1. #1
    Forum Member
    Rice09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    177

    Default SCBA Facepiece Lens

    Any of you have experience with the Facepiece lens kit or Eyeglass holder? There are a few members in my dept. that wear glasses and not contacts that take the glasses off for the air mask. I looked into getting the kit instead of fighting blind. I feel it's important to see the best you can considering the task at hand. I wear contacts 24-7. However, there are times when this is a slight hassle when a call comes in and you don't have your contacts in. I recommended those who needed glasses/contacts to have their own mask. Your thoughts....

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    213

    Default

    our MSA masks have a special nosepiece that you can buy that allows you to acutally put what looks like glasses without the earpieces into it. That way when you put the scba mask on the glasses sit just like they would if you were wearing regular glasses. I dont have any ideas on scott, i dont use the mask so someone else would have to answer for them.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    DubyaVFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Maitland, NS, Canada
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Since in our volunteer halls you never know what (or which department's!) SCBA you might need to use, I carry an MSA removable spectacle kit in a case in the label pocket of my gear.

    I have used this spectacle kit without problems in MSA Ultravue, ISI Magnum Plus, Scott AV2000 and Sperian TwentyTwenty facepieces. The spring arms allow the kit to adapt to all of them with little problem, although I have found that in the case of the TwentyTwenty, a Medium facepiece leaves my specs squished against my face a little. Uncomfortable, but workable - and I really oughta have a Large facepiece on anyway

    I'm dying to try the Sperian spectacle kit - apparently it allows you to wear the frames as glasses when you're not on SCBA, which would make fireground life way simpler for us four-eye types...
    Last edited by DubyaVFF; 11-28-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Link
    "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Scott does have an eyeglass insert for the mask. It works well and fits snuggly on your face.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,112

    Default

    We have the eyeglass inserts for our SCOTT masks. The department issues them if you have glasses. They easily clip in and out of the mask for when you are wearing your contacts. Very easy to use and works great.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    FFWALT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Rice09,

    Our department wondered how to deal with the same situation. When I was deployed previously I got a pair of combat frames that work under a military gas mask and can be worn as regular (although not sexy) glasses. Tried them under a SCBA mask and they work just fine without a problem getting a seal.

    Our department got them for our members that wanted them and everyone loves them. Especially the fact that when you take your mask off you can still see. Put them on when you gear up and it doesn't matter what mask you grab. It was a lot cheaper and easier than putting inserts inside the mask.

    Below are links to the US Cav and Ranger Joe's websites that show the frames I'm talking about. Action Gear (Brigade Quartermaster) also sells them. I'd recommend checking each one out because you can see there are differences in prices between companies at different times. I'd also suggest getting an extra strap. Once you get the frames take them to your optical shop and they can get lenses for you.


    US Cav: http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.asp...abID=1&CatID=4

    Ranger Joe's: http://www.rangerjoes.com/eyewear-ma...ize-p-457.html

    Worth the money, simple and quick to don when needed.

    Walt
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFWALT View Post
    Rice09,

    Our department wondered how to deal with the same situation. When I was deployed previously I got a pair of combat frames that work under a military gas mask and can be worn as regular (although not sexy) glasses. Tried them under a SCBA mask and they work just fine without a problem getting a seal.

    Our department got them for our members that wanted them and everyone loves them. Especially the fact that when you take your mask off you can still see. Put them on when you gear up and it doesn't matter what mask you grab. It was a lot cheaper and easier than putting inserts inside the mask.

    Below are links to the US Cav and Ranger Joe's websites that show the frames I'm talking about. Action Gear (Brigade Quartermaster) also sells them. I'd recommend checking each one out because you can see there are differences in prices between companies at different times. I'd also suggest getting an extra strap. Once you get the frames take them to your optical shop and they can get lenses for you.


    US Cav: http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.asp...abID=1&CatID=4

    Ranger Joe's: http://www.rangerjoes.com/eyewear-ma...ize-p-457.html

    Worth the money, simple and quick to don when needed.

    Walt
    These are no longer worn by the US Military under M40 masks due to penetration of the seal. M40 masks are now issued with corrective lens frame kits for those who need them. Any penetration of the facepiece seal is forbidden by all SCBA manufacturers as well as 29CFR1910.134- which mandates that you use manufacturer approved devices only. In addition, in many states, Employers are required to provide corrective lens devices for you (and volunteer fire departments fall under the definition of "employer.")
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Rice09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Found these. Don't know how well they work though:

    http://www.smokespec.com/

  9. #9
    Back In Black
    ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Get lasik. I did over 10 years ago and never regretted it.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Rice09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Get lasik. I did over 10 years ago and never regretted it.
    ya know, I've actually been thinking about it. How was it for you?

  11. #11
    Back In Black
    ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rice09 View Post
    ya know, I've actually been thinking about it. How was it for you?
    Well, when I got it, they still used a little slicer to make the initial cut.. and then they zapped it with a laser.

    I have a little "halo" around bright lights at night, but I don't even notice anymore. The newer procedures have largely solved that. I have big pupils, and i'm not even stoned! So, they told me I might have that problem when they did it.

    However, I have never regretted it. Made swimming, scuba diving, firefighting, skiing, getting up in the middle of the night...etc. much better.
    .
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Rice09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Well, when I got it, they still used a little slicer to make the initial cut.. and then they zapped it with a laser.

    I have a little "halo" around bright lights at night, but I don't even notice anymore. The newer procedures have largely solved that. I have big pupils, and i'm not even stoned! So, they told me I might have that problem when they did it.

    However, I have never regretted it. Made swimming, scuba diving, firefighting, skiing, getting up in the middle of the night...etc. much better.
    .
    Well, considering the investment that glasses, contacts and annual exams cost, it looks like it pays for itself. I'll look into it.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    johnny46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rice09 View Post
    Any of you have experience with the Facepiece lens kit or Eyeglass holder? There are a few members in my dept. that wear glasses and not contacts that take the glasses off for the air mask. I looked into getting the kit instead of fighting blind. I feel it's important to see the best you can considering the task at hand. I wear contacts 24-7. However, there are times when this is a slight hassle when a call comes in and you don't have your contacts in. I recommended those who needed glasses/contacts to have their own mask. Your thoughts....
    4 EYES!!!! AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!





    srsly. I used rec specs.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default

    or if your like me and your cornea is to thin then your SOL although when i'm 50 permanent contacts are going in.

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    DeputyMarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    As far as I know all of the major SCBA manufacturers offer eyeglass kits to fit their masks. (I recently started using the Scott kit when I'm not wearing my contacts and it's worked out just fine so far.)

    Be aware that, if you're in an OSHA state and probably in some other states as well, the employer is responsible for supplying both the kit and paying for the prescription lenses. (Who pays for the eye exam is up to your health insurance.)
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Scba Facepiece Fog Up
    By ChrisTighe1981 in forum Fireground Tactics
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-23-2009, 04:05 PM
  2. bourke lens
    By robbinkley in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-05-2007, 01:54 PM
  3. Scott AV-2000 facepiece spectacle lens kits
    By NoVaTexEMT in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 12:46 PM
  4. SCBA facepiece/radio interface equipment
    By lmolmo in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 03:54 PM
  5. TIC Lens Fogging
    By LeftyScot in forum Thermal Imaging Cameras
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-21-2001, 12:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register