Forum Member

Default Hello Need Help!

Ok.. so im looking to become a firefighter but i have the issue of being deaf in my left year completely cannot hear out of it and 100% hearing in my right ear. and im just wondering what are the chances of me becoming a firefighter? because i was searching around and it says you need to have "Normal unaided hearing" was in a requirement. so does this mean that i am screwed?

Answers from Qualified individuals who know what there talking about please. i want the facts not some BS you have a "Chance" or something to that effect.

Forum Member

Found this in the NFPA

6.5 Ears and Hearing.

6.5.1 Category A medical conditions shall include the following:

(1) Chronic vertigo or impaired balance as demonstrated by the inability to tandem gait walk
    (2) On audiometric testing, average hearing loss in the unaided better ear greater than 40 decibels (dB) at 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, 2000 HZ, and 3000 Hz when the audiometric device is calibrated to ANSI Z24.5, Audiometric Device Testing
    (3) Any ear condition (or hearing impairment) that results in the candidate not being able to safely perform one or more of the essential job tasks

not 100% sure what this means heh so if someone could link my first post to this that would help

Another one is

A hearing deficit in the pure tone thresholds in the unaided worst ear of no more than the
    following

so.. unaided worst ear.. meaning my completely deaf ear. right? so obv i cant
    Last edited by abiddar; 11-25-2009 at 09:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by abiddar View Post
    Answers from Qualified individuals who know what there talking about please. i want the facts not some BS you have a "Chance" or something to that effect.
    Accept advice much?

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111781 (Question About Being a FireFighter)

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    ...As for the hearing issue, you should figure out which departments you may want to test for and ask them what the requirements are for the hearing....

Forum Member

how do i go about talking to them? do they have a person i should call

Thread Information