Default Preparing for Seasonal Job Applications

Hello everyone,

I am interested in starting off my career in the Fire Service with a hopeful wildland job over Summer 2010, with USFS, BLM, contractors, etc. Right now I'm currently a Clark County Fire Department Explorer, and by the end of the program (hopefully by Summer 2010) I'll have my Red Card, Haz Mat, and FF I through the explorers. I was going to try to get my EMT Basic done, but the spots filled up too fast for me to get a spot in any of the classes (I'm checking everyday). I've done some reading on the website, and it helped, but I still have a couple questions.

So, my questions are as follows:
    If I don't end up getting my EMT-B, is that as detrimental as it seems to my chances of getting a spot?
    When do the job postings usually become available (I want to get in as early as possible)?
    Do I need the certifications when I apply or by the time the job actually starts?
    When does the job normally start?
    Are certain areas (I would love to score a job up in Denali) harder/easier to get into with the above certifications? Some more aimed for beginning firefighters?
    Is there any insider info, like experiences in the seasonal gig I could have?
    Is there any other advice on taking a seasonal job that I haven't inquired for?

Thanks so much for any answers/advice, I'm really looking forward to taking my first steps into the Fire Service. I'll post any more questions I come up with.

Kyle Titus

Forum Member

Kyle,

EMT-B is not a requirment to work for the Fed wildland agencies. Being able to fill out a AVUE application and having a HS diploma or GED is. Also make sure you are registered with the selective service. Other than that the basic wildlandfire fighting courses will help you get a job. Plus going to see each person that could possibly be hiring and getting your face out there will help. If you have any more questions I would be glad to help just PM me.
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

MembersZone Subscriber

If you go to visit anybody at their stations, make sure you bring a pair of running shoes and clothes with you. Some crews might ask you to go on a run with them to see where you stand in your physical fitness. Also check out USAJOBS.Gov.

Thread Information