Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Air Force FF questions

Hi, I've been reading post after post trying to find my answers, but I guess I really just need to ask the questions I need answered. I have currently became certified as FF 2 in Florida, I'm also nationally certified EMT-B, and have an AA degree. I want to join the Air Force due to all the awesome training and benefits, but I want to do 4-6 years and then come out and be a civilian FF in Florida. Here are my questions...

1. How do I keep my FF2 certification for Florida from being expired if I join the AF as a Firefighter? (The paper that came with my cert says I have 3 years until expiration, you keep your cert if: 1. You are hired as a firefighter 2. You at least do 6 consecutive months of volunteer fire service. If you fail to do these you must take a renewal practical FF exam...)

2. Will any of the certifications in the AF be able to transfer to a civilian job as a FF in Florida?

3. If any of you live in Florida you know how hard getting a job as a FF/EMT is...Will joining the AF really give me an edge when I get out? Or will I be back to square one?

I'm sure I will have a lot more questions in the future. Thank you all for your advise and time.

Forum Member

1. How do I keep my FF2 certification for Florida from being expired if I join the AF as a Firefighter? (The paper that came with my cert says I have 3 years until expiration, you keep your cert if: 1. You are hired as a firefighter 2. You at least do 6 consecutive months of volunteer fire service. If you fail to do these you must take a renewal practical FF exam...)

- Call your FL state fire administration or fire academy and ask that question. They would be the experts in that field.

2. Will any of the certifications in the AF be able to transfer to a civilian job as a FF in Florida?

- Not normally. FL is not an IFSAC state, however, calling the above named agency will be able to give you better clarification. CA is also not an IFSAC state, however, for a small sum of money and paperwork, you can get FF1 and maybe FF2 reciprocity for CA FF1 & 2.

3. If any of you live in Florida you know how hard getting a job as a FF/EMT is...Will joining the AF really give me an edge when I get out? Or will I be back to square one?

- You will have an edge regardless if FL takes your certs or not. Military with veteran points is always a plus vs. the dude straight off the street. Certs, no matter where they came from, look good on a resume, and lastly, you will have paid experience which also looks good on a resume.

I'm sure I will have a lot more questions in the future. Thank you all for your advise and time.

- Ask away.

Thread Information