Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Five Ways to Say 'I'm Unprofessional'

Five Ways to Say 'I'm Unprofessional'

By Peter Vogt, Monster Senior Contributing Writer

In most job-filling situations, the employer has the luxury of choosing from several well-qualified applicants, all of whom could probably do the job. That's when the little things, like the common but often unrecognized mistakes described here, almost always come into play. Make sure you avoid them, so they don't cost you a shot at the job.

1. Using a Cutesy Email Address for Correspondence

Example: cutiepie@domain.com, or -- far worse -- something like sexkitten@domain.com.

You Might Think: It's a clever, memorable email address everyone will get a kick out of.

The Employer Will Probably Think: I can't believe someone would actually list this email address on her resume, let alone use it to correspond with me. Will she do the same thing on the job if I hire her? Yikes!

2. Putting a Silly Message on Your Answering Machine

Example: A is for academics, B is for beer -- and one of those reasons is why we're not here. So leave a message, OK?

You Might Think: Mine is the funniest answering machine message this side of the Mississippi. My friends will love it.

The Employer Will Probably Think: Good lord, this person probably lives in Animal House. And I just can't risk interviewing, let alone hiring, someone like Bluto or Flounder. Sorry, Charlie. Click.

3. Sending Your Resume and Cover Letter Without Proofreading

You Might Think: Everybody makes mistakes, even employers. So if there's a mistake or two on my resume, no big deal. The employer probably won't even notice, much less care.

The Employer Will Probably Think: Everybody makes mistakes, even employers. But making more than one minor mistake on a resume or in a cover letter is unacceptable, and often, even one is too many. How do I know this person will proofread the letters he writes to shareholders? What if he someday leaves a zero or two off one of our financial statements? I better put this resume aside and look for someone who's more accurate and thorough.

4. Winging Your Interviews Instead of Preparing Thoroughly

You Might Think: I'm good at thinking on my feet, and if I get stuck, I'll just BS my way through. Besides, they can't expect me to know everything about the company.

The Employer Will Probably Think: This person clearly knows nothing about the company, nor has she made any effort to learn more about us and what we do. She must not really care whether or not she gets the job. I want someone who cares. Oh well, maybe the next person will be better.

5. Failing to Send Thank-You Notes After Interviews

You Might Think: A thank-you note? You're kidding, right? Do people even do that sort of thing anymore?

The Employer Will Probably Think: This person has no follow-up skills, not to mention common courtesy. He could have at least dropped me a quick email note, like this other person did. I think I'll invite this candidate for the second round of interviews instead. The other guy must not really want the position.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Five Ways to Say 'I'm Unprofessional'

By Peter Vogt, Monster Senior Contributing Writer

In most job-filling situations, the employer has the luxury of choosing from several well-qualified applicants, all of whom could probably do the job. That's when the little things, like the common but often unrecognized mistakes described here, almost always come into play. Make sure you avoid them, so they don't cost you a shot at the job.

1. Using a Cutesy Email Address for Correspondence

Example: cutiepie@domain.com, or -- far worse -- something like sexkitten@domain.com.

You Might Think: It's a clever, memorable email address everyone will get a kick out of.

The Employer Will Probably Think: I can't believe someone would actually list this email address on her resume, let alone use it to correspond with me. Will she do the same thing on the job if I hire her? Yikes!

2. Putting a Silly Message on Your Answering Machine

Example: A is for academics, B is for beer -- and one of those reasons is why we're not here. So leave a message, OK?

You Might Think: Mine is the funniest answering machine message this side of the Mississippi. My friends will love it.

The Employer Will Probably Think: Good lord, this person probably lives in Animal House. And I just can't risk interviewing, let alone hiring, someone like Bluto or Flounder. Sorry, Charlie. Click.

3. Sending Your Resume and Cover Letter Without Proofreading

You Might Think: Everybody makes mistakes, even employers. So if there's a mistake or two on my resume, no big deal. The employer probably won't even notice, much less care.

The Employer Will Probably Think: Everybody makes mistakes, even employers. But making more than one minor mistake on a resume or in a cover letter is unacceptable, and often, even one is too many. How do I know this person will proofread the letters he writes to shareholders? What if he someday leaves a zero or two off one of our financial statements? I better put this resume aside and look for someone who's more accurate and thorough.

4. Winging Your Interviews Instead of Preparing Thoroughly

You Might Think: I'm good at thinking on my feet, and if I get stuck, I'll just BS my way through. Besides, they can't expect me to know everything about the company.

The Employer Will Probably Think: This person clearly knows nothing about the company, nor has she made any effort to learn more about us and what we do. She must not really care whether or not she gets the job. I want someone who cares. Oh well, maybe the next person will be better.

5. Failing to Send Thank-You Notes After Interviews

You Might Think: A thank-you note? You're kidding, right? Do people even do that sort of thing anymore?

