1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    UTFFEMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Park City, Utah

    Post Cave Rescue turns Fatal in Utah County

    Man trapped in Utah County's Nutty Putty cave die
    sBy Lana Groves and Emiley Morgan

    Orem and Provo along with personeel from all over Northern Utah assisted in Rescue attempts.

    Deseret News

    Published: Thursday, Nov. 26, 2009 4:37 p.m. MST
    ELBERTA, Utah County — Despite more than a full day of rescue efforts, John Edward Jones died around midnight Wednesday while trapped in a tight section of Nutty Putty Cave. He leaves behind a wife and a baby daughter, and a second child expected in June.

    According to a family statement released Thursday, Jones will be remembered for "his good nature, delightful sense of humor, strong work ethic, a genuine love of people, a masterful ability to relate to children, a love of and unwavering faith in the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and his commitment to his family as an amazing husband, father, son and brother."

    The family – including Jones' wife and daughter, parents, four brothers, two sisters and 16 nieces and nephews – said in the statement that they are grateful for the rescue efforts and know officials "did all they could to get John out," including singing Primary songs to help get him through the night.

    "We'll never fully understand how or why it was John's time to leave us. But we find comfort knowing that he fulfilled his purpose here on Earth, and that we will be reunited with him again," the family stated, adding thanks to many people and agencies that have helped them and Jones. "Thank you, and God bless all of you on this Thanksgiving Day."

    Story continues below
    Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Eldon Packer said Jones, 26, became unresponsive before midnight and had difficulty breathing several hours before. Shortly after midnight a rescuer was able to get close enough to confirm the Stansbury Park man had died.

    "The emotional factor alone will have a toll on the rescuers," Sgt. Spencer Cannon said. "We weren't able to get him out quick enough."

    The recovery effort was shut down for the night. Sheriff's deputies returned to the site Thursday morning. Once a plan has been determined, Cannon said the rescuers will arrive and continue doing the same work they did in the 27 hours leading up to Jones' death as his body is still stuck in the same crevice.

    "We're still in the uncertainty phase in terms of how they're going to bring Jones out," Cannon said Thursday. "We're back to where we were (during the) 27 hours, and once we get him unstuck it's still a two or three hour process of getting him back up."

    In the meantime, sheriff's officials have declared the cave a public hazard. They've closed all access to the area and it will be guarded by uniformed deputies. Cannon said they are considering closing the cave permanently but have not made a concrete decision.

    The death of Jones, the first in the cave to date, prompted officials to reevaluate the monitoring of the cave since it became a controlled access point in 2004.
    Though Cannon said they were able to get some air-powered tools into the cave to chip away at some of the rock that trapped him, Jones most likely died from the pressure on his body and his inability to breathe. He was wedged around his mid-torso and upper hip area.

    "Due to the circumstances with his body being held the way it was and being wedged, it was most likely difficult to get a full deep breath," Cannon said. "It would have affected his ability to breathe adequately."

    Rescuers first responded to the call about Jones around 9 p.m. Tuesday. Jones had entered the caves with a group of 11 others, but decided to explore a different route, his brother Josh Jones said.

    Josh Jones said his brother continued through the tight passageway known as the Birth Canal to Bob's Push, described by police as an 18-inch by 10-inch "L-shaped pinpoint."

    Shawn Roundy, a rescuer with Utah County Sheriff's Office, said they had difficulty reaching John Jones, as he was stuck in "absolutely the worst spot in the cave."

    "It's very narrow, very awkward, and it's difficult to get rescuers down there," Roundy said Wednesday evening. "It's a really tight spot, but we've been able to get around him. We were able to hold his hand at some point."

    Story continues below
    He said they were able to free Jones initially using a rope-pulley system. At that point, Jones had been hanging, headfirst, at a 70- or 80-degree angle for more than eight hours, said Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Tom Hodgson.

    It was around 4:30 p.m. Wednesday when rescuers got him loose. They were able to give him an IV, food and water. He also received a needed morale boost after he was able to talk to his wife over a police radio.

    For a few hours there were sighs of tentative relief. They finally cracked open the boxes of pizza and cases of water, and broke out in smiles suggesting the worst was over.

    That only lasted for a few hours.

    Once Jones was free of the 18-by-10-inch crevice, rescuers said an "equipment failure" caused the rope system that was hoisting the man out of the cave to drop him back into the same, narrow gap.

    Thursday morning, rescuers were able to determine that the equipment failure occurred because one of the anchors that had been drilled into the rock had come undone.

    "It must have been the integrity of the rock because the anchors are usually quite reliable," Cannon said. "It wasn't how they put things together."

    By late Wednesday night, after 24 hours of rescue attempts, those trying to save Jones were essentially back to square one.

    Efforts to free Jones involved the aid of more than 100 rescue workers from agencies all over the state. Responders were on the remote scene Tuesday night within an hour of receiving calls from family members.
    Josh Jones said that once he first realized his brother was stuck, his first instinct was to pray. Those in the cave offered what he called a "series of prayers" before making the decision to call 911 around 9:30 p.m.

    His family remained with him at the scene, later joined by his parents and his wife. They were able to communicate with him using a radio network set up by police. The family left the area early Thursday after they were informed of Jones' death, but Cannon said the family was "incredibly solid."

    "They've been very supportive through the whole thing," Cannon said Thursday. "They're very understanding that the rescuers did all they could."

    Rescue crews from the Utah County sheriff's search and rescue team, in addition to fire officials from Goshen and Santaquin and caving experts, answered the call to offer assistance at the cave, located on the west side of Utah Lake. Rescue workers from Midvale, Salt Lake City, West Valley City, South Jordan and other agencies were also on the scene.

