Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default FDNY Awards New Heavy Rescue & Ambulance Contracts

According to a posting on the FireEngines.net forum by a very credible and reputable member of that site, FDNY has awarded the bid to Ferrara for 5 heavy rescues to replace the current frontline rescue fleet.

Further info:
    http://www.modelfiretrucks.net/smf/i...?topic=12371.0

Also according to a posting on FireEngines.net by the same very credible and reputable member of that site, FDNY has awarded a contract to Wheeled Coach for 56 regular ambulances on a 4 door Dodge Ram 4500 Chasis.

Further info:
    http://www.modelfiretrucks.net/smf/i...?topic=12372.0

Forum Member

What does that mean to the real world?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    What does that mean to the real world?
    The Apocalypse is imminent.
    Last edited by FireMedic049; 11-27-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    The Apocalypse in imminent.
    that was outstanding.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    that was outstanding.
    Thanks.

Is anyone really surprised, given that it has been posted in here previously that FFA was the only vendor to return bids on the RFP?

Forum Member

Is anyone really surprised, given that it has been posted in here previously that FFA was the only vendor to return bids on the RFP?
    I'm suprised that they awarded it. I am not too famaliar with the way NY does business. Is one bid OK because of the way they spec their apparatus and equipment?

I would also venture a guess that Ferrara getting the aerial contract might lend credibility to their product line.

Anyone on here have a Ferrara ("heavy") rescue?

Quote Originally Posted by 52shelby View Post
    I'm suprised that they awarded it. I am not too famaliar with the way NY does business. Is one bid OK because of the way they spec their apparatus and equipment?

I would also venture a guess that Ferrara getting the aerial contract might lend credibility to their product line.

Anyone on here have a Ferrara ("heavy") rescue?
    Why would you be surprised? NYC issued an RFP. FFA submitted a bid, which apparently met the requirements of NYC; therefore the bid was awarded. Why would multiple bids be needed? If other Mfr's chose not to bid, you can't hold a gun to their heads and make them.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would also venture a guess that Ferrara getting the aerial contract might lend credibility to their product line...
    Going to take more than NYFD to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    It's FDNY...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Why would you be surprised? NYC issued an RFP. FFA submitted a bid, which apparently met the requirements of NYC; therefore the bid was awarded. Why would multiple bids be needed? If other Mfr's chose not to bid, you can't hold a gun to their heads and make them.
    YIKES! Im sorry...

You asked and I answered. Like I said, I am not too familiar with their purchasing procedures.

NEIOWA, is they an issue with this product that we do not know about?

Forum Member

Anyone have any insight as to why only FFA put in a bid for the FDNY Resuce units? I assume there's something in their RFP or Spec that other manufacturers (especially Pierce, Seagrave) don't want to deal with. Just wondering.........

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeadOff View Post
    Anyone have any insight as to why only FFA put in a bid for the FDNY Resuce units? I assume there's something in their RFP or Spec that other manufacturers (especially Pierce, Seagrave) don't want to deal with. Just wondering.........
    The thing i keep hearing floating around is the FDNY has some pretty extreme warranty terms. I heard on the ladder contract it was like 5 years bumper to bumper. When you take into account some FDNY units have more calls in a week then many entire departments do in a month as well as the fact they deal with extreme conditions, from long freezing winters to 90+ summers, road salt, rough roads, and very agressive tactics. It can be rough on equipment. Most FDNY apparatus i see shows this wear. I can understand why some manufacturers might not want the aggrivation for a smal order. It's bad enough you have to pay for all those repairs, but your reputation is at stake. Lot's of manufacturers love to tout they supply the FDNY, but nobody wants to be known as having been dumped by them because of a product that cannot hold up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    The thing i keep hearing floating around is the FDNY has some pretty extreme warranty terms. I heard on the ladder contract it was like 5 years bumper to bumper. When you take into account some FDNY units have more calls in a week then many entire departments do in a month as well as the fact they deal with extreme conditions, from long freezing winters to 90+ summers, road salt, rough roads, and very agressive tactics. It can be rough on equipment. Most FDNY apparatus i see shows this wear. I can understand why some manufacturers might not want the aggrivation for a smal order. It's bad enough you have to pay for all those repairs, but your reputation is at stake. Lot's of manufacturers love to tout they supply the FDNY, but nobody wants to be known as having been dumped by them because of a product that cannot hold up.
    That's about what I thought and had heard something to this effect previously. Well, if the FDNY had problems with the Seagraves holding up, it should be very interesting with the Ferrara units! It may be more of a warranty work/service issue with the Seagraves. I know that Seagrave has been having a lot of problems with their service centers in certain parts of the country in getting the job done.

Forum Member

I think it just comes down to how much the company wants to work with the FDNY. Seagrave has so many rigs with them that it is obviously worth it to them. But to a struggling company, selling 20 ladders witha 5 year bumper to bumper warranty to a department who is notoriously hard on gear may not be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    What is NYFD? Never heard of it.

Or Seagraves Fire Apparatus.

Or Cummings Diesel Engines.

YIKES! Im sorry...

You asked and I answered. Like I said, I am not too familiar with their purchasing procedures.

NEIOWA, is they an issue with this product that we do not know about?
    Sorry didn't mean to sound like I was yelling at you. Just stating facts.

Forum Member

Question FDNY Rigs !

With Seagrave not getting the last two contracts from New York city, will there be more layoffs. things just don't look good for Seagrave Fire Apparatus these days !!

Forum Member

But would Segrave really be losing money, think they probably got sick of the high demands, and the cash that needs to be forked out to keep rigs on the road with the strict warranty issues.

I know there was a couple HP pumpers in the fleet, are they still going ?

Quote Originally Posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
    With Seagrave not getting the last two contracts from New York city, will there be more layoffs. things just don't look good for Seagrave Fire Apparatus these days !!
    What are the two contracts....The rearmounts and what else????

Thread Information