Thread: Volunteering

Forum Member

Default Volunteering

Where do you take the EMT-B course? I know they offer it at the community college and I know firefighter I is done at the academy... Is EMT-B done at the academy too?

Also, on the website, it shows what dates and days the classes are on for training but doesn't show the times. Whats up with that?

MembersZone Subscriber

Need a little more info. What website and academy are you referring to?

In Maryland, courses are offered by MFRI. They are usually held at one of the local volunteer departments. You can take both FF1 and EMT through MFRI. Most are held on weeknights, usually from 19:00 until 22:00. They have a few saturday classes thrown in there too.

Forum Member

AACO... http://www.aacounty.org/Fire/Trainin...ists/Index.cfm

I have some concerns though, I've always wanted to be a firefighter but I plan on going away to college and play college football... I could come back during my breaks and volunteer, basically christmas and summer break are when I could volly... Would a dept be willing to work with me and keep me on board? Or should I not even pursue this at all and wait until after college?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DuckOnQuack View Post
    AACO... http://www.aacounty.org/Fire/Trainin...ists/Index.cfm

I have some concerns though, I've always wanted to be a firefighter but I plan on going away to college and play college football... I could come back during my breaks and volunteer, basically christmas and summer break are when I could volly... Would a dept be willing to work with me and keep me on board? Or should I not even pursue this at all and wait until after college?
    As a volunteer, you would most likely go through MFRI courses instead of the academy, although I don't know how AA works, so I could be wrong.

Some departments might be willing to work with your schedule and some may not. Depending on where you go to school, you might be able to volunteer there. The only way to find out is to talk with the department you are interested in volunteering with.

Forum Member

Well, I live in Annapolis and I would be going away to college in the Bronx, NY... I don't think FDNY has volunteers. Why do they offer EMT-B at the community college then and say you must be affilated with a fire dept to take it if all courses given to firefirghters in AACO are given by MFRI? Thats kinda what I'm asking I guess.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Well.............

To be a practicing EMT in Maryland, you MUST be affiliated with a Provider Organization....... A FD, VFD, or Private Ambulance Company. The Community Colleges run an EMT Class for the same reasons they do everything else. Money. The state's Fire Service groups are looking at a Law that would end the Community College involvement. I've met people who were taking EMT at the Community College when they do their "Ride-Alongs" as part of the Course. Most of them are Clueless as to what they want to be when they grow up. None of the ones I've talked to want anything to do with the Fire/Rescue Service, and a few weren't (They Said) aware that their EMT Certificate was worthless without Affiliation. My advice would be to: A- Put this on hold til after College, and, B- Go to the University of MARYLAND.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

FDNY doesn't have any volunteers, but there are still several volunteer companies in the city. I don't have the list, though.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Ok well I haven't gotten back to neone in a while... im taking emt at the fire academy thru mfri. I'm in mod 6... almost done. thanks tho guys.

Forum Member

FDNY doesn't have any volunteers, but there are still several volunteer companies in the city. I don't have the list, though.

There are 11 volunteer departments around the city. 9 are located along the shore areas of Queens and Brooklyn, as well as Staten Island, and there are 2 in "da Bronx".

They each have a different relationship with the FDNY. Several, especially those on the fringes of the city near "da' shore" were setup before the FDNY started providing services and have continued on as first response organizations and supplemental manpower, e3specially for large brush and beach grass fires along the shore as well as structural response. A couple have some pretty significant equipment.

Several of them also provide EMS transport.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 04-18-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Added info

Forum Member

Well.... I take the test the 27th and have all my five rides done with and have to write reports on them... hopfully I pass and get to wear the patch

Thread Information