Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: opticom

MembersZone Subscriber

Default opticom

Something for you all to look out for. We speced and took delivery of a new brush/rescue truck. We spec'd a new lightbar with an opticom integrated into it. After a few calls we found that it failed to trigger the light. We looked into it and the supplier of the lightbar to the manufacturer had replaced the 3m opticom with a off brand unit. He made money off us. We went back after them and they did make it right and gave us what we ordered. Just an FYI to make sure you get what you spec and are not being ripped off.

I'm confused, who actually swapped it?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Quote Originally Posted by HFDINSTR View Post
    Something for you all to look out for. We speced and took delivery of a new brush/rescue truck. We spec'd a new lightbar with an opticom integrated into it. After a few calls we found that it failed to trigger the light. We looked into it and the supplier of the lightbar to the manufacturer had replaced the 3m opticom with a off brand unit. He made money off us. We went back after them and they did make it right and gave us what we ordered. Just an FYI to make sure you get what you spec and are not being ripped off.

What? You or your department didn't inspect the rig against the specs???

You can go after the company who installed the light bar and by law make them replaced the unit. Even if your department had "approved equal", that must meet or exceed the type specified.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    I'm confused, who actually swapped it?
    A representative from 3m came out and swapped it out for us. They inturn went after the distributer of the lightbar for not providing what was in our spec. The builder just bolted it on when building and tested it. Yes it worked but because its part of the lightbar he was unaware that it was not a true opticom 3m model.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    What? You or your department didn't inspect the rig against the specs???

You can go after the company who installed the light bar and by law make them replaced the unit. Even if your department had "approved equal", that must meet or exceed the type specified.
    We did inspect it but with out removing the lenses on the light bar and knowing exactly what you are looking for according to the 3m rep you would not be able to know what the differences between the true opticom and the "fake" opticom are.

3m is going after the distributer for us. They have made it right with us and we are happy. It's now between them.

Ok, who made this lightbar?

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok, who made this lightbar?
    Whelen 54" LED Liberty sl8errrr with integrated 3m opticom and rear traffic advisor.

Quote Originally Posted by HFDINSTR View Post
    Whelen 54" LED Liberty sl8errrr with integrated 3m opticom and rear traffic advisor.
    But who was the distributor that put in the off-brand opticom? That's what I'm trying to get at. I know Whelen didn't do it at their factory.

MembersZone Subscriber

But who was the distributor that put in the off-brand opticom? That's what I'm trying to get at. I know Whelen didn't do it at their factory.
    A distributer near Somerset Wisc. I am unsure as to which one. Our truck was built by a small shop near Somerset. By small I mean 1 man and a garage.

Forum Member

The true OptiCom usually will have the 3M logo on the equipment. We have them integrated into the Whelen 9M and Freedom series light bars.

C6

Forum Member

I would think that if you spec and Opticom Emitter and they put on brand XYZ that looks almost identical..it's still not made by 3M, and it should be replaced. The guy probably saw how much the 3M emitter was and said screw that I'll get the cheaper off brand.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

3M sold Opticom a couple years ago. You won't see the 3M logo on these units anymore. Go to this link.

http://www.3m.com/product/informatio...mc_id=keymatch

Quote Originally Posted by retiredtruckman
    3M sold Opticom a couple years ago. You won't see the 3M logo on these units anymore.
    You are half right.

The sale was to TorQuest Partners Inc., a Toronto based private investment firm. After the purchase, they made a new company called Global Traffic Technologies. As of today, all the opticoms still carry the 3M logo (sticker) on them. With the advent of new technology and the use of LED's, has the sticker with 3M been deleted.

3M will still be found on the facing of the infrared opticoms until the change over to the LED's .

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Thread Information