Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default 85 Rounds In The Car???

Man Faces Years In Canadian Jail For Little-Known Law

Canadians will welcome you and your money when the winter Olympics begin in February. But trying to take something else across the border could land you in jail.

Gerald Burke of Tacoma knows that first hand, and is facing an uncertain future because of it.

“The charge that the Crown is after is that I do three years in prison,” he told KIRO 7 Investigative Reporter Amy Clancy recently.

Burke says it was a simple mistake, but the Canadian government calls what Burke allegedly did a serious criminal offense.

Burke remembers the day in February when he was arrested while crossing into British Columbia at the Peace Arch: “Mr. Burke, put your hands behind your back. You are under arrest for smuggling a gun into Canada.”

Burke's loaded semi-automatic 9-millimeter handgun was discovered by Canada Border Services Agency officers in the center console of his SUV. Burke is licensed to carry a concealed weapon in the states, but Canadian laws dictate all firearms must be declared at the border. Handguns are strictly prohibited.

Clancy asked Burke, “did you know that it was in your vehicle at the time?”
    Burke: “I did not.” Clancy: “Did you just forget?”
    Burke: “I just forgot.”

The CBSA declined Clancy’s request for an interview, but the agency's investigation reveals that Burke seemed nervous at the border crossing and had a hard time answering questions.

Once the weapon was found, Burke was handcuffed and put in a cell. He spent eight days in jail before being allowed bail.

His wife of 26 years, Kelli Burke, says she couldn't even speak with him for five days.

“The last thing we heard when we were up there was the prosecutor saying she wouldn’t be happy without a year in prison for him.”

Burke is now charged with five criminal counts, including gun smuggling, lying to border guards, and possessing 85 rounds of ammunition 'for a purpose dangerous to the public peace or for the purpose of committing an offence."

Peter Ritchie, Burke’s Vancouver-based attorney, tells Clancy “if you have a gun in this country, it is considered to be a very serious matter.”

Ritchie believes that most Americans, including gun owners, have no idea how different U.S. and Canadian gun laws are.

“If you come to Canada,” Ritchie said outside a courthouse in Surrey, B.C., “it’s a whole different ballgame here, and you face one year minimum in jail. Even though you may be the sweetest citizen that walked the earth, that’s what you’re looking at here.”

Burke has no criminal history, is a long-time church missionary, and a married father of three. After he was arrested, dozens of Burke's friends and family members wrote to the BC court, asking for leniency. But Canadian gun laws are very strictly enforced.

In 2008, 191 firearms were seized from people crossing into B.C. and the Yukon. This past July, a Bremerton-based Navy sailor was sentenced to a year in jail after pleading guilty to gun smuggling. His BC lawyer, Kelly Merrigan, tells Clancy that he represents about three Americans per year, arrested for carrying handguns into Canada.

Blaine hardware store owner Jerry Wolten used to rent storage space where travelling American gun owners could lock up their weapons. He claims he’d have up to 30 guns stored at a time. Now, according to Wolten, U.S. regulations make it too difficult and too expensive. But he believes the need is still there, telling Clancy “how do you stress it enough to avoid all this? It has to be, just don’t bring it. But there’s not enough education.”

Burke's attorney, Peter Ritchie, agrees, saying “nobody’s going to warn you in advance. I don’t think there are billboards on the highway saying, hey! Don’t forget you’ve got your gun in your car, or you’re looking at a year in jail in this country.”

While Burke awaits his trial date next fall, he's warning others---especially before the Winter Olympics—“if for no other reason than to prevent one fellow American from going through the same thing that I have gone through. That would be reason enough to contact you” he told Clancy.

When Clancy and her photographer, Brian Doerflinger, crossed the border into Canada to work on this story, they looked for any signs warning Americans not to bring weapons. There are signs that tell you to keep right, watch for pedestrians and bicycles, and to “ThinkMetric.” But the only one warning against handguns is right under the Canadian border guard’s window, much too late to turn around.

If you'd like more information about Canadian gun laws, including how to apply to legally bring in hunting weapons, click on the following links.

