+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default It's Been a Bad Week for Pres. Obama

One term. That's it. Guaranteed.

Obama's Nice Guy Act Gets Him Nowhere on the World Stage
    By Gabor Steingart

When he entered office, US President Barack Obama promised to inject US foreign policy with a new tone of respect and diplomacy. His recent trip to Asia, however, showed that it's not working. A shift to Bush-style bluntness may be coming.

There were only a few hours left before Air Force One was scheduled to depart for the flight home. US President Barack Obama trip through Asia had already seen him travel 24,000 kilometers, sit through a dozen state banquets, climb the Great Wall of China and shake hands with Korean children. It was high time to take stock of the trip.

Barack Obama looked tired on Thursday, as he stood in the Blue House in Seoul, the official residence of the South Korean president. He also seemed irritable and even slightly forlorn. The CNN cameras had already been set up. But then Obama decided not to play along, and not to answer the question he had already been asked several times on his trip: what did he plan to take home with him? Instead, he simply said "thank you, guys," and disappeared. David Axelrod, senior advisor to the president, fielded the journalists' questions in the hallway of the Blue House instead, telling them that the public's expectations had been "too high."

The mood in Obama's foreign policy team is tense following an extended Asia trip that produced no palpable results. The "first Pacific president," as Obama called himself, came as a friend and returned as a stranger. The Asians smiled but made no concessions.

Lost Some Stature

Upon taking office, Obama said that he wanted to listen to the world, promising respect instead of arrogance. But Obama's currency isn't as strong as he had believed. Everyone wants respect, but hardly anyone is willing to pay for it. Interests, not emotions, dominate the world of realpolitik. The Asia trip revealed the limits of Washington's new foreign policy: Although Obama did not lose face in China and Japan, he did appear to have lost some of his initial stature.

In Tokyo, the new center-left government even pulled out of its participation in a mission which saw the Japanese navy refueling US warships in the Indian Ocean as part of the Afghanistan campaign. In Beijing, Obama failed to achieve any important concessions whatsoever. There will be no binding commitments from China to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. A revaluation of the Chinese currency, which is kept artificially weak, has been postponed. Sanctions against Iran? Not a chance. Nuclear disarmament? Not an issue for the Chinese.

The White House did not even stand up for itself when it came to the question of human rights in China. The president, who had said only a few days earlier that freedom of expression is a universal right, was coerced into attending a joint press conference with Chinese President Hu Jintao, at which questions were forbidden. Former US President George W. Bush had always managed to avoid such press conferences.

Relatively Unsuccessful

A look back in time reveals the differences. When former President Bill Clinton went to China in June 1998, Beijing wanted to impress the Americans. A press conference in the Great Hall of the People, broadcast on television as a 70-minute live discussion, became a sensation the world over. Clinton mentioned the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre, when the government used tanks against protestors. But then President Jiang Zemin defended the tough approach taken by the Chinese Communists. At the end of the exchange, the Chinese president praised the debate and said: "I believe this is democracy!"

Obama visited a new China, an economic power that is now making its own demands. America should clean up its government finances, and the weak dollar is unacceptable, the head of the Chinese banking authority said, just as Obama's plane was about to land.

Obama's new foreign policy has also been relatively unsuccessful elsewhere, with even friends like Israel leaving him high and dry. For the government of Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, peace is only conceivable under its terms. Netanyahu has rejected Obama's call for a complete moratorium on the construction of settlements. As a result, Obama has nothing to offer the Palestinians and the Syrians. "We thought we had some leverage," says Martin Indyk, a former ambassador to Israel under the Clinton administration and now an advisor to Obama. "But that proved to be an illusion."

Even the president seems to have lost his faith in a genial foreign policy. The approach that was being used in Afghanistan this spring, with its strong emphasis on civilian reconstruction, is already being changed. "We're searching for an exit strategy," said a staff member with the National Security Council on the sidelines of the Asia trip.

