Forum Member

Default Operational costs

I need a number and it does not need to be super accurate. What is the average cost to operate a firetruck minus firefighters? This can be in cost per hour, per mpg, per year, etc. Needs to take in account fuel, preventive maintenance, repairs, etc. Wife needs it for a paper about reducing costs by reducing service runs.

Forum Member

Without knowing the demographics of the community or the Departments standard operating procedures, I would think this question could not be answered.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Like I said, does not need to be too accurate. Demo for my district is inner-city, poor, and our chief will make us go on anything.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shovelshort View Post
    Like I said, does not need to be too accurate. Demo for my district is inner-city, poor, and our chief will make us go on anything.
    Since when does the Chief make the call to make a run or not, when you have been dispatched by 911 or whoever???

If your not dispatched, then you should stay home.

FM1

EDIT: I tried to get a dollar number for you, but as FWD said, it's hard to answer without knowing your specifics.
    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 11-28-2009 at 03:01 AM.
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

I need a number and it does not need to be super accurate. What is the average cost to operate a firetruck minus firefighters? This can be in cost per hour, per mpg, per year, etc. Needs to take in account fuel, preventive maintenance, repairs, etc. Wife needs it for a paper about reducing costs by reducing service runs.
    Doesnt FEMA post costs list each year? I thought they did and I've seen the list. Try contacting your local EM cooridnator.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=FIREMECH1;1117230]Since when does the Chief make the call to make a run or not, when you have been dispatched by 911 or whoever???

I don't know where you work, but here our Chief determines the run cards. If some jerk calls 911 and says he has a light bulb burned out, we have to go. That is what I meant by, he makes us go on everything. Thanks for the smart *** answer.

Forum Member

Thanks farmerfire1156. I found exactly what I was looking for on FEMA's website. A 1500gpm engine costs roughly $95 and hour to operate.

Forum Member

Thanks farmerfire1156. I found exactly what I was looking for on FEMA's website. A 1500gpm engine costs roughly $95 and hour to operate.
    Dont know much, I just know enough I guess. Glad to have helped. We use this figure to roughly show how much it is costing our dept to run each call. It helps to show how we are using tax payers $$.

Forum Member

add up cost of fuel, hours spent in shop X wage of mechanics X number of mechanics working on truck, cost of replacement parts, cost of assorted fluids. Divide that by the number of miles driven or by the hours operated, depending on if you want a per mile cost or a per hour cost.

that should give you a rough estimate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shovelshort
    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1
    since when does the chief make the call to make a run or not, when you have been dispatched by 911 or whoever???

i don't know where you work, but here our chief determines the run cards. If some jerk calls 911 and says he has a light bulb burned out, we have to go. That is what i meant by, he makes us go on everything. Thanks for the smart *** answer.
    Wasn't trying to be a smartass. But if you're making burned out light bulb runs, someone is a dumbass.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Your wife needs it for reducing cost for services runs???

Who is your wife, a member of the council or supervisors that will eliminate service for the department?

What role does she play in this?

Explain you term for service runs pal.

There are many and various cost to operate any fire department apparatus.

The cost of the vehicle is on top, then insurance, fuel, maintenance, tools and appliances carried on the rig, they all add up.

Let say you buy a pumper for $750,000.00 and it sits in the house making only 100 runs per year. It's still cost the full dollar amount, plus the other stuff I mention.

How long will your department keep this pumper? 15, 20, 25, 30 years??

Now if you are a paid department the cost of the members who have been hired to man this pumper must be factored in and all other related cost such as their benefits. Oh don't forget the cost of the fire house and its up keep, electric, water and other things.

A big investment.

Plus if your chief says you go to this, then by all means respond or go on the call.

BTW - You started the thread by asking a question. Don't be thin skinned when others ask you questions to your question.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information