Facts For Firearm Users Visiting Canada and U.S. Embassy Canada: Bringing Weapons Into Canada.
    Copyright 2009 by KIROTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have two questions...

1. Who "forgets" that they are carrying a handgun in the console?
    2. What kind of moron would think about carrying a weapon into another country without even considering the possibility that maybe, just maybe, it miight possibly be a problem?

Sorry. No sympathy.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I have two questions...

2. What kind of moron would think about carrying a weapon into another country without even considering the possibility that maybe, just maybe, it miight possibly be a problem?

Sorry. No sympathy.
    I agree.

No sympathy here either.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Posted by George
    I have two questions...

Sorry. No sympathy.

Posted by SC
    I agree.

No sympathy here either.
    Hell froze over again!

When wifey and I went to Nova Scotia on the Cat last summer, I had to fill out a Canadian customs declaration form prior to disembarking the vessel.

Prior to embarking on the vessel, Bay Ferries Security did an inspection of my vehicle. The first two questions they asked was "Do you have your passports" and "Do you have any firearms in your possession".

I have Brother Firefighters who go hunting in Canada.. Beleive me, they know the rules and follow them to the letter.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

What a dumbass. Same thing will happen if you get caught south of the border with a fire arm. Well at least Canada has nicer prisons than Mexico. Good Luck and have fun.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    What a dumbass. Same thing will happen if you get caught south of the border with a fire arm. Well at least Canada has nicer prisons than Mexico. Good Luck and have fun.

Hmmmm and you know this how?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Man Faces Years In Canadian Jail For Little-Known Law

Canadians will welcome you and your money when the winter Olympics begin in February. But trying to take something else across the border could land you in jail.

Gerald Burke of Tacoma knows that first hand, and is facing an uncertain future because of it.

“The charge that the Crown is after is that I do three years in prison,” he told KIRO 7 Investigative Reporter Amy Clancy recently.

Burke says it was a simple mistake, but the Canadian government calls what Burke allegedly did a serious criminal offense.

Burke remembers the day in February when he was arrested while crossing into British Columbia at the Peace Arch: “Mr. Burke, put your hands behind your back. You are under arrest for smuggling a gun into Canada.”

Burke's loaded semi-automatic 9-millimeter handgun was discovered by Canada Border Services Agency officers in the center console of his SUV. Burke is licensed to carry a concealed weapon in the states, but Canadian laws dictate all firearms must be declared at the border. Handguns are strictly prohibited.

Clancy asked Burke, “did you know that it was in your vehicle at the time?”
    Burke: “I did not.” Clancy: “Did you just forget?”
    Burke: “I just forgot.”

The CBSA declined Clancy’s request for an interview, but the agency's investigation reveals that Burke seemed nervous at the border crossing and had a hard time answering questions.

Once the weapon was found, Burke was handcuffed and put in a cell. He spent eight days in jail before being allowed bail.

His wife of 26 years, Kelli Burke, says she couldn't even speak with him for five days.

“The last thing we heard when we were up there was the prosecutor saying she wouldn’t be happy without a year in prison for him.”

Burke is now charged with five criminal counts, including gun smuggling, lying to border guards, and possessing 85 rounds of ammunition 'for a purpose dangerous to the public peace or for the purpose of committing an offence."

Peter Ritchie, Burke’s Vancouver-based attorney, tells Clancy “if you have a gun in this country, it is considered to be a very serious matter.”

Ritchie believes that most Americans, including gun owners, have no idea how different U.S. and Canadian gun laws are.

“If you come to Canada,” Ritchie said outside a courthouse in Surrey, B.C., “it’s a whole different ballgame here, and you face one year minimum in jail. Even though you may be the sweetest citizen that walked the earth, that’s what you’re looking at here.”

Burke has no criminal history, is a long-time church missionary, and a married father of three. After he was arrested, dozens of Burke's friends and family members wrote to the BC court, asking for leniency. But Canadian gun laws are very strictly enforced.