'A Lot Like Jimmy Carter'

An end to diplomacy is also taking shape in Washington's policy toward Tehran. It is now up to Iran, Obama said, to convince the world that its nuclear power is peaceful. While in Asia, Obama mentioned "consequences" unless it followed his advice. This puts the president, in his tenth month in office, where Bush began -- with threats. "Time is running out," Obama said in Korea. It was the same phrase Bush used against former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, shortly before he sent in the bombers.

There are many indications that the man in charge at the White House will take a tougher stance in the future. Obama's advisors fear a comparison with former Democratic President Jimmy Carter, even more than with Bush. Prominent Republicans have already tried to liken Obama to the humanitarian from Georgia, who lost in his bid to win a second term, because voters felt that he was too soft. "Carter tried weakness and the world got tougher and tougher because the predators, the aggressors, the anti-Americans, the dictators, when they sense weakness, they all start pushing ahead," Newt Gingrich, the former Republican speaker in the House of Representatives, recently said. And then he added: "This does look a lot like Jimmy Carter."

Translated from the German by Christopher Sultan

URL:
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/...662822,00.html
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Pres. Obama Presidential Approval Rating at its lowest point yet...and still falling.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ..._tracking_poll

Forum Member

AWWWWWWWWWWWW !!!!

I can only hope your prediction is right George.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Pres. Obama Presidential Approval Rating at its lowest point yet...and still falling.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ..._tracking_poll
    Heh...I check over here occasionally to see just how bad the desperation is getting. And apparantly, the whinefest is still ongoing.

Hey, George...I'm so glad you have Scarecrow on your side, now. Instead of spending hours countering you, I just let him back you up.

Rasmussen...what a hoot! Surely you can do better than that!

One term. That's it. Guaranteed.
    Oh, please, please, please...run Palin!
    I wonder if she's learned to read, yet?

Forum Member

I see Noz still is incapable of having a mature, well-resoned, intelligent discussion based on anything beyond his ideology without insulting people.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    Heh...I check over here occasionally to see just how bad the desperation is getting. And apparantly, the whinefest is still ongoing.

Hey, George...I'm so glad you have Scarecrow on your side, now. Instead of spending hours countering you, I just let him back you up.

We need to quit worrying about the small stuff and get proactive with getting the jobs back into this country. Without jobs people cant pay their taxes and guess what, we cant fuel up the trucks to respond to our neighbors house fire. When are people going to wake up and realize that without jobs this country cannot stand. Instead of wasting your time posting on this useless topic, write to your Representative, Congressperson and whoever votes in Washington and ask them what they are doing to get jobs back in here. Democrat, Republican, Independant, we need to come together and get this done before its too late if its not already.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, I agree. Having that idiot on my side is the one down side to posting as a conservative here.

Rasmussen was the news of the day. I didn't have time to look up the others. Which one do you like?

Please let me know if I have advocated Sarah Palin for Pres. I will need to edit the post. There are no Palin '12 buttons or bumper stickers at my house.

But you have to admit one thing...if she is such a joke, the Dems are sure spending alot of time, energy and money refuting her.

Banned

Sure I can do better, How about Gallup with an approval of 49% and disapproval of 44% . He is tanking fast sunshine. Unless the Republicans put someone like John Kerry or Al Gore up against Obama he will be a one and done.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    I see Noz still is incapable of having a mature, well-resoned, intelligent discussion based on anything beyond his ideology without insulting people.
    That would require a functioning cerebral cortex. Good luck with that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfire1156 View Post
    We need to quit worrying about the small stuff and get proactive with getting the jobs back into this country. Without jobs people cant pay their taxes and guess what, we cant fuel up the trucks to respond to our neighbors house fire. When are people going to wake up and realize that without jobs this country cannot stand. Instead of wasting your time posting on this useless topic, write to your Representative, Congressperson and whoever votes in Washington and ask them what they are doing to get jobs back in here. Democrat, Republican, Independant, we need to come together and get this done before its too late if its not already.
    To do that they first need to cut taxes. Every dollar they take out of the economy is one less dollar that can be used for jobs. And yes, Government does provide jobs as well. However, the large majority are non-productive bureaucratic positions.

