MembersZone Subscriber

Default London's biggest Fire in over 40 years.

Crews were called to a fire on a building site early this morning in Peckham, South London which is we think the largest fire in the memory of serving LFB personnel, possibly the largest since the Eldon Street Fire in the 1960's.

The fire was in a four storey wooden framed apartment block under construction that was surrounded by existing properties. The fire was well established upon arrival of the first crews and spread to several more buildings. The fire was a 30 Pump job, although we have 30 Pump Fires a couple of times per year, no one can recall a fire involving so much property. The 30 Pump attendance was augmented by another 10 Pump 'immediate relief' essentially making it a 40 Pump Fire.

'Stop' Message below

SUP~STOP FROM ASST COMMISSIONER TUREK
    A BUILDING SITE COVERING AN AREA OF APPROX 300 X 300FT, 100% D X F
    A BLOCK OF MAISONETTES OF 4 FLOORS, 210 X 60FT 100% D X F, WHOLE OF ROOF OFF
    A BLOCK OF MAISONETTES OF 4 FLOORS, 210 X 60FT, 50% D X F AND 25% OF ROOF OFF
    A BLOCK OF MAISONETTES OF 4 FLOORS, 130 X 50FT, 5% OF GROUND, FIRST AND SECOND FLOORS DXF
    A BLOCK OF MAISONETTES OF 4 FLOORS, 130 X 50FT, 5% OF SECOND FLOOR D X F
    A PUBLIC HOUSE OF 2 FLOORS AND BASEMENT, 75 X 30FT, 100% D X F, WHOLE OF ROOF OFF
    SINGLE STOREY COMMUNITY CENTRE, 75 X 45FT, 10% D X F
    14 MOTOR VEHICLES AND 1 MECHANICAL DIGGER D X F
    2 X 50KG PROPANE CYLINDERS EXPLODED
    BA MAIN CONTROL, 4 X AERIAL MONITORS, 3 X GROUND MONITORS, 10 HAND HELD JETS, TIC
    APPROX 310 PERSONS EVACUATED TO 3 WELFARE CENTRES
    4 FEMALES REMOVED BY LAS TO HOSPITAL AND 2 MALE POLICE OFFICERS REMOVED BY LAS - ALL SUFFERING SMOKE INHALATION
    ALL PERSONS NOT YET ACCOUNTED FOR
    SALVAGE AND VENTILATION OPERATIONS BEING CARRIED OUT
    SAAC TACTICAL MODE OSCAR + ~~
    That is a lot of fire in anyone's book.

BBC London News
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Forum Member

Bloody Hell!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Just read this and saw some footage over at IACOJ ... Martinm was asking for you, Steve.

Hope everyone continues to stay safe.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

I am off on leave.... I wouldn't have been scheduled on duty overnight, but would probably have picked up a relief onto the job today.

There was also an 8 Pump Fire going on in a factory in West London, so the Boys and Girls had a night of it.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

MembersZone Subscriber

4 X AERIAL MONITORS, 3 X GROUND MONITORS, 10 HAND HELD JETS

Jet is a nozzle?

Only 4 aerials? Only 3x monitors? Different than a US response.

I see "under construction". You have the ELF wackos & Luddites active in the UK?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    I see "under construction". You have the ELF wackos & Luddites active in the UK?
    Or a developer in over his head.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post

4 X AERIAL MONITORS, 3 X GROUND MONITORS, 10 HAND HELD JETS

Jet is a nozzle?

Only 4 aerials? Only 3x monitors? Different than a US response.

Yup,
    Much less water... always have managed with much less water... especially when we had most of the City alight, a low tide on the Thames and every water main blown by German Bombs.

Seriously though, we have nothing like the high volume water mains you have in US Cities. Our water Mains are victorian and failing fast... there is an ongoing programme to replace them, but in a City that is 620 square miles that is a hell of a lot of roads that need digging up. Consequently mains pressure is low to reduce the risk of bursts.

Anything more than an Aerial Monitor and a couple of 2.75" handlines and we often have to consider a Hoselayer running a LD supply from other mains in the area. Usually a big main road with a 36" water main, or get a Hiogh Volume Pump to draft from an open supply and pump it through 5" hose to the job.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Forum Member

Ah,Stevie--the good old days!
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Forum Member

so how many pumps do you send on a typical structure fire? Obviously 30 pumps is a lot, I'm just curious how that would relate to the U.S. way of describing it in terms of alarms.

MembersZone Subscriber

The inital call for a property fire will attract a two Pump attendance. If the job is receiving multiple calls an additional couple of Pumps will be ordered along with a Chief and a Command Unit.

Using example sof a few jobs I've been on in recent times I'll try to make some comparisons for you...

A large house well involved or a decent domestic high rise job will usually be a 6 Pump Fire.

A small factory unit or a complex high rise is a good example of an 8 Pump Fire.

10 Pumps would be typical of a row of stores with property above involved in a fire or a fire in a small single storey school.

a decent size warehouse fire or a fire in a complex commercial building or one invoilving a large church with the roof on fire would be typical of a 15-20 Pump Fire.

Things such as large fires in Hospitals, refinery fires*, a department store are in the 25-30 Pump region.

The above doesn't take account of the number of Aerials or Rescue untis required which will also be ordered on a ad-hoc basis as they are required.

Hope this helps!

