Forum Member

Default Volunteer live-in position.

What are some of your thoughts regarding volunteer live-in positions.

I currently am applying for a live-in position with Monroeville VFD Station 5 outside of Pittsburgh. They average 1,400+ calls a year [abuot 50-50 fire/ems] and it's strictly a volunteer fire service and ALS EMS service.

What do you think some pros/cons would be?

I personally think it will be great for a "fire-buff" college student like me.
    A man is not finished when he is defeated; He is finished when he QUITS!

-Former U.S. President Richard M. Nixon.

Forum Member

Whatever floats your boat...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

There really are no downsides, either for you, the department or the community as it works to keep the response volunteer.

This will give you the chance to make more runs and will give you much more experience. It will also give you additional time to train.

We currently have 5 live-in firefighters living in mobile homes acquired from FEMA at 3 of our stations. It provides instant response when they are there, and more importantly, gives us credit on our rating for 5 paid positions since they are scheduled to be at their station (or Central Station) 45 hours each week at absolutely no cost to us beyond the minimal maintenance and utilities on the mobile homes. It's a hell of a deal for our residents.

Total cost of all 3 units was less than 25K, and yearly costs for all 3 runs less than 3K.

The station we acquired under contract on the National Guard facility has 6 bunk rooms, which has the potential of giving us another 6 "paid" positions at absolutely no cost to our residents, as the military pays for utilities and maintainence, once a few issues are cleared up with the military. We expect to be able to utilize this station as a live-in facility within the next 6 months.

The only downside to this facility is that the station actually sits about 2 miles into the neighboring parish.

Forum Member

Wink

I met a young college student at a fire department leadership and management class last Saturday. He and some of the station officers told me they are letting him room at the station while attending the college. He will respond of course, but I thought it was a practical arrangement that had not occured to me.

Forum Member

Yeah, all good valid points.

I just applied today, and it will be brought up on Dec. 1st. I'm pretty anxious to know if I get the spot.

Forum Member

Live In programs are excellent. The only experience I have with live-in programs is that of the Shepherdstown Fire Department (www.shepherdstownfiredepartment.com) which has VERY nice live-in facilities/amenities and is perfect for students going to Shepherd University, or the fire science and/or paramedic programs at Blue Ridge Technical College just 7 miles away. Response times have definitely improved....
    Last edited by CustomShields; 11-29-2009 at 10:52 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

In general, live in programs are great for both sides. They provide station staffing for the department and experience for the live in member.

A couple of issue to keep in ming though. I have seen the live ins get burned out quickly due to the call volume and the assumption that they would handle all of the "BS" calls. Be sure to make arrangements as to when you are expected to respond and when you are "off-duty".

Downside to the department can depend on the person living in. Issues with bunk room cleanliness, dishes left in the sink, clothes in the washer etc can be a problem. There can also be issues if the live-in want's to go out to the bar on the evening and them come back to the station. Since that's where they live, they have to be disciplined enough not to run calls and the department has to know that they are out of service.

If the expectations are worked out up front, there should be no problems.

Forum Member

I got the position.

I can move in any time after I finish my semster at college [the 19th] and my probation will start January 1st. I'm pretty excited about this and I am looking forward to the experience!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BIKERinBLACK View Post
    I got the position.

I can move in any time after I finish my semster at college [the 19th] and my probation will start January 1st. I'm pretty excited about this and I am looking forward to the experience!

From my perspective, I would not do a live in.

What about your girl friend? Do you have one? What if you decide to hit a bar and down several tall adult drinks and come in the fire house stumbling over beds and making an ***** out of yourself, what then?

And the girl friend, you can't take her to the engine house where you are living and expect the other members to sit by as you two get it on! You haven't thought about any of these, Huh??
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

What about your girl friend? Do you have one? What if you decide to hit a bar and down several tall adult drinks and come in the fire house stumbling over beds and making an ***** out of yourself, what then?

And the girl friend, you can't take her to the engine house where you are living and expect the other members to sit by as you two get it on! You haven't thought about any of these, Huh??
    Lol, very valid points.

MembersZone Subscriber

Now a days, there are these things called motels....

Otherwise, share and share alike!

Forum Member

Kinda like what happened here? From Statter 911...

http://www.statter911.com/2009/12/01...d-as-a-toilet/
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Invite her in, then get caught while she's giving you a blumpkin. No one will say anything. You're home free from then on.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Aww C'mon,
    like any other firehouse antic a roll in the hay in the bunkroom is just fine as long as you follow some simple rules
    A) don't get caught
    B) don't do the nasty with a coworker while on duty
    C) don't wake anyone else up with all that moaning
    D) do share the bounty...I mean booty, which supercedes rules A, B and C

On the other hand who wouldn't be be ****ed if they got ****ed on.... (except you golden shower lovers of course)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Whatever floats your boat...
    Unless what floats your boat is the blood of innocents. We're all against that, right guys?
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Thread Information