days. Then it will be will the last employee shut of the lights.

The Yard on the other hand is close to the largest employer in the state. To not allow them to take part in any R&R programs is wrong, To not allow them to take part in writing funding requests for their hometown departments is wrong. The conspiracy theorist's are looking in closets that don't exist for communists that aren't there.

End of my monday morning rant. :-]

FH Mag/.com Contributor

That's why I think it's more for hiring than anything. There are some wackjobs that will claim hines working for SSA helped them get the grant because "every agency talks to every other agency". Of course if that were only true the government might be running efficiently.

Jon I hope you'll be retired by 2030, SSA isn't going to have money to pay the rest of us I doubt they'll have people working there by then...

Forum Member

I attended a leadership and department management class Saturday. They had gone over what they had done with a SAFER grant. Impressive TV ads and videos, more.
    I gotta get on the ball and get my share of that kind of assistance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    There are some wackjobs that will claim hines working for SSA helped them get the grant because "every agency talks to every other agency".
    This would imply a "government conspiracy"! Another oxy-moron. Having worked in government for 22 years, I can attest to the fact that government isn't coordinated enough to conspire to boil water!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

Forum Member

Has anyone asked for a formal intrepretation of this from FEMA upper management or their legal staff?
    What about Census Bureau workers? They are employed by the Department of Commerce and there will be thousands...many of them in volunteer departments. Will they be barred?

MembersZone Subscriber

I sent an email to my Congressman. The fire company chief and deputy chief both work for the Department of the Navy. Chief and deputy have written all of the grants. We have been pretty successful for a small fire company with several AFG grants and a 2007 SAFER. Aside from the potential of being excluded for this round of SAFER, I am concerned about the effect of recruitment and retention of other Federal employees. I am even more concerned that this concept of excluding Federal employees may spread to the other programs AFG, fire prevention, etc.

Thread Information