Forum Member

But you have to admit one thing...if she is such a joke, the Dems are sure spending alot of time, energy and money refuting her.
    Refuting her? More like laughing openly at her. The look on Katie Couric's face after hearing Palin's answers to her questions is still priceless. The only reason she's still around is the media can't get enough of the freakshow she's become. She was never anything more than a Republican T 'n' A show. And I never accused you of being a Palin supporter. In fact, I'm almost positive you wince at every "you betcha" that comes out of her mouth.

That would require a functioning cerebral cortex. Good luck with that.
    Alright! You found a buddy! Unlike George, ol' Sharkie will probably recipricate your rimjob offerings! That's one tool I sure don't regret putting on my ignore list. Since you bothered quoting him, why don't you ask George if he found anything I posted insulting. Same ol' Sharkie...same old lame *** tactics.
    Yawn.

Back In Black

'A Lot Like Jimmy Carter'
    That pretty much sums it up, right there.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I guess it got real bad last night. Radio news reported this morning that his first State Dinner got crashed last night, by a couple from VA. Apparently they were NOT on the invited guest list. It sounds like they got through security and into the main area before someone got "interested". A review of SS security procedures is currently underway.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Uninvited guests crash White House dinner

By JoAnne Allen, Reuters November 26, 2009 4:17 AM

WASHINGTON - The Secret Service is investigating how an uninvited couple was admitted to President Barack Obama's White House state dinner, penetrating layers of security, a spokesman said Wednesday.

The agency charged with protecting the president and other high-level officials is conducting a comprehensive review of the security breach Tuesday at the dinner in honor of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, U.S. Secret Service spokesman Edwin Donovan said.

The Washington Post first reported that a northern Virginia couple, Tareq and Michaele Salahi, not on the official guest list, crashed the White House party but were never seated at a table in the South Lawn tent where the dinner was held.

The White House has asked the Secret Service for a full review of what happened, an official said.

"An initial finding has identified one of our checkpoints that did not follow proper procedures to ensure that the two individuals that were named in the Washington Post story were on the invited guests list," Donovan said. But he said no was at the dinner was ever in danger.

"I want to stress that these individuals went through magnetometers and several other levels of screenings just as all of the guests attending the dinner did," he said.

"We don't rely on just magnetometers or the level of screenings," he added." That's why we have the agents with our protectees at all times times."

The couple, described by The Washington Post as aspiring reality-TV stars and polo-playing socialites, were seen arriving at the White House.

According to the Post, the uninvited guests were in the same room as the Obamas and Prime Minister Singh, but it is not known if they met.

A dozen pictures posted on Facebook appear to show the couple posing with dinner guests including Vice President Joe Biden, Washington Mayor Adrian Fenty, CBS News anchor Katie Couric, and White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel.

Copyright (c) Reuters

MembersZone Subscriber

In fact, I'm almost positive you wince at every "you betcha" that comes out of her mouth.
    You betcha!

MembersZone Subscriber

The couple, described by The Washington Post as aspiring reality-TV stars and polo-playing socialites, were seen arriving at the White House.
    This is a pretty disturbing trend. It seems these attention-seeking scumbags will go to any length to get a "reality TV show" gig. Someday, somebody is going to get hurt.

My bet is that there are a couple of Secret Service agents who are in the process of being transfered to the Nome, AK field office today.