    Officials said John Jones, a University of Virginia medical school student home visiting his family in Stansbury Park for Thanksgiving, was able to keep his spirits relatively high throughout most of the ordeal.

    Story continues below
    "He's been really tough under the circumstances," Josh Jones said Wednesday afternoon. "There were periods of panic, disorientation, but he's in good spirits now."

    But after the malfunction returned him to the same crevice where he'd been stuck for 24 hours, Cannon said the situation was "tenuous at best." As of late Wednesday night, Jones was lodged in a crevice about 125 feet below ground level and as much as 700 feet into the cave.

    "He's not in great shape physically, there's a lot of pressure on his upper body and back — but he's been amazingly resilient and he has incredibly high spirits under the circumstances."

    He said some rescuers had been on the scene for a full 24 hours, but that there were people from close to a dozen different organizations who could relieve them.

    "As long as he's in there, there will be people in there with him working."

    The Nutty Putty Cave is actually a hole on the top of a hill about seven miles west of state Road 68.

    In 2004, three rescues were conducted there. In each case, explorers had become stuck and were extracted with no serious injuries. The incidents, however, led the Utah School and Institutional Trust Lands Administration, which owns the land, to make the cave a controlled access area.

    Cave enthusiast Jon Jasper, who helped survey the popular Utah County grotto in 2003, said this rescue effort was the fifth in the cave's history. Past fears for injured explorers led to requirements for a permit system and the cave being shut down in May 2006.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by UTFFEMT; 11-26-2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Add Text
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    UTFFEMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Park City, Utah

    Post Cavers Fighting to keep Nutty Putty Open

    Cavers fighting to keep Nutty Putty open
    December 2nd, 2009 @ 3:09pm
    By Randall Jeppesen
    UTAH COUNTY -- A growing number of cavers are trying to find ways to persuade officials to keep the Nutty Putty caves open.

    Benjamin Allen has been in the Nutty Putty caves dozens of times and says he used to take therapy groups there to teach people how to overcome fears and gain confidence.

    "I think it's done so much good for so many people, because as they go in there it's just like conquering a climbing wall or something. You feel confident. You've done something that you were afraid to do. Shutting the caves would be a great loss to all of us," Allen says.

    He's proposing only the lower sections of the caves be sealed off, and he's even willing to pay to have it done himself.

    "I would pay for it and take people in there, and we could close off the bottom section," Allen says. "The rest of the cave could still remain open.

    Michael Douglas takes nature groups through Nutty Putty and says he's been in the caves at least 45 times in the past 10 years with kids as young as 5 years old.

    "We're in mourning. We are very disappointed to see this shut down," Douglas says. "There are other caving opportunities in the area, but Nutty Putty is a very unique feature and we hope that if there is the opportunity to keep it open that somebody might hear us and might open that discussion as quickly as possible.

    The email address savenuttyputtycave@gmail.com has been set up by a group hoping to keep the caves open, and they're directing their efforts toward the State Trust Lands Management which owns the property.

    Sgt. Spencer Cannon with the Utah County Sheriff's office says his office is receiving phone calls from people upset by the caves' closure. However, he says the decision made by the groups overseeing the caves -- including the sheriff's office and the State Trust Lands -- will be enforced and the caves sealed off.

    "We understand that people like to go there, and we don't take likely a decision to shut off an attraction that has been popular to so many people," Cannon says. "But the determination was made that the risk was just too high to leave it open."

    Cannon says during the process, agencies did discuss closing only the portion of the cave where John Jones died but decided there were many different sections of the cave that also were dangerous.

    The idea was also brought up to close the cave for 10 or more years and then go in and recover the remains and open the rest of the cave back up. Cannon says that was decided against as well in part because the body is stuck in a steep area that is difficult to get to and the remains might fall deeper where they can never be recovered.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009


    Are they going to prohibit people from rock climbing also? This is just asinine. People can die doing the simplest things in the safest placed in the world. I'm sure that somewhere this fall someone died after a tree branch fell on them while they were walking down a trail. Should we cut down all the trees or burn the forest down to prevent that one rare event from happening again? Hundreds of people die in boating accidents every year but we don't shut down a lake after a boating accident.

    When only a few people a year die in caving accidents its real hard to have the statistics to say that one cave is more dangerous than another.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    RspctFrmCalgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!


    Heartbreaking for all those involved in the rescue attempt.
    September 11th - Never Forget

    I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

    Honorary Flatlander


  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008


    Quote Originally Posted by UTFFEMT View Post
    The idea was also brought up to close the cave for 10 or more years and then go in and recover the remains and open the rest of the cave back up. Cannon says that was decided against as well in part because the body is stuck in a steep area that is difficult to get to and the remains might fall deeper where they can never be recovered.

    Wait? They did not get this guys body out? To put it bluntly, if this person is deceased but attached to ropes, how can they not recover this body? Their is obviously no risk of injury to the person anymore.

    And i have a question for the Technical rescue folks. If you have a victim who is wedged in a rock crevice and their seems to be no way to pull them out without causing further injury, BUT, doing nothing will only lead to them dying anyhow. Why not just using the ropes attached to his legs pull like hell. Sure, based on him being wedged around his chest and waist their is potential for ligament damage, possibly broken bones and lacerations. But those seem pretty minor compared to the alternative, dying. I know as rescuers you try and do everything you can to avoid further injuries, but when you are faced with the situation of "Try anything Vs. Death" what do you have to lose?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cave Rescue
    By coldfront in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 11:37 PM
  2. Utah-4 young people killed in Cave in Provo
    By UTFFEMT in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2005, 12:44 PM
  3. Utah-Fatal Salt lake County House Fire
    By UTFFEMT in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-05-2004, 01:26 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2000, 10:24 PM
  5. Cave Rescue
    By billy in forum Specialized Rescue
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-1999, 11:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register