* The largest Fire in the UK (and possibly Europe) since the war was at the Buncefiled Oil Terminal in Hertfordshire in 2005. The intial fire had over 100 Pumps from Hertfordshire, London, Essex and other Brigades attending. During the following days the fire was brought under control using equipment and Crews from the UK's other large petrochemical sites assisted by Fire Crews from the surrounding counties.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Forum Member

London's somewhere in Europe, right?
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post

Just a suggestion Johnny, but don't come to England and state something like that on Trafalgar Square. It may be perceived by some to be akin to someone from NYC going to Texas and suggesting they tear down that Alamo thingy and get some urban renewal going.

Forum Member

Nice. Lol!

Forum Member

Talking

naw" it's in ontario! about halfway across the 401

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDude View Post
    The inital call for a property fire will attract a two Pump attendance. If the job is receiving multiple calls an additional couple of Pumps will be ordered along with a Chief and a Command Unit.

Using example sof a few jobs I've been on in recent times I'll try to make some comparisons for you...

A large house well involved or a decent domestic high rise job will usually be a 6 Pump Fire.

A small factory unit or a complex high rise is a good example of an 8 Pump Fire.

10 Pumps would be typical of a row of stores with property above involved in a fire or a fire in a small single storey school.

a decent size warehouse fire or a fire in a complex commercial building or one invoilving a large church with the roof on fire would be typical of a 15-20 Pump Fire.

Things such as large fires in Hospitals, refinery fires*, a department store are in the 25-30 Pump region.

The above doesn't take account of the number of Aerials or Rescue untis required which will also be ordered on a ad-hoc basis as they are required.

Hope this helps!

* The largest Fire in the UK (and possibly Europe) since the war was at the Buncefiled Oil Terminal in Hertfordshire in 2005. The intial fire had over 100 Pumps from Hertfordshire, London, Essex and other Brigades attending. During the following days the fire was brought under control using equipment and Crews from the UK's other large petrochemical sites assisted by Fire Crews from the surrounding counties.
    that explanation definitely helps me understand the difference between how we dispatch, but its still a bit confusing.

so in london if someone calls in a fire aerials and rescues aren't on the initial alarm?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    that explanation definitely helps me understand the difference between how we dispatch, but its still a bit confusing.

so in london if someone calls in a fire aerials and rescues aren't on the initial alarm?
    Its similar in some areas here. A single family home may only get 2 pumpers, possibly a rescue or aerial mainly for manpower plus an ambulance. Very dependent on the area.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nameless,
    Yes you are right although it isn't that clear cut. We only use aerials for what they are... High reach rescue ladder or platform/water towers, therefore without the specific engine/truck way of working this negates the need for so many of them. Although I am the first to admit we now have way too few... We had 25 in London (out of 114 Stations) when I joined, that is now shockingly down to 11)

Pretty much most of Central London will attract a 3 Pump 1 aerial initial call. But the vast majority of London... the Inner city areas and suburbs they are on request only.

As for the Rescue's... we actually have a lot of these compared to other Big Cities... 16 in LFB. And I am not talking some Rescue/Ambulance thing, I mean proper Heavy Rescues with tons of cutting gear, line rescue, boat, Hazmat, CBRN eqpt. Although they are not on any intial call to fires, they will go on a 'make up' (further alarm) job at 6 Pumps. And then we'll often operate with two or more... for example, the tragic apartment block fire in July of this year where 6 people died... this was an 18 Pump Fire with 2 aerials but 9 Rescue's due to the requirement for EDBA which they carry.

These things are on the inital call to most special services though... such as MVA's, Persons trapped, Hazmat's, suspicious packages and so on.

Anymore questions feel free to PM me mate, I don't think discussions about the UK Fire Service/The UK in general are always that warmly received on here... thus I don't post often
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDude View Post

Anymore questions feel free to PM me mate, I don't think discussions about the UK Fire Service/The UK in general are always that warmly received on here... thus I don't post often
    SteveDude,

I would bet there are plenty of lurkers like me who really enjoy reading about how you guys work. I have thoroughly enjoyed the posts by you and martinm. Don't let a couple of "wankers" scare you off.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    SteveDude,

I would bet there are plenty of lurkers like me who really enjoy reading about how you guys work. I have thoroughly enjoyed the posts by you and martinm. Don't let a couple of "wankers" scare you off.
    I agree 100%. If someone isn't interested in something they don't have to read it. But many of us here like reading about something different and new. Keep it up Steve.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    SteveDude,

Agreed. I too enjoy reading about the UK Fire Service. I always talk to Brothers from across the pond when they stop by our quarters.....just as long as they are MILLWALL fans!!!!!
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

I too enjoy the exploits of our brothers(and sisters)across the pond. Even if you guys do have a weird way of doing things,hehe. Keep the reports coming! T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    Just a suggestion Johnny, but don't come to England and state something like that on Trafalgar Square. It may be perceived by some to be akin to someone from NYC going to Texas and suggesting they tear down that Alamo thingy and get some urban renewal going.
    I don't think they give people from New York passports, anymore.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

It's a weird old place,mate. It gave you the language you speak(but in your case not very well).
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

MembersZone Subscriber

^^^ lmao!!
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    Agreed. I too enjoy reading about the UK Fire Service. I always talk to Brothers from across the pond when they stop by our quarters.....just as long as they are MILLWALL fans!!!!!
    I am a West Ham fan... did you see what happened the last time they met?

West Ham vs Millwall

"Facking Sarf Lahdahners" (Sorry H)

^Translates to "F***ing South Londoners"
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Thread Information