In 2008, 191 firearms were seized from people crossing into B.C. and the Yukon. This past July, a Bremerton-based Navy sailor was sentenced to a year in jail after pleading guilty to gun smuggling. His BC lawyer, Kelly Merrigan, tells Clancy that he represents about three Americans per year, arrested for carrying handguns into Canada.

Blaine hardware store owner Jerry Wolten used to rent storage space where travelling American gun owners could lock up their weapons. He claims he’d have up to 30 guns stored at a time. Now, according to Wolten, U.S. regulations make it too difficult and too expensive. But he believes the need is still there, telling Clancy “how do you stress it enough to avoid all this? It has to be, just don’t bring it. But there’s not enough education.”

Burke's attorney, Peter Ritchie, agrees, saying “nobody’s going to warn you in advance. I don’t think there are billboards on the highway saying, hey! Don’t forget you’ve got your gun in your car, or you’re looking at a year in jail in this country.”

While Burke awaits his trial date next fall, he's warning others---especially before the Winter Olympics—“if for no other reason than to prevent one fellow American from going through the same thing that I have gone through. That would be reason enough to contact you” he told Clancy.

When Clancy and her photographer, Brian Doerflinger, crossed the border into Canada to work on this story, they looked for any signs warning Americans not to bring weapons. There are signs that tell you to keep right, watch for pedestrians and bicycles, and to “ThinkMetric.” But the only one warning against handguns is right under the Canadian border guard’s window, much too late to turn around.

If you'd like more information about Canadian gun laws, including how to apply to legally bring in hunting weapons, click on the following links.

Facts For Firearm Users Visiting Canada and U.S. Embassy Canada: Bringing Weapons Into Canada.
    Copyright 2009 by KIROTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    Obviously, heres " One child who was left behind"

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    Hmmmm and you know this how?
    Umm, From a buddy of mine. Yeah, that's it!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Umm, From a buddy of mine. Yeah, that's it!
    OK thats your story, stick to it

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    OK thats your story, stick to it
    Sure as Sure, Brother
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Gee, I know some people who have 85 rounds just in the magazines in the guns in the vehicle, let alone the ammo cans in the trunk.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Gee, I know some people who have 85 rounds just in the magazines in the guns in the vehicle, let alone the ammo cans in the trunk.
    Interesting. I suppose they also have pet names for their guns and caress them gently but warmly before tucking them in at night?

No but I know at least one person who's pet is named after a gun.

Is there a problem with owning lots of guns and ammo?? Naming the weapons and sleeping with them in bed is a little odd though.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Is there a problem with owning lots of guns and ammo?? Naming the weapons and sleeping with them in bed is a little odd though.
    Why? it worked in Full Metal Jacket!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Gee imagine owning a cat named BREN or STEN

Some how, calling your dog, "Glock", just don't have a ring to it....and I love my Glock!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Things like this is why archery has gotten so popular recently.No background check when buying it and you can cross borders with little or no hassle.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Things like this is why archery has gotten so popular recently.No background check when buying it and you can cross borders with little or no hassle.
    Kinda hard to conceal carry, though.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Why? it worked in Full Metal Jacket!
    So what are you saying about Marines?

Never slept with my weapon until MCT at Camp Lejeune. We all learned after the first night in the field when the temp got to 25 degrees that you should put your weapon in your sleeping bag with you to prevent condensation, rust, more difficult cleaning, theft, and not being able to find your weapon quickly when some SNCO got a burr up their *** and wanted you awake at zero dark thirty for a simulated attack. Just the way you have to think in a combat situation.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    So what are you saying about Marines?

Never slept with my weapon until MCT at Camp Lejeune. We all learned after the first night in the field when the temp got to 25 degrees that you should put your weapon in your sleeping bag with you to prevent condensation, rust, more difficult cleaning, theft, and not being able to find your weapon quickly when some SNCO got a burr up their *** and wanted you awake at zero dark thirty for a simulated attack. Just the way you have to think in a combat situation.
    I can remember doing that from winter schemes a long time back. Temp down to -40. Damn FNs had all sorts of uncomfortable protuberances though. I rather think that someone with military experience would have more sense than to cross international boundaries without checking on laws. That guy is going to be in big doo-doo I think.

Thread Information