MembersZone Subscriber

Could not resist:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Alright! You found a buddy! Unlike George, ol' Sharkie will probably recipricate your rimjob offerings! That's one tool I sure don't regret putting on my ignore list. Since you bothered quoting him, why don't you ask George if he found anything I posted insulting. Same ol' Sharkie...same old lame *** tactics.
    Yawn.
    What? When did I get on his ignore list? I need to seek counseling to cope with this newly found information. Wonder what I did to tick him off? Must have been my continued questioning of him to substantiate the statements he made in his posts. Instead, I get insulted because he has no intestinal fortitude to have a well-reasoned, well-thought discussion, supported by data, statistics, and information......without degrading into personal insults and namecalling while trying to mimick the actions of an 11 year old.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    I guess it got real bad last night. Radio news reported this morning that his first State Dinner got crashed last night, by a couple from VA. Apparently they were NOT on the invited guest list. It sounds like they got through security and into the main area before someone got "interested". A review of SS security procedures is currently underway.
    My first thought when I saw this one on the news last night was how many Secret Service agents will be fired, suspended, or re-assigned over this.

I mean how the F@CK does a uniformed Secret Service officer allow a person onto the grounds of the White House without their name appearing on a list of invited/approved person who has already undergone a background check? You cannot even get to visit the White House without prior approval for a tour for crying out loud......Nevermind when the President of the second most populous nation in the world is staying at the White House.

Heads will roll, not only for the security breach......but also because this story has totally trumped any attention that Mr. Obama would have gotten for the first State Dinner that he had.

MembersZone Subscriber

Heads will roll, not only for the security breach......but also because this story has totally trumped any attention that Mr. Obama would have gotten for the first State Dinner that he had.
    That's Affirmative.

Forum Member

The posts above is exactly why we cannot unite and get anything done in this country. I think there should be no more differences between party lines, but who am I trying to fool? Myself I guess. If something is not done quick and I mean quick, we are SCREWED!!!!! We are going under because each one of us think that our opinion and choices are better than the other persons. JOBS, JOBS, JOBS, and JOBS back in America will pull this country back in. Is there anyone in the White House Admin, Congress trying to get jobs back. The stimulus isnt going to do it. Give companies big tax credits and get this country some jobs. Heck pay them to buy new equipment to put back into these vacant factories across the nation. I honestly could care less if Mexico, China, and other countries get mad. We messed up a long time ago sticking our nose where it doesnt belong. Am I the only one that is thinking this way? If so I will shut up!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    That was F***ing hilarious. We have an administration that can't even set up security for a little party, How do you expect him to protect he United States.

Banned

Refuting her? More like laughing openly at her. The look on Katie Couric's face after hearing Palin's answers to her questions is still priceless. The only reason she's still around is the media can't get enough of the freakshow she's become. She was never anything more than a Republican T 'n' A show. And I never accused you of being a Palin supporter. In fact, I'm almost positive you wince at every "you betcha" that comes out of her mouth.
    The leftist liberals are flat out afraid of her. Comrade Couric and company are doing there best to silence this women who believe in Life Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness. She is exposing the leftist as the socialist/communist they are.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    My first thought when I saw this one on the news last night was how many Secret Service agents will be fired, suspended, or re-assigned over this.

I mean how the F@CK does a uniformed Secret Service officer allow a person onto the grounds of the White House without their name appearing on a list of invited/approved person who has already undergone a background check? You cannot even get to visit the White House without prior approval for a tour for crying out loud......Nevermind when the President of the second most populous nation in the world is staying at the White House.

It was done as a misdirection. They set this thing up to take attention away from his multitude of screw ups. Clinton did the same thing during the Lewinsky matter. He was losing a civil case for sexual harassment and had screwed up royally. So he threw a dart at he map and bombed Yugoslavia into submission for no other reason that to take the heat off.

I wonder of he bowed to the phonies as well.

Forum Member

I'm back after a couple months of being gone.

Did you miss me?

Hate to be buzzkill here for the conservatives. Both Reagan and Clinton had poll numbers that fell below 50% during the first year of their first term.

That didn't stop them from being re-elected three years later.

As Nozz pointed out. A lot will depend on who is the opponent. If it's Palin, Obama can cancel the call to the moving company.

One of my favorite Palin moments:

Last edited by scfire86; 11-26-2009 at 06:13 PM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information