The Employer Will Probably Think: This person has no follow-up skills, not to mention common courtesy. He could have at least dropped me a quick email note, like this other person did. I think I'll invite this candidate for the second round of interviews instead. The other guy must not really want the position.
    I would add one more. Using the term "Expert" when you are not really an expert. If you are an expert the perspective employer will already know your name and know you are an expert. You won't have to advertise it. For instance. Dan Kaminsky is an expert in DNS, there might be 10 experts total in the world. As my boss has said, if you put that you are an expert on your Resume you had better be an expert. Reason being he will go out and read the RFC or do the research to come up with the toughest questions imaginable.

Practice what you preach.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    Practice what you preach.
    You never hear me using the term 'Expert"

Buckle up boys! Here we go!

And their off!

The 5, the 10, the 20 the 35, He could go all the way!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Maybe you've never said you were an expert verbatim but you try to instill a vision that you are. You spout off about physics and are revealed to know zero about the topic on hand. You run your mouth off about spelling, IT, and firefighting as a whole and you are always met with the same fate. I'm sure you get a hard on when you get such negative attention, but please realize probies and recruits read your crap and it's ruining them. You have your fun with us by being an obvious troll but what about the 17 year old looking for information?what if, god forbid, he takes anything you've ever said as truth?

It absolutely disgust me to hear you label yourself a firefighter, a title I have fought tooth and nail to acheive. I read my books and asked my leaders questions, I didn't use google. I threw ladders until I was sore, I didn't use wikipedia. I proudly served my country and my commander, regardless of my distaste of him, I didn't just complain about my country. And most of all, I kept my mouth shut on things I didn't know of. So in you're case, we should just call you Helen Keller from now on.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    Maybe you've never said you were an expert verbatim but you try to instill a vision that you are. You spout off about physics and are revealed to know zero about the topic on hand. You run your mouth off about spelling, IT, and firefighting as a whole and you are always met with the same fate. I'm sure you get a hard on when you get such negative attention, but please realize probies and recruits read your crap and it's ruining them. You have your fun with us by being an obvious troll but what about the 17 year old looking for information?what if, god forbid, he takes anything you've ever said as truth?

It absolutely disgust me to hear you label yourself a firefighter, a title I have fought tooth and nail to acheive. I read my books and asked my leaders questions, I didn't use google. I threw ladders until I was sore, I didn't use wikipedia. I proudly served my country and my commander, regardless of my distaste of him, I didn't just complain about my country. And most of all, I kept my mouth shut on things I didn't know of. So in you're case, we should just call you Helen Keller from now on.
    I too proudly served my country, although we had a terrible leader at the time (Jimmy Carter), we followed his wishes. I guess the difference between you and I is I question authority and I question people. I don't take what anyone says on blind faith. The worst explanation a person can give as to hwy something is done a particular way is "we have always done it this way" followed closely by "We do it this way because it works for us" Both of those statements say that you really don't know why you are doing it that way.

I try to use physics, science, and math because that is how things are best explained and proven. I provide references to those facts and information I post, unfortunately very few others post references, you are supposed to follow them on blind faith. Prove me wrong on matters of fact and I accept that. Realize that proof requires a reference.

Oh trust me, I'm a tattooed, atheist, marine. I have never accepted anything on blind faith. I am about as far from the average member as you are from being a contributing member of society.

Unfortunately for you, common sense doesn't fall under a reference.
    Last edited by tajm611; 11-28-2009 at 05:51 AM.

Come on now brother, don't lose your faith, that and hope is what keeps us going. And for the love of Pete, don't lose them because of StormCrow. Trust me brother he couldn't hold your jock strap.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Come on now brother, don't lose your faith, that and hope is what keeps us going. And for the love of Pete, don't lose them because of StormCrow. Trust me brother he couldn't hold your jock strap.
    And unlike you, I don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    And unlike you, I don't want to.
    Ok I walked into that one. You got me.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

" I'm unprofessional if I respond to any comment I do not agree with by using personal attacks, rants, and name calling, rather than refuting by using factual and reasoned arguments"

Sometime to be professional, you have to talk to people in a way that they will understand!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

I haven't had to wear a cup since my probie days were over.....

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    " I'm unprofessional if I respond to any comment I do not agree with by using personal attacks, rants, and name calling, rather than refuting by using factual and reasoned arguments"
    In that case. we've all been guilty, haven't we?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Yep, ashamed to say I am as guilty as many others. I'm trying to reform my thought processes. I will admit if I am wrong though.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Who has the signature that says something like "Never argue with an idiot. Eventually he will bring you down to his level." Or words to that affect?

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Who has the signature that says something like "Never argue with an idiot. Eventually he will bring you down to his level." Or words to that affect?
    That would be Marty, if I'm not mistaken.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Yes we have, although some do it more than others.

I wonder why?
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Thread Information