Early Adopter

Exclamation A classroom full of 8th graders...

So we've been assigned to make a presentation to a couple of eighth-grade career orientation classes. If I remember my junior high days correctly, most of us were hormonally-challenged morons. Well, at least I was. I can usually handle the little kids with no problem. I've got the adults and senior citizens pretty much down, also. These eighth-graders, though... I'm not sure about them.

Who has suggestions for what a good careers presentation would include for these kids?

Forum Member

Bring the hottest female and hottest male firefighters you have. There. All bases covered.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Thats going to be a tough one unless you can get some sort of hands-on stuff into it. Talks for high school kids are the worst. Just don't expect a ton of questions (little kids are great for that).

MembersZone Subscriber

Keep it short and sweet. If you can put together a presentation with some really cool pictures or videos, that helps keep their attention a little more. It sounds like you're doing a career guidance presentation. Talk briefly about the different paths someone can pursue in a FD such as Medic, Dive Team, Engineer, Heavy Rescue, etc. Include a minute or two about the Academy and all the different stuff you had to learn in a really short time in addition to the practical evolutions. If you have a clean set of bunker gear, bring it in and show them a bunker drill or let someone put it on. I'd shoot for no more than 10-15 minutes at the most. Of course, if you can get an available engine to stop by, it's always fun to give them a quick tour and set up a hose demonstration. Remember, it doesn't matter who you are or what you are, most of these kids will probably care less (the joys of Junior High). Good luck!

Forum Member

Default short and powerful

i agree keep it short and somewhat powerful so that they get the most out of it. if your a volunteer dept with an explorer or junior firefighter program you should offer them to join it, going to middle schools and high schools is a great recruiting tool for it.

MembersZone Subscriber

What I have done in the past is when I first walk in, ask them what they think a firefighter's job is. This gets them thinking and interacting very quickly. You will be very surprised at the answers you get and will be able to tell who knows and who doesn't know. I also have some pictures of big fires that I pass around too.

I talk about the explorer post and what they can do and their activities. This usually hooks them. I agree, keep it short, about 15min max. They will let you know if they want you to stay longer and talk more, each class is different.

If you have a cool video with some explosions or some big fire right away might be cool too.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Borderline, but gets their attention.

Get some cheap photo editting software and show pictures of simulated fires....at their houses. Worked with my Town Council a few years ago.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Borderline, but gets their attention.

Get some cheap photo editting software and show pictures of simulated fires....at their houses. Worked with my Town Council a few years ago.
    Perhaps a bit edgy for that age I agree, but wow, GREAT idea for the town policy makers! Nicely played!

As far as the presentation goes, definetely make it as hands on as possible. Charge a hoseline and have them advance it (don't flow the water!), build a window frame or stud frame and have them egress through it, bring in a 24" plastic pipe section allow them to crawl through, have up-to-date videos (those videotapes from '85 will be a recipe for disaster) bring in a fire victim to discuss the need for safety, make it interactive and you'll give yourself the best chance you can.

Good luck

Forum Member

Walk in a bite the ear off the toughest looking kid. Spit it at the second toughest and this will assert your dominance.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

If Chief G. assigned this mission to you, I would ask him for his wisdom and guideance. I don't know anyone who is better with 8th graders, even though he will tell you he isn't.

Advise him you have not been trained for this assignment and would prefer that he personally demonstrate the correct method of engagement and extrication. You will need both skills to accomplish this mission, especially since these types of incidents can quickly escalate and get out of control.

My bet is he will tell you to "adapt and overcome".

The last time we sent a crew to the Junior High was to extinquish the restrooms. The talking part about career choices came later.

I wish you luck sir.

Forum Member

So, what did you end up doing? Did it work?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    So we've been assigned to make a presentation to a couple of eighth-grade career orientation classes. If I remember my junior high days correctly, most of us were hormonally-challenged morons. Well, at least I was. I can usually handle the little kids with no problem. I've got the adults and senior citizens pretty much down, also. These eighth-graders, though... I'm not sure about them.

Who has suggestions for what a good careers presentation would include for these kids?
    Possibly Mace?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Presentation

Have them practice using the AED paddles on each other!
    They’d get a charge out of that! Ha ha

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    What I have done in the past is when I first walk in, ask them what they think a firefighter's job is. This gets them thinking and interacting very quickly. You will be very surprised at the answers you get and will be able to tell who knows and who doesn't know. I also have some pictures of big fires that I pass around too.

I talk about the explorer post and what they can do and their activities. This usually hooks them. I agree, keep it short, about 15min max. They will let you know if they want you to stay longer and talk more, each class is different.

If you have a cool video with some explosions or some big fire right away might be cool too.
    Yeah, talk about the Explorer post; then explain to them how it'll get them all the chicks when they make it to High School.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Thread Information